Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times

Advertisements

So in all my jobs I have been very successful, and every time I put in my notice I was begged to stay (well in the last two places). So with confidence I can say that I am a very good employee that gets along with others. Six months ago I decided to take a plunge and join a start up, being employee #2. The Founder is the other employee. It was an area of work that I am extremely passionate about, and I took a $30k pay CUT to come work here.

Things took off great in the beginning but in last couple of weeks there have been some MAJOR problems and it has me frustrated. The deal is that we never worked all day together. Before two weeks ago we each worked from home. Two weeks ago we move into a new/first office and now being together all day we are starting to bump heads, big time. My boss is rather difficult. Impulsive, easily gets angry, loves to scold me, and brings no focus.

For example, he scolded me because when I put my knee on the couch and it left, you know, the knee imprint that any leather couch would have, he scolded me because of that. He scolded me because I prefer to take my notes in paper rather than on the computer. While en route to a meeting, I dropped my phone and it was run over by a car and ruined. Mind you this is my phone, that I pay every month and that I bought. He went on to scold me about that as well. That is just the beginning, but on a daily basis I am constantly being scolded for the dumbest things. He even scolds me for things he does himself!

In regards to focus, I have it nowhere. Every duty he gives me he changes his mind on. So he will hand me a duty and say, "We need to add this type of design to the page", the next day he will say, "No, I don't want it anymore" then a week later he tells, me "Oh I want that back on there" then two days later he will say "Why is that on there?!" It happens ALL the time for almost everything I work on! On a daily basis. He then proceeds to tell me that I have problems focusing. He asked me if I had focus issues in the past with other jobs, and then I told him "No" which made me realize that you know what maybe I don't have a problem.

He also has been giving me a hard time about mistakes that I have made. I actually have gotten us about four clients, and have gotten us some big brands to work with our company. Needless to say, I have been bringing a lot of success to the company, a lot of recogintion and even got us a really solid client (eh, Apple). So in an email that I sent out that wasn't even to a client but somone we work with like a vendor, there were some typos, and of course he scolded me for it. I understand I made the mistake. But this is what got me, when I made that mistake he essentially told me that everything I had done (getting clients, my passion, hard work) has been negated due to the typos I made. So typos to a non-client = getting Apple as a client? You can imagine how I felt.

Lastly, he he takes things too far. We were not happy with the way a photographer did some work for an event we had. He literally in the meeting said that he "He wanted them to fix every single photo and that he hoped they would suffer doing it and he would enjoy it." That's one of many things.

The thing is when he is not acting like the above, he is real nice and cool. It's like Jekyll and Hyde.

I am thinking of having a chat with him tomorrow, because I am getting really pissed, drained, and just can't deal. I am thinking of giving this a shot until December. I work 60+ hours a week, took a $30k pay cut to get here, and I just don't think I need to deal with this crap. I actually feel worse about myself, like I am doing something wrong or I am a badly behaved child.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Some people just can't play well with others. Your boss sounds like one of those. Especially if he's frustrated due to the startup not taking off as fast as he'd expected. I'd start looking around for something else, it may not get better there.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some people just can't play well with others. Your boss sounds like one of those. Especially if he's frustrated due to the startup not taking off as fast as he'd expected. I'd start looking around for something else, it may not get better there.
Thanks. That is my concern. It seems like it's really engrained in who he is, so I feel as if he won't change even if I have an open discussion. I will at least give it a try and see if there is any improvement. I mean he is really cool and nice and enjoyable when he acts sane, but he just as a side to him that is too much.

I almost feel like it's dealing with spoiled brat. When he doesn't get his way or it's to his expectations, he throws a tantrum.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
In my experience, the entrepreneurial types are VERY unpredictable and hard to work with.

I would start looking now, surreptitiously, and say bye bye when you have another job offer.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
It doesn't matter how nice and cool someone is, if they have moments like the ones you've described. Nobody should have to put up with that. It isn't motivating, won't make you more creative, isn't going to increase your productivity.

It wouldn't be okay if you got a $30K increase, but you took this job at a $30K cut and are being mistreated.

I agree, he sounds like a spoiled brat whose only form of communication is by having a tantrum. He's not going to change.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Sounds like torture to me. Start looking!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Yup, start looking.

These things usually don't work out well in terms of trying to get everyone on the same page.

It might work out for a brief period of time, but many people never truly change their ways, their attitudes and actions.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:02 AM

yeah, I am not sure about this. When I take into consideration that I work 60+ hours a week, have no benefits, and took a huge pay cut to be treated like this, it really disheartens you.

I am talking to him today, because I feel he at least deserves a chance, and while the last two weeks have not been pleasant he has been very very kind to me before. While the spoiled brat tantrums I don't think are going away, his attitude might be due to stress the last couple of weeks (he has had a lot going on), but I will talk and see how it goes.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:09 AM

223 posts, read 300,406 times
Sounds like your boss has a lot of anxiety about his start up. It also sounds like he is taking it all out on you. He sounds like a control freak. It is nice to stay on a job at least a year. However, if it is starting to affect your health, I would consider beginning to look around. Yes, you could have a talk with your boss, but I don't think it will do any good. He might try for awhile, but I think he would quickly revert back to his natural personality.

You might start by asking around to see if your old job needs anyone new. Maybe whoever replaced you is not working out. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post

I am thinking of having a chat with him tomorrow ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I am talking to him today, because I feel he at least deserves a chance, and while the last two weeks have not been pleasant he has been very very kind to me before. While the spoiled brat tantrums I don't think are going away, his attitude might be due to stress the last couple of weeks (he has had a lot going on), but I will talk and see how it goes.
Excellent idea. Just present it all quietly and without rancor and see if you can reach an equable solution. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment