Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:51 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into a personal banker position with Wells Fargo. Does this position have a high turnover rate? Do they just fire employees if they don't meet challenging quotas?

I don't have any experience in this field, what is it like being a personal banker in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 07:49 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I can tell you what's it's like being a former customer of Wells.

The "Personal Bankers" there are famous for doing the "bait and switch" to their customers. I had an account open since 1991 and closed it in 2009, due to horrific "service" (sarcasm intended) from this "banking company" (more sarcasm).
They don't care about customer service and just want to screw every customer out of every $ possible.

Wells sucks and this company should be out of business. Just awful.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/wells_fargo.html

Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Wells Fargo is not a very good company to work for. I suggest you find a local credit union to start out if you want to go into this field. Find a company that is not extremely demanding and a b***h to work for...and Wells Fargo is demanding and a B***h. Nothing worst than working for a crappy company with crappy pay and yet they demand so much for so little pay.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
My niece suggested a personal banker position (not Wells Fargo) to my son. What exactly does a personal banker do? The description in the job posting sounded pretty much like a teller. I'm just not clear on what it actually is. If he has to try to sell stuff to people, he'll hate it.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:51 PM

Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's just a step up from teller, and in most cases tellers are promoted to personal bankers. My wife worked in retail banking for many years, until we moved up here. Unless you get to the corporate offices, it's a miserable place to work. Low pay, mediocre benefits, and having to wear costly clothing to work. Even as assistant operations officer the pay is not on par with the responsibility.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Working in the Financial industry (albeit in IT), I've also heard the role as Senior Teller, Lead Teller, Financial Service Staff, Financial Service Consultant, Relationship Manager, etc. And like Hemlock mentioned, it's just a level up from a teller. You're essentially doing the same thing (front-line, customer facing retail service at the branch). You're just more experienced and may be providing mentoring/leadership for newbies.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Personal Banker for the most part means you open new accounts. So, if someone comes in to the bank to open a checking account, you make sure they are in the right kind of account. Then, you have to try to sell them other products; credit card, savings account, retirement services, etc.

I would look at this position as a jumping off point to other jobs with the Bank. I know former PBs that are now Branch Managers, District Managers, Underwriters, etc.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Well then, it sounds like it may not be a good fit for my son. He wouldn't like having to try to push things on people. Just a plain old teller position might be a better starting point for him to see if he likes banking, then try to move up to something else if he does. He's very smart, but he doesn't particularly like working with the public. People coming into banks, though, tend not to be as "testy" as other places, like department stores.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm looking into a personal banker position with Wells Fargo. Does this position have a high turnover rate? Do they just fire employees if they don't meet challenging quotas?

I don't have any experience in this field, what is it like being a personal banker in general?
I worked at Wachovia when WF bought it out. Wells Fargo is super strict on sales, making unrealistic goals, then firing employees when they don't reach them. I ran far away from them. I'd get hired onto a credit union if possible instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment