Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,011,030 times

Advertisements

If you're talking about the kind of job a drifter would take, something that doesn't require a degree or extensive work history, there are jobs like that in TX and you don't have to be a long-term resident or know someone to get a job.

My sister's boyfriend looked for a job for nearly a year in San Diego. He wasn't particular, applied at all the fast food restaurants, every job he could think of...he even tried to sell Kirby vacuums for a day or two, he was that desperate for a job. He finally found a part time job at a fast food place, and he only gets four hours a week most weeks. Our family can't understand this, it's hard to believe he's not just lazy. Because we're all used to Texas and here he would have found something full time within a month or two, at the very most. But I've heard from other people that they had the same experience in California.

I also don't know anyone who won't talk to people who've just moved here...maybe it's because there are so many military families in San Antonio so we're used to people coming and going, but we love to meet new people and hear about where they're from and what brought them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM

3,769 posts, read 5,907,164 times
I am third gen Texan and I think what has been said is truth. Austin used to be a really lovely place but now is overcrowded and traffic is horrible. Too many Yankees and " transplanted hippies". Also, I remember when Plano, Frisco, The Colony, Little Elm were just country towns. Not anymore. The place that has the jobs is the Permian Basin. It is just amazing what Pecos- Odessa- Midland look like now. Of course, we all know that area is known for boom and bust.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,850,027 times
Just moving to Texas, I get what the OP is saying. We moved from the East Coast for hubby's job. In the Dallas Forum for City Data there are daily threads started about wanting to relocate here and 'how fast can I get a job'. Within the thread a person talks about not being employed for X amount of time, heard that Dallas is booming and want to move her. They have no savings, no prospects and know no one.

That mentality blows me away. The cost of living in Texas is somewhat less expensive than the East, but not by much. The housing prices are crazy for a zero lot. I found it much easier to meet people out east because people actually went OUT of their houses! Here it is so hot, everyone is indoors. It is definitely different, not as diverse and surprisingly not as friendly.

That said, after a year we are finally putting down some roots and getting to know more people. With hubby traveling, and I work from home we have no social network whatsoever!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,022,434 times
I found Dallas extremely friendly. Way more so than the East coast, as well as the midwest.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,214,205 times
My friend moved out there and found a job almost immediately. From what she told me, it's a decent job. (she moved out there for other reasons besides getting a job)

Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,531,570 times
For awhile, San Antonio and Austin had significantly lower unemployment rates than Houston and Dallas. They're all at or close to full employment now. San Antonio does have companies recruiting out-of-state for IT jobs. I agree that people shouldn't move to a state without a job. A couple of years ago, the San Antonio Food Bank was overburdened with transplants who didn't have jobs lined up. Even if they are able to land a low-paying job, they might still have to seek assistance.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:50 AM

435 posts, read 638,275 times
I personally have found that Boston is the friendliest city I have ever been in.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:57 AM

435 posts, read 638,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Just moving to Texas, I get what the OP is saying. We moved from the East Coast for hubby's job. In the Dallas Forum for City Data there are daily threads started about wanting to relocate here and 'how fast can I get a job'. Within the thread a person talks about not being employed for X amount of time, heard that Dallas is booming and want to move her. They have no savings, no prospects and know no one.
Yes, this is the kind of person that my husband and I no longer want to help out. We've let a few people stay in our house until they could find a job. It usually took them six months to a year. Then after working for a year, they wanted to move back to where they came from. And wanted help moving. And wanted their "friends" (that they've known for only a year or two) to throw them a going-away party. It seems they have poor decision-making abilities and an exploitive mentality.

So from now on we just say NO. I can't help anyone move, I've got a bad back. If they want a going-away party, they should throw their own; invite some people to a bar after work for one last get-together.

These particular people I know would have found a job in ANY big city eventually. Their problem was living in very rural areas where there were no jobs.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:50 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,316,550 times
Its just not Texas. Don't move anywhere until you are stable and have a job. Stay where you are and keeping looking online (if possible)

Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM

61 posts, read 74,983 times
it seems that a majority of the people that grew up in Texas, dallas or HOuston try to shun out the outsider tryna make somthing new in texas. the allure, atleast for me and my family, is the cheaper housing coming from california. for what i can get in texas, i would have to pay 400-450k and thats starting in a somewhat decent neighborhood with less than ok schools. im thinkin of relocating with no job but i get SSI of $2500 a month and have a family of 5. i could survive, barely, here in california so i know i could survive in texas while looking for employment. it jus seems like texans turn their backs on folks that are not from there. its not always possible to look for work and get hired before moving, depending what kind of work you want to do. but if you have a nest egg and can live off that for a few months, get some crap job to have a little more income all while lookin for THAT job, then so be it. everyone situation is diff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment