Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,456,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Years ago when I applied at Walmart I had 3 interviews, drug test, store walk, etc. All for minimum wage with no benefits. But it's still very true that if you stay and work your way up you can make a decent buck.
That's true of any job, the issue is how poorly you pay the bottom half of your pyramid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,295,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
"I believe" is a good one, shows some conviction without being over/under confident. Take out "pretty" - it's "I'm confident that I can be a consistently high performer".

And again, relax, you're more likely to muck it up stressing over being perfect than by just letting it roll.

Oh, one more thing, you don't want the Petco job. When you're the FNG, you're in charge of cleaning up the accidents.

^This is great advice! I totally agree with the bolded. OP, saying "I guess" can give the interviewer the impression that you are unsure of yourself. You'll be dealing with cash and people's credit cards--unsurity can lead to mistakes. Some people say, "It's just Target." No, it's a job working with the public and being responsible for your register at the end of the day. Take deep breaths--you got this

Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,427,007 times
Dress like you're a Target shopper, much more upscale than a Walmart shopper. and the things you can say are what you know about Target. You can "sell" it because you prefer it. I agree with keeping the excitement about the interview. Sounds like they want you! Try to sit still and give them concise answers. Smile and let them know you appreciate the interview. AWESOME!

OH I was going to suggest going for a quick run/sprint/dogwalk. To burn off some of that energy.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,825,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Oh, one more thing, you don't want the Petco job. When you're the FNG, you're in charge of cleaning up the accidents.
Well the main reason I wanted Petco was I could walk there but I know I'll have to get over my fear of driving sometime and I have two dogs at home (one of which has crapped in the hallway a lot while I'm sleeping) so I know full well what cleaning is like. It must not be meant to be though, at least not right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Make them realize that they NEED you. Tell them about times where a manager gave you a task and you "rocked." Tell them about how much harder you work than the competition, not literally but through a story of a time when....

That's why those questions are in interviews in the first place. People always say "I don't know how to answer such and such interview question." Those questions aren't there to see if youre good at coming up with answers to questions, theyre there to spark a lively conversation on why youre the BEST person for the job.
I don't think I can give an example of those times but I do work extremely harder than most people I've seen so there's that.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 AM

687 posts, read 620,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Agreed, this is what weve come to in the US. I used to work at a grocery store and I was baffled by the paperwork and bureaucratic HR process to get in. You would have thought you were applying for a corporate gig with a pension. Half way through I just wanted to be like...uh.....you do realize Im just going to be taking stuff out of boxes and putting it on a shelf right?.......
For large corporations like that it's all about avoiding liability.

I was also surprised when I tried to apply for Starbucks and they wanted a background check (including traffic infractions) and a credit report just to submit an application. I couldn't go through with it -- it gave me the creeps.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 AM

968 posts, read 1,086,937 times
I've worked at Target in the past and I don't remember there being much to the interview, although it was about 12-13 years ago that I worked there. From what I recall I can say it was one of the easiest interviews I've had. When I applied I remember filling out a multiple choice assesment and I think they based hiring more on that questionaire than the interview.

I'd second the idea of walking to burn off some of that energy. If I'm really nervous that's one of the things that works best for me to try and calm down.

Either way though I wouldn't worry about it too much. Being a big box retailer the interview isn't likely to be a long or difficult one as far as interviews go.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM

522 posts, read 698,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I am shocked. So I just got a call from Target. Would have rather Petco called me but I've shopped at Target before so I thought why not apply since the ones I want aren't biting. I'm sure there are more qualified applicants than me so I'm scared I'm going to blow my only chance.
They want me to come in for a 2nd assessment and an interview. I googled it a little but I know you always get different information. Is it true that I should just say in the assessment what they want to hear?
I can't stop being nervous and the interview hasn't even started. I just don't know what I'm going to say in the interview considering I've never done sales before. Is it bad that I want to cry? I don't know why..I mean I did want to find a job or I wouldn't have applied but I overthink things for one I guess.
Part of me wonders if I shouldn't have applied but like I say no one else has been biting. It's not normal to be this nervous I would think. Ugh don't know what to do..
If you don't get the job will it ruin your life forever? No. Try not to worry about it too much, hon.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:48 PM

129 posts, read 238,093 times
Go to thebreakroom.org . Maybe you can get some interview tips there. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,353,855 times
if it's a job at a Target store, that's not a sales job. Unless you just meant retail? But you won't need selling skills so you don't need to worry about that if it's something you are nervous about. Most people I see working in Target are nice and try to be helpful, so try to come across as friendly and the type of person a shopper would feel comfortable coming over to ask a question. Emphasize that you are a hard worker - I know people who have worked there and they say it's a very hard, physical job and you are on your feet for pretty much your whole shift.

And good luck!!

Old 09-17-2014, 04:33 PM

2,077 posts, read 3,452,536 times
Get ready to buy red tops and khaki bottoms, any kind. My DS worked at Target at one point of time and he had to provide his own. Makes getting dressed easy. Not knowing what you're applying for he worked at stocking as well as checkout. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment