Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I never worked for Wal-Mart.

But millions have, there are probably 10 ex-Wal-Mart associates out there for every active employee.

If Wal-Mart management really mistreated their workers as is alleged, the business would be in real trouble with such a significant portion of the shopping public (ex-Wal-Marters) so alienated. It isn't like there isn't any place else to shop.

Wal-Mart has been targeted by the unions for years, it would be a juicy conquest that could provide a million new dues payers. Further, being the largest and most powerful retailer out there, its a great target.

Wal-Mart staff is polite and helpful every time I've gone in there, I bet they are polite even when they decide to fire people.
I expect you're right. People come and go with Walmart all the time but I rarely ever hear any dissing from them and they DO all still shop there.

We aren't mistreated. Most of those stories you hear will be from disgruntled ex-employees but the vast majority are okay with their jobs. I can tell you we have a lot of funny stories to tell one another! When customers say I 'look bored' and they are there to brighten me up I say, "How can I be bored? This is Walmart!". lol

We honestly don't NEED a union. We have the same bennies we would have if we were unionized. I think Walmart did that deliberately so we wouldn't want a union. About the ONLY thing I think Walmart really could do better is raise the starting wage.

I hope I never have to find out how "polite" they can be when they fire someone! lol Although, I will say this...we have a few associates that HAVE been fired and hired back so Walmart can't be accused of never giving someone a second chance. Depending on what the cause was, of course. Theft? Don't even THINK about trying to come back. Jail time? What did you do and are you okay now? Too many days called off or no call no shows? You can come back but better be on your very best behavior for a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 10:59 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Well I work at Walmart, I didn't read this thread but can add a few things.

There are a lot of unhappy employees there, I seem to be one of the few (sane people) that has no problem with it. Polos and pants aren't expensive. Go anywhere at night thats open, go to Mcdonalds or a Gas station and they all have a dress code they need to follow. I work overnights and we got people wearing batman and chicago bulls hoodies, beanies, vikings hats, shirts in every color of the rainbow. The purpose of the dress code is so we look more professional. I don't see people at Mcdonalds or the gas station wearing a Chicago bulls hoodie in the middle of the night.

We've known about the dress code for months, it was suppose to happen in August but got pushed back to September. They told us the specifics of it just a week or two ago, so we have plenty of time by the end of September to get the right stuff. But yeah, when I work there, I always think "What are these people going to do if they ever leave Walmart and get a different job?" They didn't just tell us randomly one day "Effective tomorrow we have a new dress code"

I work nights, and one of the biggest complaint is no more jeans for the overnight stockers. Khakis will get quite filthy.
One other big complaint I see is that no more sweatshirts or anything, it has to be a cardigan. The store temperature is controlled out of the headquarters in Arkansas (Yes, I am serious. A LOT of things are controlled out of Arkansas and the individual stores can't do anything about it, you'd be surprised) and one side of our store is always way colder then the other. And in Minnesota, it's get cold extremely cold in the winter, and as a result the inside of the store is a lot colder, especially for say the door greeter.

And the 10% discount was not given to us for this new dress code, all employees get a discount card in the mail after they've been with the company for 6 months.
They'll probably have a hard time getting another job with the giant holes in their ears and the tattoos running down their arms.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I wouldn't say a lot of people at my store are upset at the dress code, I'd say they're more upset that they can't wear jeans anymore unless you're working in the back such as an unloader, and the no sweaters/hoodies except for cardigans. And I understand, when you're stocking and on your knees a lot and what not, khakis and black pants will get dirty and show it. Mine always do. Jeans are definitely more ideal.

I never wear jeans so it's not a problem for me. And I have always worn a navy blue polo. Heck the majority of shirts that I own are polos and basketball jerseys, lol

Gotta say I like the vests though, and now a way for customers to tell whether or not you work there, and also managers won't ask if were on the clock during our lunch or if were shopping after our shift.
Yeah but people doing that work should be wearing knee-pads anyway.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
They'll probably have a hard time getting another job with the giant holes in their ears and the tattoos running down their arms.
I love how this strawman is brought up all the time. A large number of cooks and chefs have tattoos. In some places they could only work prep and not on the line (if the line is in public.) If they are looking for a job with a more professional and conservative (not in the political sense) company, of course they will not get the job. However, more places are becoming tattoo and piercing friendly within obvious reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment