Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 AM

612 posts, read 843,224 times

Advertisements

It seems like at least 15 mins from every hour, of EVERY work day that she's here, that she's always randonly lol'ing, and sometimes makes remarks out loud to herself. No one else is apparently bothered, and I'm a thinner-skinned person, that hates whispering in public places, and constant yawning out loud for instance, so I'm not sure if my anger's truly validated, and if I'm the best judge of character. So I'm curious, is this something that would bother you, if you had to deal with it EVERY day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 AM

291 posts, read 505,762 times
Nope, wouldn't bother me. Some people just like to think out loud. Unless she was really loud or obnoxious and it interferes with my concentration, I wouldn't care.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:37 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
It seems like at least 15 mins from every hour, of EVERY work day that she's here, that she's always randonly lol'ing, and sometimes makes remarks out loud to herself. No one else is apparently bothered, and I'm a thinner-skinned person, that hates whispering in public places, and constant yawning out loud for instance, so I'm not sure if my anger's truly validated, and if I'm the best judge of character. So I'm curious, is this something that would bother you, if you had to deal with it EVERY day?
Are you sure she isn't using Bluetooth and talking on her smartphone?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It is also possible that she has a disability. Your co-workers, in that instance, would be generous and non-judgemental persons willing to give her a chance and that makes you.....

You can't tolerate yawning out loud. I foresee some problems in your future because you are more sensitive than the majority of folks.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:27 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Only be concerned if she talks back and has full blown conversations with herself lol

I tend to talk out loud sometimes- I'm like "Oh, that's right. I have to set up that call! Crap." Then I'll jot it down in my notebook so I'll remember. Also, I'm someone that randomly laughs. Idk why, but sometimes I just happen to think of something funny in my head I just laugh. How do you know they are not listening to a comedy show or goofing off looking at memes on the computer?

Agree with you about the loud yawning- annoying! Even more annoying is people who purposefully sneeze really loud. Is that really necessary, c'mon??

If it bothers you, I would put on headphones and ignore it, or if it just gets to the point where you can't take it anymore maybe see if she can tone it down a bit because you're having a hard time concentrating. Maybe you could even ask her (during her random LOL sessions) what's so funny? If it's nothing, then at least she will be aware of it. Or she may send you a link to a really funny video that you can LOL too as well!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,412 times
Hhahaha funny, we just had a new guy start that ALWAYS talks to himself. Over time you will completely just ignore it. Or start talking out loud to yourself lol

Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM

406 posts, read 559,110 times
I guess everyone has petty things that bother them in the workplace... For me, there's a guy who literally sits a good 30feet, in a different row of cubicles, separated by multiple cube walls from me who smacks and slurps his food so loudly that I can hear him all the way at my desk. This goes on for a good 1.5 hours around lunchtime... Drives me nuts how people eat so obnoxiously in a public setting.

Fortunately, I bring headphones or step away for a break. Also, this is at my secondary work location so I'm only subjected to it once a week, hah.

Edit: also... clipping fingernails/toenails at your desk... flossing at your desk... walking around barefoot in a professional setting. Probably shouldn't, totally bugs me.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
Working in cubicle farms will always have its fair share of annoyances.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Some people do this as a way to get attention, others do it because it's something they do at home and it's become a bad habit. Everyone has a different threshold for filtering out noise, but I can see where this would be distracting.

I'm in an office but have heard complaints from people who are not as fortunate. Some of them wear headphones and don't even have music on.

Everyone is annoyed by something. My biggest annoyances:

Chewing gum at work.
Making loud noises sucking on hard candy.
Wearing copious amounts of cologne or perfume.
Slurping whatever they're drinking.
Saying "anyways".

Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 AM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
This is why I appreciate my relatively low paying but work at home job. AND why (when I work clinically) I appreciate working in a dental office. LOTS of white noise from the drills and suctions to drown out the other random stuff. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment