Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 AM

29 posts, read 106,025 times

Advertisements

So - in trying to compare income tax between Australia and the USA - and whilst admittedly there are far more variables at play with your tax system (such as State-based taxes, payroll tax, etc) - I get roughly the same amount of tax payable on an income of $100,000.

That is, in Australia, by and large an income (salary) of $100K will see an approximate income tax payable of $27,000 (however our system gets quite 'burdensome' much 'quicker' than yours...our top tax rate of nigh on 50% sets in at just $180K).

When I use one of the calculators a previous poster kindly supplied me with, I get about the same amount of income tax payable for a $100K income there in the US (notwithstanding the variables above).

It is curious to note that here in Australia it is the employer who is responsible for paying payroll tax, whereas in the USA it is the employee (the net effect of this is.....technically there is more tax paid on an income of $100K here in Australia - but the employee $27K....as noted above....whilst the employer also has to pay payroll tax...which varies between states, but would add a further $3000 or so).

At $200K, I get $63-65K tax payable here in Aus, and about $56K there in the USA.

I did not consider State taxes in this...because....they vary wildly!

By all accounts, we appear to be a high taxing nation, certainly more so than you are.

Gracias!

Foibles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:21 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,787,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foibles View Post
So - in trying to compare income tax between Australia and the USA - and whilst admittedly there are far more variables at play with your tax system (such as State-based taxes, payroll tax, etc) - I get roughly the same amount of tax payable on an income of $100,000.

That is, in Australia, by and large an income (salary) of $100K will see an approximate income tax payable of $27,000 (however our system gets quite 'burdensome' much 'quicker' than yours...our top tax rate of nigh on 50% sets in at just $180K).

When I use one of the calculators a previous poster kindly supplied me with, I get about the same amount of income tax payable for a $100K income there in the US (notwithstanding the variables above).

It is curious to note that here in Australia it is the employer who is responsible for paying payroll tax, whereas in the USA it is the employee (the net effect of this is.....technically there is more tax paid on an income of $100K here in Australia - but the employee $27K....as noted above....whilst the employer also has to pay payroll tax...which varies between states, but would add a further $3000 or so).

At $200K, I get $63-65K tax payable here in Aus, and about $56K there in the USA.

I did not consider State taxes in this...because....they vary wildly!

By all accounts, we appear to be a high taxing nation, certainly more so than you are.

Gracias!

Foibles
Relatively speaking, compared to most 1st World Nations, the taxes in the US are extremely low. And that's including payroll/state/local taxes.

Even when it comes to business taxes, they're choke full of so many loop holes that many of them don't even pay the relatively high corporate tax rates. Instead, the bigger reasons many businesses have been shifting so much of their operations overseas is to avoid the US' high labor costs and government regulations (not taxes)...

As far as who pays payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare Tax), the employer pays half of that tax and the employee pays the other half. Also, it is the employer's responsibility to withhold this money from your paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment