Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I can't speak for those particular companies, but I do know that my husband is consistently being recruited. He's a software engineer. Yes, there are a lot of companies that use low-wage contractors, but there are also companies that want the best talent out there and that are willing to pay for it. Different companies have different goals in their recruiting practices, I guess.

Hmm, well lucky him.

I've had 9 calls in 72 hours myself.

For the same job.

A 6-month contract where the job req requires a master's degree (which I don't have) and the rate is a measly $45/hr and requires so much cross-knowledge that you'd have to be a DBA, database developer, network administrator, and .NET developer to fill most of the requirements. Oh, and "excellent project management skills" to boot.

35 miles away from me.

All from Indians.

"Recruiting."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
How do you know this? Just because you see thousands of job listings, doesn't mean there are thousands of jobs that are realistically being offered up. Those companies are hiring -- no doubt about that -- but the idea that they're hiring full-time employees in droves is not accurate. How can a sector be an "employees' market" when there are literally hundreds of applicants for every available position and lots of people are settling for low-wage contract work?
Just check glassdoor or read articles about how many full time employees work at these places and see how the numbers go up every few months. They welcome around 200-400 new full time employees every single week.

Of course they probably interview in person 5-10 for every person who gets an offer and probably phone screen 5-10 for every person who gets an interview and review 10 resumes for every person who gets an offer so you're talking 1000 resumes for every person who actually gets an offer (most accept). Yes, they are selective but if you're one of those who work there, the world is your oyster, not the other way around.

RVD.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Become one....you'll find out!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:29 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Fact of the matter is, there are only so many "good jobs" to go around. The folks who are not qualified are stuck bidding for low hanging fruit. Hopefully, after bouncing around from one low paying job to another, these folks can gain enough experience to advance. There is just no telling, and no predicting.

Why is poor retention rate for low paying positions a concern though?? Haven't we been encouraging pretty much everyone to go to college, so they could have one of those elusive "good jobs"? Why do we want Americans to be satisfied with poverty level jobs?

For what it's worth, I think pay clearly is an issue though, based on the high retention rate found at places list Costco. If poor retention rates were an issue, companies would simply offer a wage that encourages long term commitment. Until then, they are forced to work within the budgets that they have set for themselves.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
if there are long lines of unemployed educated people outside my door begging to get in-- why do i have to have a strong retention program?
btw the business community wants to thank you for your hatred of unions, that, and the right to off shore-- has made many in america very very wealthy.
you are swamped with immigration and over educated job applicants. you are exactly where france was 35 years ago. now in france, its much much worse.
nicolas sarkozy preached this in may 2012, in the state of france message, "you need to pursue the trades as does germany, and stop going to college for general ed degrees", they dumped him like an unwanted dog at the pound.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-10-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I believe these can be reasons to retain good employees

1. Opportunity to apply for other positions at the organization

2. Raises every year

3. Appreciation Lunches for the staff

Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
btw the business community wants to thank you for your hatred of unions, that, and the right to off shore-- has made many in america very very wealthy.
you are swamped with immigration and over educated job applicants. you are exactly where france was 35 years ago. now in france, its much much worse.
nicolas sarkozy preached this in may 2012, in the state of france message, "you need to pursue the trades as does germany, and stop going to college for general ed degrees", they dumped him like an unwanted dog at the pound.
Hehe. Now that I think of it, I don't see "Made in France" too often..

Old 09-10-2014, 06:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Why I wouldn't look for another job while here:

#1: Management/Work Environment. My supervisor is great. Management is okay. Co-workers are mostly good people to work with---helpful, nice, easy to get along with, etc. The environment is probably one of the best I've experienced. Most people work hard. Additionally, it's a VERY fast-paced environment---requires a lot of attention to detail, a lot of multi-tasking, etc. I love that. My last job was sooo slow/boring/mind-killing. Lastly, when we have meetings, management is open to suggestions.

#2: Opportunities. I'm working for a huge organization that promotes within and offers tuition-reimbursement, leadership programs, etc. They make it easy to move around within the organization as well.

#3: Benefits. I'm in the union and the benefits are great.

Why I would look for another job:

#1: Commute. Awful. I miss being able to use public transportation.

#2: Pay. People think everyone in the union is making the big bucks but because of our benefits, we usually make less than others in the field. (I'm okay with that.) You also have no negotiating power in your pay.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why I wouldn't look for another job while here:

#1: Management/Work Environment. My supervisor is great. Management is okay. Co-workers are mostly good people to work with---helpful, nice, easy to get along with, etc. The environment is probably one of the best I've experienced. Most people work hard. Additionally, it's a VERY fast-paced environment---requires a lot of attention to detail, a lot of multi-tasking, etc. I love that. My last job was sooo slow/boring/mind-killing. Lastly, when we have meetings, management is open to suggestions.

#2: Opportunities. I'm working for a huge organization that promotes within and offers tuition-reimbursement, leadership programs, etc. They make it easy to move around within the organization as well.

#3: Benefits. I'm in the union and the benefits are great.

Why I would look for another job:

#1: Commute. Awful. I miss being able to use public transportation.

#2: Pay. People think everyone in the union is making the big bucks but because of our benefits, we usually make less than others in the field. (I'm okay with that.) You also have no negotiating power in your pay.

Agree 100%, when you like your coworkers, your pay, and the option to move around in the organization, you will stick around for a while.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
However, I do want to point out that the whole premise of capitalism is to pay employees less than they are worth. Nothing else makes sense.
Then pure capitalism doesn't support retaining the best (or any) employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment