Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM

818 posts, read 1,021,615 times

Advertisements

What do you think about someone who has a security clearance who insists their phones are tapped and they are constantly being harassed for no reason? Have you known someone or experienced this? Eavesdropping, bugs, harassment, lack of privacy etc. Is this stuff real? Do they have nothing better to do to people that are harmless? Is it just paranoia?

I understand you may be hesitant to answer if you know something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,787,922 times
I assume you mean by the government....
citizens do this sort of crap to me and my coworkers all the time, clearance or not. (Well, not bugs and phone taps, but plenty of harassment, following around with cameras off work hours, etc)

Old 07-22-2014, 07:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,624,769 times
all the time.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,699,107 times
The government has more to do than harass land spy on people with security clearances. That's probably the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM

22,720 posts, read 47,943,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do you think about someone who has a security clearance who insists their phones are tapped and they are constantly being harassed for no reason? .
I would think they need professional help....

Old 07-23-2014, 12:57 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,245,860 times
My phones and computer at work are monitored, but that's part of the gig with any federal job/contract.

I have been told by a security manager that I will be monitored intermittently for many years after employment, but I doubt I would know the monitoring occurred, as that would defeat the point of intermittent monitoring.

You friend is either a kook or a suspect IMO.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,543,401 times
I work contract IT database security for financial institutions. Trust me on this. You would be surprised at how much we can observe while you are "working", down to recorded screen, keyboard, mouse inputs that are put into a forensic database if an issue is suspected. Plus, some of the systems automatically detect suspicious behavior and record that info and then send us, alerts about what you are doing. Never, ever, do anything on your work computer that you don't want anyone to know about, no matter how benign you think it is.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM

12,115 posts, read 23,389,539 times
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some passive website or phone line monitoring, but your friend is being paranoid. There are over 4 million people with security clearances; no one has time to follow them around.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM

182 posts, read 478,558 times
lol, I learned first hand at how paranoid some federal employees can be. While I was a federal government contractor, one of my duties was to assign out IT equipment. Well the acting director of my division decided that every federal employee and government contractor in the group should have webcams. The webcam used in conjuction with Microsoft Office Communicator would allow employees to have a video conference with any other agency employee across the country. It was a pretty cool set up (prior to that, if you wanted to do a video conference, you had to book a conference room).

So I go to pass the webcams out, you have no idea how many employees either outright rejected the webcam or accepted the webcam and didn't set it up. They were so concerned about "being watched". I was asked numerous times if the video from the webcam was stored on some hidden server, lol. Even with the people that did have the webcam set up, many of them either keep it unplugged unless they were using it or always had the lens pointed away from them.

It seemed to be a generational thing though. Most of the "government conspiracy theorists" and "somebody's watching me" people were in their late 40s and older. Pretty much all of the younger people were thrilled to have the webcams.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,484,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
What do you think about someone who has a security clearance who insists their phones are tapped and they are constantly being harassed for no reason? Have you known someone or experienced this? Eavesdropping, bugs, harassment, lack of privacy etc. Is this stuff real? Do they have nothing better to do to people that are harmless? Is it just paranoia?

I understand you may be hesitant to answer if you know something.
They probably have paranoid schizophrenia. I have a security clearance and nobody cares about what I am doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment