Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

#3 is right on the money. With the competition for jobs and the economy in general, I feel many employees like myself feel a 'pressure' to not take too much time off due to work schedule.

I'm sure some of you may poo-poo this notion and this article in general, that's fine, perhaps you work for yourself and all, but it's the reality for a lot of workers.

3 ways American workers get screwed without even realizing it - Salon.com
Quote:
3. What vacation time?

As Bryce Covert points out at Think Progress, no worker in the United States is guaranteed paid time off and a full quarter of American workers have no vacation days at all. But a survey by Glassdoor found that those who do get paid time off usually use only half of it, while 15% don’t take any at all. Thanks to pressure from higher-ups, a lack of other employees who are qualified or available to cover for them, or simply the stress of having too much work, thousands of American workers are leaving one of their most important benefits untapped. Employees stressed by economic insecurity worry about being seen as replaceable or inconsistent by their bosses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 09:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Who says we don't realize it?

Old 09-07-2014, 10:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Sorry. Can't relate. I take every vacation day, every personal day, and most of my sick days. Every year.

I control my advancement.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Who says we don't realize it?
I guess a better way to put it is that, COLLECTIVELY, we as Americans haven't done anything about getting screwed...

Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I guess a better way to put it is that, COLLECTIVELY, we as Americans haven't done anything about getting screwed...
What do you propose that we do? Most of us are well aware of these three facts, yet we continue to allow ourselves to be screwed. Most of us have no other choice. We have obligations.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:28 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
What do you propose that we do? Most of us are well aware of these three facts, yet we continue to allow ourselves to be screwed. Most of us have no other choice. We have obligations.

To be frank, even if large tax breaks artificially create it, America needs about 3-5 years of the late 1990s economy back, as in 4% or lower Unemployment, 8% or lower U6, a horrific available employee-open position ratio for employers (under 1.5 to 1), in order to correct the balance of power. It does not need to last forever, but the "fear" of facing such an evironment again is a self-correcting device, just as the inverse is, and Americans faced, post 2008, with a 5-1 available labor ratio.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
It's not a question of what I propose we do about it, but rather how do we convince enough Americans to do something about their getting screwed over. I'm only one person in a country of over 300 million people...

First and foremost, you have many folks who aren't aware that they're actually getting screwed (see the blocks of voters in impoverished/rural areas, in the Deep South, that support a party every election which only looks out for the best interest of big/for-profit businesses).

Then once you've convinced enough of these people that they're actually getting screwed, there's the task of convincing them to go along with the right solution that will put an end to their getting screwed.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,895 times
Getting screwed compared to what? A few wealthy Western European countries, where folks pay 50-70% of their income in taxes. Remember the 75% tax in France for anyone who earns more than $1,000,000.

You pay for everything one way or the other. In Europe they may have more time off but their economies are slower to recover and they retain less income due to high taxation.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:57 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm thinking you're right.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,632 times
Quote:
What do you propose that we do?
How about just do something... anything! Sitting around complaining probably won't get you anywhere. You could start a website where people could get started. First you should probably define your objective. Then you could look for people who have already accomplished what you want to accomplish. If you find anyone just do what they did. If you can't find anyone then you'll be leading the way to a new world. It's sounds very exciting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment