Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
hm, I don't understand, doesn't car insurance normally cover this? Even liability only still covers the cost of a car rental for a bit to let you look for another car...

I mean if the car blew up, it'd be a total loss or at least something insurance can help with?
There's a reason you have car insurance, use it and stop being afraid your premiums will go up, you'll lose out on more money not using it in this case

I thought insurance companies paid only in cases of accidents. I have never known an insurance company to pay for normal wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Wait...you got a job making triple but you can't afford to repair your car?

Get the car into a shop. Get a loaner to use in the meantime to get to/from work. Or trade in the car and get a new used one with low car payments.

Don't panic and announce you'll have to quit your job. You have options.

Man, the people on this board are really out of touch.

The OP JUST started working, so it's possible that she may not have even received her first check.

Also, when you are low income and start to receive "good" money, it can take a while to catch up.

Reading between the lines, I suspect her credit isn't the best, so financing may not be an option. She will get next to nothing if she trades the car in (it's not working, remember?) and if her credit is poor, the car payments won't be low.

OP,

I would have the relative with the car take me to the closest motel/hotel to my job. I would stay there until I could save up enough money to get another car or have that one repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
hm, I don't understand, doesn't car insurance normally cover this? Even liability only still covers the cost of a car rental for a bit to let you look for another car...

I mean if the car blew up, it'd be a total loss or at least something insurance can help with?
There's a reason you have car insurance, use it and stop being afraid your premiums will go up, you'll lose out on more money not using it in this case
Insurance covers collisions, not engine wear and tear. Its not like health insurance.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
In addition to the above posts, car rental through auto insurance is only covered in the event of an accident.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:

Saying the car "blew up" is an idiomatic expression used by native English speakers to mean the engine completely failed. It doesn't mean a bomb exploded inside the car. Anyway I don't think insurance covers bombs either.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,676 times
The saying goes, "it costs money to make money." Well this is a perfect example. When I interned at the bank they didn't pay us for 1 month, and coming from a lower income family it really sucked.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
This is rediculous. If the car has reached end of useful life in that the repair bills are more than half the blue book value you should purchase a new or used car. Find a promising listing on craigslist, Ebay, whereever and take it to a mechanic for a full inspection then make the purchase. Otherwise rent a room closer to work and bike/walk there. There are always other options and living 70 miles away from work was asking for trouble. You should have moved closer if the job was worth it which aparently it is.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,645 times
Banks can offer personal loans with rather high interest rates (maybe 16-19% or so), and they get approved quickly. Just use that money to fix your car, and pay off the loan as soon as you can.

Don't lose that job.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Banks can offer personal loans with rather high interest rates (maybe 16-19% or so), and they get approved quickly. Just use that money to fix your car, and pay off the loan as soon as you can.

Don't lose that job.

He might be able to get a credit card with a promotion where he has six months to pay it off without any interest attached, but I don't hear the op saying he's going to look into any of the options so many of us have already provided.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Uber? Relayrides? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you should have some alternative transportation options even if the public transportation sucks.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 AM

334 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Guess I don't, but then again I'm used to hiring high-performers. Oh, correction: definitely frustrating. Frustrating to hire someone who can't get to the job site, that is, assuming that's where this is going.

"Cannot afford to get it fixed" is the wrong answer. If OP's tripled the salary, time to get a good runner for 140 mile/day R/T expenses. Probably means taking out a note for a Prius or whatever else gets great mileage and won't break down all the time. Buying "cheap runner" cars is what high school and college kids working at the liquor store part-time do (I was one such kid, nursing a POS car...a series of them, actually). Not adults in the working world.

I went through this with a woman I hired as a business analyst, seven years ago. I was paying her $55K, on salary with good benefits, and she could barely get to the job site due to driving some jalopy that blew up about every third Thursday. I actually had a sit-down conversation, with subsequent letter in her file, some months in when it became a problem. This was a person with a Ph.D. in some abstruse subject, who was theoretically smarter than me and two of my friends duct taped together. In terms of "street smarts," however...

Yes, living life is G D expensive anymore. If you're in the working world. Always some (fill in favorite expletive) out there with their hand out. Agreed. "But..."

"Living life in peace" means a hippie commune on the Big Island (HI), moving to Panama, etc. Not much of that left anymore as a viable option to get by. OP's chosen to work; time to take the good with the bad.

Oh ugh what a reply to someone upset and seeking help. UGH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment