Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 AM

106 posts, read 92,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I would not say it is impossible as records are open. In Mass ISBN's are open so anyone can find out what any public school uses for textbooks. So yes you can determine what was read and frankly since papers are submitted electronically they are archived and thus they can be found again.

Grade inflation is iffy because frankly people can and still fail out these days. You have to remember this. If attendance is assured why bother to inflate to begin with? the openness principle worked as pretty much everything submitted as least in publicly funded higher ed is open record.

As for curriculum different majors can view someones work differently. Some majors have different reputations. Sociology easily has printing presses for papers. Business majors might make a five page summary with a gantt chart. Political science and criminal justice might head butt each other on policy and so on.

I'm just saying that sociology major people have 3.8 to 4.0 GPA's and yet they usually can't do anything without complaining about how "unfair" it is, even if it's just addressing an envelope for themselves.

Whereas programming majors might have a 2.5 GPA, but it's because their coursework is so difficult. But how much more difficult is it? What is a 2.5 worth relative to a 4.0?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work324 View Post
It was just an example, but I didn't cover 18 months out of school anyway.

A jump from $50 K to $60 K probably isn't that unreasonable anyway in my example.

18 months or 2 years, the point is the same. He's just starting out in his career. Depending on where he goes in his industry he can make six figures or he can make millions. His college degree was the foundation but he needs additional licensing and certification, so his education doesn't end.

You can't really look four or five years out when you're talking about an investment that will pay off the rest of his working career into retirement.

If you don't feel college is worth it, then don't go. As I always say, it's not for everyone.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,927,494 times
Definitely worth it. Paid off my loans in 5 years and making a salary that would be rare without a college degree. Additionally, my professional license cannot be achieved anymore without the degree I got so for the foreseeable future there is some professional limit of supply. It's not a rare license (PE) but it does have a degreed barrier to entry.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,840,419 times
Quote:
I'm just saying that sociology major people have 3.8 to 4.0 GPA's and yet they usually can't do anything without complaining about how "unfair" it is, even if it's just addressing an envelope for themselves.

Whereas programming majors might have a 2.5 GPA, but it's because their coursework is so difficult. But how much more difficult is it? What is a 2.5 worth relative to a 4.0?
Well that deals with the rubric and how they grade. I take online classes and part of it peer reviews. At one point I had some essays that varied. One was bad English but I could get the point. The other was well written but it did not answer the question...at all. I failed the second one.

Eventually with any discipline graduates can determine what is good and what is not. Of course teaching styles can differ as well. Here's an example. High school/jr math. Ok so students submit their homework, the teacher grades them and it comes back. Ok fine but how long does this take specifically? The teacher teaches to students, they take notes and this is what is worked on. Instead there is a new method called the 360. the students are doing the problems on the blackboards and the teacher is in the center viewing them doing the work. Gifted students assist those that are behind and it becomes more visual to the teacher of placement rather then the back and forth.

I don't think sociology is about fairness. Just as sciences should not really be about patents.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,934,386 times
It's worth it as long as you major in nursing, engineering, computer science, majors that have a high payback.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
It wasn't worth it for me until I landed my current job in March. I was an economics major, but was stuck working in call centers. For most people, I would say college is not worth it.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 PM

306 posts, read 547,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Curious to hear from those who bit the bullet, took out student loans, and now have been working in the "real world" for some time... Was it worth it to take out those loans? How are you making a dent in them? Did the resulting degree really make a big difference?
College - absolutely!

Student loans - absolutely not!

Had I been a little wiser, I'd have saved up for a year or so before going to college. But I'm paying off my student loans, and I've taken some drastic measures to pay them off ASAP. I'm much more frugal now than I've ever been, and it started because of the student loans, and I'm glad I'm frugal so I guess the loans did help me get there .....

Old 07-13-2014, 01:16 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,560,734 times
Quote:
Yeah, you are. You're just skipping the low-level part of the salary curve by going to college.

For example, you might make next to nothing, say $5 K for Year 1, $15K Year 2, $30K Year 3, $40 K Year 4, and $50 K Year 5 on until you are promoted if you don't have a degree and start at $50 K if you go to college.

So you can make $90K during your 1st 4 years or be $100K in debt during your first 4 years. +90 is a LOT better than -100, especially since -100 grows if you don't pay it back right away.
Is that really how it works though? Every article I've read about the subject notes that on average, college graduates still make $1M+ more than those without college degrees over the course of their careers. I assume that's how the quoted poster came up with "an additional $20k / year" for college grads.

What percentage of high-school only graduates do you think are making $50k / year at 22 years old? Do you think it's greater than the percentage of 22 year-old college degree holders making $50k?

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 07-13-2014 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 02:28 PM

35 posts, read 43,198 times
If I could take it back, I would. I was doing better before my degree than now. Then again, I have a bachelors in Business Administration-nothing specialized about that. What was I thinking???

Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM

35 posts, read 43,198 times
[quote=Mikelee81;35604043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
Curious to hear from those who bit the bullet, took out student loans, and now have been working in the "real world" for some time... Was it worth it to take out those loans? How are you making a dent in them? Did the resulting degree really make a big difference?[/quote]

No. So far the two degrees I have (Business Administration; Nutrition Science) have been a very expensive piece of paper. The market pay for jobs available in this area don't even touch the surface of the cost of education. In most positions, the education is seen as "preferred" but not required. There are MANY people with BS/BA degrees that are saying the same thing. The secondary education in this country is in a HUGE bubble.

I wish I never went to college in the first place. I would have greater success if I never had been so foolish to take out student loans. The results would have been the same, but with less debt.

And as the Bible says..

Proverbs 22:7
The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.

and the Bible is always right. I wish that I would have listened this council early on.
Same here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment