Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 PM

37 posts, read 115,698 times

Advertisements

I made the stupid mistake of talking to my boss/supervisor about my noisy co-workers who have zero work ethic. At first, I thought he was on my side, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I complained and the Controller sent out an email to all employees in finance to say that excessive chatting and noise is not acceptable, despite the fact that we work in a "relaxed" office.

Anyway, the noisy co-workers must have figured out that I was the one who "snitched" on them. What annoys me more is that my so-called supervisor actually TOLD one of them (one of the main instigators of the chatting) that *I* was the one who complained!!! I cannot believe that he did that --- how can I go back to work on Monday, knowing that they know I reported them? I'm already getting bad stares!

He had no reason to tell the lady concerned that I was the one who reported her. At the end of the day, they were the ones making excessive noise and messing around during work time, yet it seems that my boss would rather just say that I complained as opposed to telling them that excessive chatting (about things such as "I only date rich men") will not be tolerated.

Anyway, my boss broke it to me before he left today - he told me that he'd told the particular co-worker that it was me who complained, because he said that there was a lot of "gossip" going around in the office. Still, I can't understand why he TOLD HER! I work opposite this lady...how can I go to work on Monday and look her in the eye???

What should I do? It's a bad time of year to look for a new job, but I am now Mr. Hated at work.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Wow, that stinks. I may be reading more into this than warranted, but it seems that he is sending you a message. Just start looking for a new job and try to stay under the radar until you find something else.

Is the Controller a different person than your boss? Is your boss on a lower tier of the org. chart? If so, and if things get hairy, I would go directly to the controller with your concerns. Your boss has proven to be untrustworthy. Any chance of a transfer to another area?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
So what if they know who told? Do any of them sign your paycheck? They are affecting your career my friend. SO if they say even a word about it, tell then "shut the F up and do some work for a change"!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
So what if they know who told? Do any of them sign your paycheck? They are affecting your career my friend. SO if they say even a word about it, tell then "shut the F up and do some work for a change"!
My thoughts exactly. Why the Hell should you care what these slackers say or think?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Get headphones. No one likes a snitch.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
dont you have a union. telling the boss something in confidence and having him rat you out is not appropriate.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Wow, that stinks. I may be reading more into this than warranted, but it seems that he is sending you a message. Just start looking for a new job and try to stay under the radar until you find something else.

Is the Controller a different person than your boss? Is your boss on a lower tier of the org. chart? If so, and if things get hairy, I would go directly to the controller with your concerns. Your boss has proven to be untrustworthy. Any chance of a transfer to another area?
The Controller is part of the "clique" unfortunately, so she is part of the problem. I went to my boss (the Accounting Manager) in good faith, but now I feel betrayed. He had no reason to tell my co-worker that I had complained when a bunch of them were clearly making too much noise and being too disruptive.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

The Controller is more senior than my boss, yet she is part of the clique at work. He did speak to her and she sent out an email. The email resulted in a lot of gossiping and my boss (in his lack of wisdom) decided to tell one of the offending co-workers who went to him that it was ME who complained. It seems that confidentiality has gone out of the proverbial window.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Get headphones. No one likes a snitch.
That's nice, thank you. As if I can concentrate on my work with headphones on. Thank you for accusing me of being a "snitch" when all I was doing was complaining about EXCESSIVE noise (noise that a client I was on the phone with could CLEARLY hear).

Yeah....I'm just supposed to **** and put up with it, right?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
dont you have a union. telling the boss something in confidence and having him rat you out is not appropriate.
No union and where I live (Florida) is a fire-at-will state. Employee rights simply don't exist here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment