Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,493,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
It's funny... my career job that I currently work at is the only company I've ever had direct deposit and this is my 6th year working here. I cannot for the life of me remember how I got paid the first month I worked here... they could have handed us checks but I am not sure.

So I guess now I'm an idiot for not realizing that was the case.... LOL. Thanks everyone for showing I'm dumb!! Honestly though... my supervisor should have known that direct deposit works that way and explained it to me... instead he's playing stupid and being rude about it.

With that said.. I still wish they would have offered me to come pick it up at the office. It's local... the office is 2 minutes from where my job is (I work for cleaning company that cleans businesses). I could have picked it up today instead now I may have to wait until tomorrow or Monday depending on how long it takes for post office to get it out. We have $7 left in our spend account and I was banking on that extra money today... but.. I'll have to transfer from my other accounts and then just replace it back once the check arrives.

I certainly do not think you are dumb at all, I think you just did not think about the length of time it can take for direct deposit to hit the bank on the first check. Probably because you have had it so long with your other job.

Enjoy your weekend and I hope the check comes very soon for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,947,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I certainly do not think you are dumb at all, I think you just did not think about the length of time it can take for direct deposit to hit the bank on the first check. Probably because you have had it so long with your other job.

Enjoy your weekend and I hope the check comes very soon for you.

Thanks.. I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my weekend, LOL!

Actually though, they got back to me and said I was setup to get it today but something did get overlooked which was now fixed so starting my next check it should be good to go. I'm just glad that it wasn't something on my end.. like I got numbers mixed up in my account or something.

I just need to remember too that it's PT work... and I work for a local cleaning company and most everyone there are really unprofessional. Not in a bad way... but their management is a lot more "blue collar", so I should expect quirks to come up more-so than my full-time job!

Anyway... does anyone else deal with minor or even major frustrations with their PT jobs? We can certainly keep this discussion going!

Old 09-19-2014, 10:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,493,532 times
I haven't worked for anyone else for a long time now and never did work a part time job.
I tried to work a part time job once but within 4 days I was hired on full time and within 4 weeks I was a shift manager.
So much for taking it easy on that job...LOL
Honestly it was the best job I ever had, did not pay worth a dime but enough to pay the rent and it was a great job.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It's normal for an initial paycheck to either be held up or not direct deposited. Complaining about it is symptomatic of today's instant-gratification society.
People don't think about this much, but this is another argument in favor of always giving two weeks' notice before transitioning from one job to another. (I realize this scenario isn't in effect this time - "work with me :-)" ) The last paycheck from Job A serves as a cushion while the payment system for Job B gets into gear.
"If you think that's bad..." My employer two jobs ago decided at one point during my time with them that they would phase from a concurrent (work two weeks, get paid at the end of Week 2) to a retroactive (work four weeks, get paid for the first two at the end of Week 4) payroll system. They worked everything out so that the changeover would go smoothly, and it did. Down the line, when I left the company with due notice, is when problems arose. Like most people I mostly live check-to-check. I'd learned from my new employer when my first paycheck would be generated, had budgeted to cover my expenses, and wrote checks to cover the normal round of monthly bills. Within three days those checks started bouncing. The previous company had not direct-deposited what they owed me for my final weeks there. When I called them with steam pouring out of my ears they insisted that I was on the concurrent pay schedule. It was on ME to pore over years of records to prove that I'd been moved onto the retro system. Eventually (key word here) that company did make good on their obligation, with interest, and covered for the checks I'd written that had not cleared.
So it's not as if I don't know the feeling of having every expectation that compensation owed is going to be in my pocket in a timely manner. Things happen, with the odds increasing the more "corporate" the company is. I thought I'd recount my bad experience at the other end of an employment stint to help people realize that a payment glitch can happen at any stage in the life of a job. More often than not you have to keep a close eye on things at the start AND end.

Thanks for sharing GOGUY! They did finally give me the proper explanation as to what happened and now I'm fine, certainly not going to ruin my weekend! I'm guilty in the fact that I already had a "bad feeling" that something would happen and sure enough it did... so I kind of lost my cool!

You clearly went through a much worse situation so my complaint is zilch compared to that! It's fair to say we all have those minor "freak out" moments and I just had mine, LOL. All I know is that I look forward to a nice cold beer at the end of my day today!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I haven't worked for anyone else for a long time now and never did work a part time job.
I tried to work a part time job once but within 4 days I was hired on full time and within 4 weeks I was a shift manager.
So much for taking it easy on that job...LOL
Honestly it was the best job I ever had, did not pay worth a dime but enough to pay the rent and it was a great job.

Many of us hate the paycheck to paycheck routine but in the end if it pays the bills, keeps you fed, and we still have a roof under out heads then we are doing something right!

We just took on PT jobs because we want to better ourselves for the future, plus take care of our 18 month old daughter! We're still "young"... I'll be 31 at the end of this month and my wife is 26... do it now so we don't "pay" for it later. What's great is that my wife gets paid every Tuesday, both my current job and PT job are every other Friday but they are opposite Friday's so now a check will be rolling in every Friday for me. On top of that my wife is a "bud light girl" for a local beer company to promote bud light products at local bars and its $20 per hour gig cash money.

Once the money starts rolling in regularly from these PT gigs it'll be nice having that extra "cushion" at some point and even putting money away for loooooong term savings!!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:04 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,489,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It's normal for an initial paycheck to either be held up or not direct deposited. Complaining about it is symptomatic of today's instant-gratification society.
People don't think about this much, but this is another argument in favor of always giving two weeks' notice before transitioning from one job to another. (I realize this scenario isn't in effect this time - "work with me :-)" ) The last paycheck from Job A serves as a cushion while the payment system for Job B gets into gear.
"If you think that's bad..." My employer two jobs ago decided at one point during my time with them that they would phase from a concurrent (work two weeks, get paid at the end of Week 2) to a retroactive (work four weeks, get paid for the first two at the end of Week 4) payroll system. They worked everything out so that the changeover would go smoothly, and it did. Down the line, when I left the company with due notice, is when problems arose. Like most people I mostly live check-to-check. I'd learned from my new employer when my first paycheck would be generated, had budgeted to cover my expenses, and wrote checks to cover the normal round of monthly bills. Within three days those checks started bouncing. The previous company had not direct-deposited what they owed me for my final weeks there. When I called them with steam pouring out of my ears they insisted that I was on the concurrent pay schedule. It was on ME to pore over years of records to prove that I'd been moved onto the retro system. Eventually (key word here) that company did make good on their obligation, with interest, and covered for the checks I'd written that had not cleared.
So it's not as if I don't know the feeling of having every expectation that compensation owed is going to be in my pocket in a timely manner. Things happen, with the odds increasing the more "corporate" the company is. I thought I'd recount my bad experience at the other end of an employment stint to help people realize that a payment glitch can happen at any stage in the life of a job. More often than not you have to keep a close eye on things at the start AND end.

This is but one reason why everyone should have an emergency fund, at least one paycheck worth, preferably one month living expenses, put aside. Stuff happens!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 PM

15,175 posts, read 12,347,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1981 View Post
i just know that direct deposit usually takes 1-2 pay cycles before it goes into effect.
My experience has been that the first paycheck was paper, and the direct deposit was made starting with the second paycheck. But the first paper paycheck arrived on payday, I never had to ask where it was.

I'd be unhappy too, under the OP's described circumstances, when it didn't seem a paper paycheck was forthcoming after he saw there was no electronic deposit.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:51 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,148,995 times
I've never had direct deposit work for the first check. Usually takes a couple pay periods.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:05 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,428,758 times
I'm glad you calmed down. I was getting worried.
Having little money in your account is miserable. I can attest to that. (as can you) Things will get better. I admire you both for working part time jobs to make ends meet rather than sitting back and watching it all go down the tubes. One time I was working 3 jobs as a single mom. I didn't qualify for food stamps or assistance because I had a car - sort of necessary if you work 3 jobs. I guess I should have lied like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment