Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM

552 posts, read 834,581 times

Advertisements

next time only take $1 at a time, not $5... apparently that's too big of a denomination for your cafe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
I work in a place where someone is known by management to be stealing. I seem to have been targetted by this person because he doesn't like me. I'm not "hot" and so therefore I have no value. Management won't let me count down my drawer. If I do I am "insubordinate". Tonight I got sent home early because of counting my drawer. It didn't cost me any money because I was there less than three hours. My drawer is often coming up short by five dollars and I am required to pay it or get written up AND I am not allowed to count my drawer at the end of the night. I am told it's just me, that I am careless and incompetant. But I have figured out the scam. First, there is more than one key. Second, the expected amount of cash is inflated by ringing in extra items while I am away. I cannot lock this feature of my drawer, although I can lock the cash (with the key that opens three drawers, the copy of which is AWOL). I don't know what to do. This sucks. I will be fired. I have worked there for two years without incident until this began. Ridiculous. Oh, and my register is in a major walkway; I often have to get things from the back of my workplace well out of earshot of the register.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:29 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
That's just bad practice to have multiple people on the same register. When I was a cashier at a retailer, it wasn't a great job, but they seemed to have enough common sense about these things...
1) only I was able to open and close up my register
2) when someone offers their ID as requested, tell them they need to take it out of the wallet and give you just that. Else, they can claim you swiped some of their cash
3) check all IDs. The ATF or the state can send an underaged person to try to catch you in the act of selling tobacco to minors.
4) try to watch your register when you're away from it. A mother once had a cashier walk a bit away from the register while her daughter stole money from it.

Reminds me of a friend in the Army when he was deployed in Iraq... there was one computer for the whole platoon's use. One person uses the internet for unauthorized purposes, and of course, the whole group is now out of internet privileges.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza D View Post
I don't know what to do.
Unless you can sit down with your employers and explain how poor their procedures are - and present them with a comprehensive plan to effect change to eliminate all the loopholes - look for another job. Being fired is not a good option. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:19 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
I never understood how restaurants like that work where there's like 3-5 different people ringing off the same register. Even if you each have your own login to the POS system, your still all fishing money out of the same drawer. How do they blame this on you or how do they say its you and not someone else?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 PM

587 posts, read 915,514 times
If you work for a chain, contact the loss prevention team or a regional manager. Someone should be taking this seriously. Drawers coming up $5 short or over on a regular basis is a sign that someone is stealing. They could be stealing quite a bit. If a supervisor refuses to investigate, they are either stupid or part of the scam themselves.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Is there more than one manager? Have you talked toady other employees about this that are willing to come forward? Awful situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment