Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,528,776 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem that Employment positions such as Upper Management, Directors, Bosses etc seem to be bullies??
They are people who are bullies.
Not all, but a good number if them.

It always amazes me how they get these jobs, work their way up the ladder pursay.
Why aren't they haltex d by the good honest decent nice hard workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 03:52 PM

310 posts, read 686,693 times
Not everyone is fit for management. Managers need to be able to put their own emotions aside and do what needs to be done to generate profit, or more profit. The purpose of a manager isn't to be your friend, and good managers will never befriend their reports because that causes a conflict of interest.

The purpose of a manager is to ensure that you do what you contractually agreed to do, which is work. Not browse Facebook, not be on your personal phone texting, not watch cat videos on Youtube.

For many employees that type of "you must do what you said you'll do or else I must do what I said I will do" comes of as bullying.

Do you job, do it well, don't waste company time/resources, and in the overwhelming majority of cases you won't perceive your boss as an ass.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:53 PM

22,622 posts, read 47,758,002 times
Most are not bullies... but the nature of the job is often getting employees to do what needs to be done.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
I haven't experienced any bully managers in our office of 400+, just a few non-managerial people in Accounting and Finance. I should also add that few of the managers here worked their way up, I did, and a few others in our department but most were hired as managers from the outside.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:06 PM

416 posts, read 872,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Why does it seem that Employment positions such as Upper Management, Directors, Bosses etc seem to be bullies??

It always amazes me how they get these jobs, work their way up the ladder pursay.
As someone who has worked his way up from client-facing positions, to now SVP/Exec Manager of hundreds of associates and multiple managers that oversee them... I can say that people who make it in management are those who - while may be good, honest, and nice deep down - put that emotional BS aside to get the job done.

Management isn't always a fun thing to be in. You basically have to take the side of the corporation and have the appearance of being heartless - but it's part of the job.

The people you describe in your last sentence generally do not have the ability to 'make it happen.' Managers are there to get **** done - not be everyone's friend.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 PM

820 posts, read 1,210,319 times
They get perceived that way, because as other people mentioned, they have to get the job done which means being profitable. Many employees simply think their job magically exists, they do not know or care about what goes into keeping a company profitable, and remaining afloat.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 PM

894 posts, read 1,051,990 times
I remember working with a woman who was devastated when our co-worker got promoted into a management position. She had been there longer, was a great worker and felt she had been passed over. Despite my liking for her, I had to admit she really wasn't cut out to be a manager. She got stressed out easily, was a pushover and didn't go above and beyond to show she had leadership potential.

I agree that many people don't see the ugly side of management. They just see promotion, better money, more prestige etc.

However, I do agree with the OP that many people weasel their way into the position, which sucks.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:20 PM

506 posts, read 327,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

They really aren't bullies. It's just that they're the ones asking you to do all the work, so you start getting bad feelings about them.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,744,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I remember working with a woman who was devastated when our co-worker got promoted into a management position. She had been there longer, was a great worker and felt she had been passed over. Despite my liking for her, I had to admit she really wasn't cut out to be a manager. She got stressed out easily, was a pushover and didn't go above and beyond to show she had leadership potential.

I agree that many people don't see the ugly side of management. They just see promotion, better money, more prestige etc.

However, I do agree with the OP that many people weasel their way into the position, which sucks.
Most people assume that hard work and expertise of the job makes you the boss. It's actually the opposite. I worked with someone who worked hard and very good at the job and he expects a promotion into management. Eventually he got an assistant manager role because of his hard work but as soon as a re-org happened he got demoted back.

His demotion wasn't because of the re-org but because he just wasn't the type to be a manager. Once you are too good at your industry and nobody could replace you then you can't be a boss. Because bosses people that guide people and set expectation they are not allowed to become field workers.

When a manager is better than their subordinates at the job then they failed as a manager.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,528,776 times
Thanks for the replys , thoughts on what its like to be a manager.
Its a respectful position.

And I agree with some of what you are saying.
Yes, set aside emotional stuff, but not exactly.

Some of the best run companies are bosses, owners, who are present.
Who don't think and act lime they are a better human being , because of their position.

That is more what I meant by bullies.
Didn't explain it well in OP.
sorry.

Its the arrogance,, my way or the highway mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment