Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,609,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Enjoy your new job.
I'm grossing $1650 a week. Makes it easier to tolerate the 4 hours a day I have to deal with the immaturity that is on night shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
As you said, it's time to leave it alone. Your boss said he would handle it - let him.
That's my plan... My boss was there Saturday and he said exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Avoid, and reported to boss. Be non-emotional and polite in any further necessary interactions.

That's it.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post

How did guy #2 (the middle man) react when guy #3 was flipping out? Was he smiling? Did he do anything to calm him down?

It was stupid of guy #2 to say anything. He might actually enjoy setting him off, knowing his reactive personality and find it "fun"

I might ask around more on the day-shift about this guy to get a better idea of his motivations.
I didn't see the #2 guy... The night shift takes their 20 min break at 5... They came out of break room and I didn't see him.

He'll be there tomorrow but I'm letting it go. I value my job and see no need to pursue anything. My comment was directed to a 3rd party... If he tried to pursue anything it's a he said/she said thing... I don't expect anything else to be said about it but if there was my boss has already told me that he will sit the two of us down with himself and the VP to get things sorted out.

I'm just gonna avoid those night shift guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
My advice, informed by 35 years as a field construction boilermaker at every level from apprentice to union steward and senior general foreman, is to Hell with the guy, let it go. In other words, f*#k it.
My thoughts exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,356,184 times
sounds like a good plan to me.

Just surprised by some of the reactions around here. Just goes to show a real life situation is a whole lot different than a message board of "experts"

Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 PM

417 posts, read 869,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Had a little workplace drama yesterday afternoon.

About an hour before i was due to leave at 530pm I walked up to a guy who works the night shift and asked him about a part that I was working on... I had never met or talked to him or seen him talk to anyone else. I've been on this job 3 weeks.

I was supposed to finish the part and give it to him when I was done so he could weld it... Anyway... I was standing right next to him and he looked right at me.... Didn't say a word and walked away. He is an Asian.

So I asked another employee "Does that guy speak English? He didn't acknowledge me at all when I asked him something."

Well 20 mins later I hear the Asian guy cussing up a storm and yelling at me to F off and everything else from all the way across the shop. Yep, the other employee went and told him what I asked.... (And who knows what else)

I called my boss about it after work and he said not to worry about it. Just to let it go and he would deal with it Monday if it's brought up.

I didn't mean to offend anyone and it damn sure wasn't racially motivated. Not sure what I am supposed to think when I ask someone whom I've never met before a question and they don't respond... The Asian population here is pretty big and the people I know most DON'T speak English. My hairdresser has a translator!

The whole thing was stupid drama stirred up by the other guy who told him what I said just to incite a bunch of crap.

Thoughts?
What prison is this?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,609,966 times
To update... I'm at work and there hasn't been any issues. The guy I offended hasn't said anything to me.

The 3rd party that told him what I asked came up to me "I owe you an apology. I didn't intend for all that to happen."

I took it with a grain of salt and called it good.

It's a good job paying good money and I avoid Seattle traffic... I like it and am just gonna keep a low profile the 4 hours every afternoon I have to work with the night shift.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,356,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
To update... I'm at work and there hasn't been any issues. The guy I offended hasn't said anything to me.

The 3rd party that told him what I asked came up to me "I owe you an apology. I didn't intend for all that to happen."

I took it with a grain of salt and called it good.

It's a good job paying good money and I avoid Seattle traffic... I like it and am just gonna keep a low profile the 4 hours every afternoon I have to work with the night shift.
wow an apology, and it sounds like he apologized on his own without any discussion, that is kind of amazing and not common.

I'd call that pretty good. At least you got that much, I'd feel more comfortable.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 PM

137 posts, read 200,058 times
It wasn't racist. People jump on that word like it's going out of style. It was a bad situation, worsened by your other co-worker. I would say watch what you saying going forward just to be on the safe side. Try not to stress it. If your boss said he would take care of it and didn't make any comments that sounded unfavorable to you, then you're okay.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,341,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yes, it was offensive. Assuming because someone is "Asian" that they don't speak English is pretty racist. Just ask yourself (and try to be honest) ... if the guy was Caucasian, would you have said that?

You might have said ... "what's up with that guy ... why didn't he answer me when I asked a question?"
Normally I'd agree with you, but the Asian guy brought it on himself by acting weird and ignoring his question before walking away. Since he didn't make an effort to respond to someone who was clearly communicating to him, wondering whether or not he understood what was said to him would have been a normal deduction, I'd say. Again, this is assuming that the OP's account is accurate and complete, which it may not be. But if it is, then that's fair game. My wife's Asian, FWIW, so I'm sensitive to anti-Asian racism. But not all cases are the same.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,341,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator34 View Post
I wonder if all the millions of White guys who work menial jobs in China are asked if they speak Chinese.
They probably are if they don't actually make an effort to communicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment