Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 PM

20,365 posts, read 19,980,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Take the vacation there will be other jobs.
Yeah, and what lucky future employers they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaaxelam View Post
Hey all,

I have been at my current company about 9 months. We don't get any vacation days until after a year. We get 2 floating holidays and 3 sicks days. I used all of these when I went on vacation to Hawaii in May. In July, I have another trip planned, back to the east coast to visit my family. My grandmother has been on and off life support, so this will probably be the last time I see her.

I will be out of work for 8 days. I'm not sure how to ask for these days off. My boss is super awkward to talk to and I cringe every time I have to! Also, we work in the same room, so I feel like emailing him would be strange since I see him everyday.

I'm worried he will have an issue with me leaving, since the other girl that I work with is on maternity leave, and there really won't be anyone else to take over my duties. Is it necessary that I explain that a family member is sick? Should I request the days off in an email before I present him with the paperwork to sign? Regardless, my flight is already booked so there's nothing I can do about it now.
You used 3 sick days and your only other days off to go on vacation to Hawaii? You should cringe. You should have saved your precious 5 days off for an emergency... like seeing a dying relative. Because I have a pretty soft heart and because your grandmother is sick, I might give you the unpaid time off, but I would NOT be happy with you or your priorities and decision making skills. What on earth were you thinking planning 2 trips so close together when you didn't have any vacation time? You should have booked your flight AFTER you got approval. I will not feel the least bit sorry for you if your boss says no and you lose the money you paid for your flight. I mean seriously...

Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
It's not their policy that you can't take vacation days, they are just unpaid. My coworker has taken many unpaid days off once she used up her PTO.
8 is too many to ask for 2 months after you took every single paid day off you had coming to you. At most, I'd ask for 2-3 days to make a long weekend and only because of the dying grandmother (which I have my doubts about. On and off life support? Usually you only go off life support if you die).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Um . . . no

You never use up ALL your leave. It is meant to be there for you in the event of an emergency.

That is like buying a 60" TV when you have no savings. When you get home from the hospital, you may have a big TV to watch, but you won't be able to pay your bills.

I try to keep 2 weeks, just in case.
We are required to keep 3 days worth. I try to keep 2 weeks.

Quote:
That really doesn't bother me. This position is not in my field or industry and I will be leaving shortly.
I hope you don't plan on using anyone there as a reference.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 06-25-2014 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 PM

70 posts, read 96,449 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Hey all,

Should I request the days off in an email before I present him with the paperwork to sign? Regardless, my flight is already booked so there's nothing I can do about it now.
As the US job market slows gets delivered from the depths of Hell where it went in 2008. People are still struggling to find there way. You gripe about vacation? #Seriously #ThisIsToMuch #ICan't Thanks for watching this episode "To Much Vacation" Tune in next time the topic will be "I had to buy my 3yr olds 4th of July Outfit from Walmart cause I was in a hurry! "
Thanks for watching "Rich People Problems"

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,452,684 times
Quote:
That really doesn't bother me. This position is not in my field or industry and I will be leaving shortly.
Do a decent human being a favor and leave now, so someone who actually WANTS a job can have yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment