Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times

Advertisements

Hi, I recently started a new job in a new town. I was hired to replace a person who wanted to move to a different branch of our office in another city. I worked with this coworker for 2-3weeks before he moved away. He was polite with me & answered my questions. He did encourage me to ask him any questions about work in future. Recently i have been emailing him about some work related questions & he just ignores most of my emails. I understand he moved away recently & must be busy settling down in a new town. I dont want to bother him but sometimes its very urgent & i dont know who else to ask as he is the only other person who knows that process. I am not asking him about help with software but questions about the process. I feel maybe he thinks i am inefficient & i should know the solution. I eventually figure out the solution after a lot of struggle but it would be easier if he just responds to my emails & said sorry i cant help you. He ignores even my instant messages (thru office chatting tool). Its so humiliating. I have been working with this software for 5yrs & i know it pretty well. My questions are related to queries like 'do you typically make user accounts for the customer after you load the software' or 'the customer emailed me about a discussion you had with them few weeks back & was asking me the status'. These are the questions only he can answer, not me. I have to work extra to refer to old projects, ask around to figure out the answers.
I dont want to get the manager involved as i am still new here. Not sure how to handle this. Its humiliating to be ignored at workplace like this. Especially on instant messages where his status clearly says available. I would never do that to my coworkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 04:31 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,593 times
He probably thinks you should know how todo your job by now, and isnt going to help hold your hand everyday.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
You should stop contacting him completely. He probably still has a close relationship with your manager and also your co-workers. If you keep bugging him, the will tell others that you are falling behind and need hand-holding.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You should stop contacting him completely. He probably still has a close relationship with your manager and also your co-workers. If you keep bugging him, the will tell others that you are falling behind and need hand-holding.
Thanks for the replies. I understand that i should know by now how to do my job. But this project i am working on right now was designed by him & i am implementing it. My superiors keep telling me to make sure he is on-board with any changes i am making. This morning i told my project leader that he is not responding to my emails. He is a part of this project until its finished.

Anyways i have decided to copy my project lead to any emails i send him.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Are you contacting him on a personal email/number? If you are, that's why he isn't responding.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,486 times
When there is a team established and a member of that team is not acting like a team member, then it's time for the team leader to do what he is paid to do and that is to herd cats.
Don't be scared to make someone else pull their weight before the entire team falls apart.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I discovered many years ago that you should always cc someone's superior with any email that is sent to a coworker using company email. Especially when it is related to a specific assignment that the coworker is involved in.
That way the line of communication on your part is open and your superior can see that you are doing your best to contact this person and get answers.
Then it is up to your superior to take it further if necessary.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
I don't see why he's ignoring you if it's work related, as long as you're not calling on a personal number or email. Hopefully you're not bugging him 24/7.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Are you contacting him on a personal email/number? If you are, that's why he isn't responding.
Nope. Strictly office email & chatting tool created for office. Seems like a trend here not to answer to emails & chats. Couple of weeks back i was emailing someone from another dept. & they didnt reply. I had to go to their desk to ask it personally. My request is still not completed. Its so unprofessional. Maybe ppl here are this way.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I don't see why he's ignoring you if it's work related, as long as you're not calling on a personal number or email. Hopefully you're not bugging him 24/7.
Not at all. I send him maybe 2-3 emails per week to his office email, all related to the project. I wait for response for about 3days & try to get hold of him on instant message. Most times he just ignores. Its like a slap to the face when his status shows available & he does not acknowledge my message. Wondering if i did anything to offend him but i was strictly professional when we worked for a few days together. Nothing like this ever happened in my old workplace. Everyone was so polite & respectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment