Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 PM

331 posts, read 547,963 times

Advertisements

About 2 months ago I made a thread about how my manager at my staffing agency (who works in a different town than I) had disappeared during the middle of an important instant message conversation, leaving me worried for the rest of the day and night because the last thing she said sounded like an implication that I might get fired. She eventually got back to me, but I still though it was inconsiderate for her to leave me hanging the first time. Well, she pulled another disappearing act 2 days ago.

Summary:
  • She starts an instant message convo with me and asks me whether I might want to work on the client company's campus for 1 week every month. (I work in the middle of nowhere, for no good reason, and hate it, although I've never vocalized the fact that I hate it.)
  • I tell her that I'd be thrilled to. Then I tell her that I was planning to, sometime in the future, ask my other manager, the one at the client company, whether working "onsite" could be a more permanent arrangement.
  • At this point my manager gives an evasive answer, something like, "Well, there might be security concerns, since you were hired as part of [the team that works in the middle of nowhere]. There's a new vendor management team." (What????? I worked on-campus last week and there were no 'security concerns' or whatever. My other manager, the one at the client company, doesn't care where I work, as long as I'm connected to the network and able to finish my work items on-time.)
  • I ask her if she could elaborate on rules pertaining to where I can work.
  • She suddenly signs offline. She signs back on later in the day but sets her status to "Away" so that no one can contact her.
  • Early the next morning I shoot her an email saying, "Hi, [her name]. Just to summarize what I said in our conversation today, I am happy for the opportunity to work onsite for 1 week every month, and I mentioned that once I get more integrated with my new team I was going to inquire about working onsite like several of my other teammates do. If you want to talk to me by phone, just let me know. Have a good Friday!"
  • She ignores that email. She was signed in yesterday and I have trouble believing that she forgot to read it or forgot to respond.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? I've been worried this weekend because, well, it's worrisome when your manager is avoiding you. I have a feeling she just doesn't want to speak with me. When her manager, the executive, pays my site a visit, should I bring up to him the fact that my manager has ignored me twice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Something is badly amiss and I've never had someone ignore me like this, especially when asking honest questions. I would bring it up to the more senior manager.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Is there some reason you cannot pick up the phone and call her after waiting for thirty minutes?

Old 07-19-2014, 01:20 PM

331 posts, read 547,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Is there some reason you cannot pick up the phone and call her after waiting for thirty minutes?
She's made it clear that she doesn't want to continue the conversation.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM

If you're saying she's made it clear by not continuing, I would still call her. To me, that's not clear enough. If she told you that, then that's a different story, in which case I wouldn't have any conversations that are important to me via chat. She's not going to stop this habit of hers and she may be doing it on purpose knowing you go into a tailspin every time she does it.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,452 times
Oh great, another post by the OP which does nothing but complain.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Oh great, another post by the OP which does nothing but complain.

I have to disagree with you here. This poster has a legitimate concern and is simply asking for help in how to deal with it. As noted in the initial post, this isn't the first time the manager has done this.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,300 times
Pick up the phone.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:03 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have to disagree with you here. This poster has a legitimate concern and is simply asking for help in how to deal with it. As noted in the initial post, this isn't the first time the manager has done this.
Right.

Though, if I was the OP, I would avoid using texts for discussions as this.
A telephone call would be more appropriate for long-winded discussions such as this.

This isn't a simple "I am running late" which can be accomplished with a text.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
It seems having read some of your other threads, you are anxious, understand. You need to face your fears and have a discussion with management. Or if you already know inside something is amiss and don't want to share, then let us know you are venting, and quietly look for another job. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment