Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 AM

92 posts, read 116,851 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Seattle to rural Indiana for a job. This is something I have wanted for a long time, and now that I finally got the job offer I feel really nervous (and I am not sure why).

I have job stability here in Seattle but not much else. I am lonely and miserable here.

In Indiana, I have family, friends, a gf waiting for me (potential to be vey serious), and far more entertainment and social options. I am just worried about job stability, but I know that can be an issue anywhere.

I think part of my nervousness is that I have built up 7 years of seniority, vacation days, and pay raises here and I can do my job in my sleep right now. But I am giving that up going to something unknown.

Does anyone else get these jitters? Do they pass pretty quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 11:53 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,865,330 times
It'll pass very quickly, particularly since you are moving toward a support system - not away from one.

Throw yourself into the job and reconnecting with family. That's more important than seniority.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:21 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,847,185 times
Yep. Once you settle in & start working, the jitters & uncertainity will go away in a few days. Since you have family & friends around, you will settle in quickly. Its understandable about vacation time but the first year on a new job, you might not have much off time anyways because you are learning new things. If you are moving into a similar role, the transition will be smooth. A lot of my colleagues went the similar route of working by themselves in a bigger town for a few years & moving close to their family, friends after getting married. People close to you could be a BIG help when raising a family. All the best with your new life.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,700,538 times
Have a square donut and a cow brain sandwich on me, friend.

There's no place like home. Go. Jobs come and go, but family and a possible love interest... that's always there.

A change this big, there's always jitters... but as said, you have family friends and a support system.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,700,979 times
What is unknown? You're moving back to where you came from.

You will have family, friends, and a possible serious relationship.

The "unknown" was when you left that 7 yrs ago to move to Seattle.

You will be fine.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What is unknown? You're moving back to where you came from.

You will have family, friends, and a possible serious relationship.

The "unknown" was when you left that 7 yrs ago to move to Seattle.

You will be fine.

Very true. I have never had such a stable job as I have here (its virtually gaurenteed for the life of the company, which is vey stable aitself). Then again Florida was stable and booming 7 years ago before the crash, so anything could happen I suppose.

Great answers all around, thank you!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 PM

310 posts, read 687,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acm122 View Post
In Indiana, a gf waiting for me (potential to be vey serious)
A girlfriend? Oh vey!

Your jitters are from having no excuse to not commit to her. Previously you could use the distance as excuse "Hey honey, I am all the way in Seattle, this isn't going to work!"

Now you have to tell her face to face that it's just not going to work, and that it's been her and not the distance all along.

The good news is that this is easily sorted out. Just have the talk and get it over with. You'll love it in Indiana away from all the West Coast hipsters with their fancy coffees and Mac computers.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 PM

No, the jitters have nothing to do with committment. I like her a lot! But even if she wasn't in the picture-
Seattle women aren't my cup of tea any more than I am theirs.

The jitters come from having job security and 7 years of seniority (and all the perks that go with it), and starting over as the "new guy".

But as the old saying goes - No matter how far you have gone on the wrong path, it's always better to turn back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment