Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,962,435 times

Advertisements

Where I work three individuals went to HR with legitimate complaints about a manager. All three were fired within six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,763,655 times
Are you allowed to go to the bathroom when you need to? If you can only go during breaks, I would get my doctor to write an note saying I must be allowed to relieve myself at least every 3 hours. But if you still can run to the bathroom during your long afternoon, I agree you must just deal with this. Keep a couple of quiet snacks in hand; maybe a coolpak with some protein drinks & a straw to sustain you...

Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,985,733 times
I forgot to say, what WILL happen now if you all protest these shifts is they will HIRE a bunch of TEMPS/PART TIMERS to work the lunch period.

Then you can have whatever hours and shifts you WANT if there's an opening.

And you can also have a nice short work week of all part time no benefit shifts maybe a couple days a week or 4 hours a day or something.

Nose spite face.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,516,737 times
For the billionth time HR are not the champions of workplace justice. They are there to prevent the company from being sued and to make personnel problems disappear most often by getting rid of said problem worker. If you go the HR you will become a problem that will be solved by getting rid of you.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Are you allowed to go to the bathroom when you need to? If you can only go during breaks, I would get my doctor to write an note saying I must be allowed to relieve myself at least every 3 hours. But if you still can run to the bathroom during your long afternoon, I agree you must just deal with this. Keep a couple of quiet snacks in hand; maybe a coolpak with some protein drinks & a straw to sustain you...
NO you go to the bathroom on your break.

If you need medical accommodations you apply for and potentially get FMLA. Not a doctors' note. A doctor's note is meaningless. Otherwise we'd have every person on the job making up BS to get their own little accomodations [so they can go in the lounge and talk on the phone or check Facebook]

No doctor is going to write that note and anyway, WHY? It's not even true or the claim they're making.

Part of the HIRING PROCESS is you MUST ANSWER if you are CAPABLE of sitting that long without leaving your desk.

The hiring process is long and very detailed about the job functions.

They know it.

That's not to say we don't close our light to run to the bathroom occasionally, but that's not the OP's claim they just don't like the schedule they drew.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
For the billionth time HR are not the champions of workplace justice. They are there to prevent the company from being sued and to make personnel problems disappear most often by getting rid of said problem worker. If you go the HR you will become a problem that will be solved by getting rid of you.
Exactly.

When I worked overnight cashier in a large grocery chain, the manager didn't feel like relieving me for the COMPANY POLICY MEAL PERIOD, like he was supposed to do.

He clocked me out 30 min every night but I couldn't take the break.

When I was ready to, after three months of confronting HIM, I said "Last chance, you KNOW you can't work me off the clock it's illegal. If I get shot your company will lose MILLIONS instead of Workmans Comp so I suggest you give me my back pay and stop doing it or I'm going to the NLRB".

He said "OK give me a list of what I owe you".

I gave him a spreadsheet and he paid me the 700.00 that week in my paycheck.

Along with my new schedule wherein he cut my hours from 40 to 4.

EXACTLY what HR predicted he'd do.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,747,123 times
Quote:

Exactly. The OP on another thread mentioned she is 50. By that age you should know HR is not your friend.

OP also told the person who complained about short bathroom breaks to basically deal with it, so why should she expect empathy over an early lunch break?

Eat a light breakfast at home so you're hungry by your early lunch, eat well, and have a snack at your afternoon break...problem solved.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:55 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,998,337 times
If you don't own the toilet then you are the toilet. Then it's just a case how long your willing to take the ____. Start looking for a new job. It won't get any better.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,037,756 times
Quote:
Exactly. No one would trust a used car salesman. No one would leave their kids to be watched by someone on a sex predator watch. Think of H/R using that same level of "trust-worthiness".

Old 07-27-2014, 05:09 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,913,647 times
There is no federal requirement for any breaks. Approximately half the states do have standards. Where is the work location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment