Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...
I think you're overreacting.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:22 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,532 times
Not racism. Ignorance, maybe. Or maybe, as someone pointed out, she speaks another language and wanted to find out if you do too. I speak a few, and sometimes when I recognize someone's name is from one of the countries where I speak the language, I ask them if their name is X and if they speak X. It's not racism - it's conversation. Makes me wonder what it is about you that would make someone think English isn't your first language - an accent, maybe? Like, are you from an English speaking country that isn't the USA? Do you have an extremely foreign and difficult last name coupled with an obvious ethnic background? My husband does and gets asked this question all the time, and we don't find it offensive. I even get asked where I'm from sometimes, when people realize I know other languages, even though my English is perfect.

You need to relax and stop screaming racism. It's more unfair to other people than what they are saying to you.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
It's certainly ignorance. Just feel sorry for the lady, they don't know any better. Racist? I wouldn't automatically label someone as that by the comment alone. Sort of reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWynJkN5HbQ

Old 01-14-2015, 05:39 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
Quote:
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.

You will not go far in this job being so victim minded and sensitive. Lighten up.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:41 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,850 times
The real question whether or not she is racist, is if she handed you a tissue to wipe your tears after the conversation was over.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
The real question whether or not she is racist, is if she handed you a tissue to wipe your tears after the conversation was over.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:10 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
okaaay...

They are not interchangeable.

You can continue to look for offense, or you can educate her AND yourself along the way. Choosing the latter makes YOU look better too.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,893 times
Quote:
White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.
Lol, most white people don't get...

Asking you where you were from isn't racist. However, when she kept pestering and said, "Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language" is the racist part. To the folks who still don't get it, it's called indirect racism. Most indirect racists, don't even know they're doing it. She brought it out even further with the, "I just thought... well, with your background..."

Your coworker wouldn't have said points a&b if you looked like Hilary Duff, hence why her comments were racist.
(a) "Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language"
(b) "I just thought... well, with your background..."

Is It Racist to Ask People Where They're From? - The Atlantic

ETA: Take what she said with a grain of salt. It seems as if she didn't even know how ignorant she was.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:13 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Whats your ethnicity? Obviously you don't look Caucasian or Black.....I work in a fortune 500 and there are a TON of international employees here. All of whom are proud of their heritage and love to talk about it.....sounds like youre just the typical Californian "Quick to label someone."

Old 01-14-2015, 06:18 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,507 times
Ignorance, certainly. It could be a form of unconscious racism but really, that wouldn't matter at that point.

The lady is ignorant if she really believes only a certain type of people are Americans.

You are also ignorant if you think speaking many languages is the sign that you're not American. I mean, do you feel proud that the average American is so bad in foreign languages that you're only entitled to speak one language?!?

A lot of people in the world speak several languages. Don't consider the question as racist, and when she asks you what your first language is, just go straight to the point: "I'm American, so my first language would be English". And you'll see what she says. If it's like in the videos where she would ask, where are you "really" from, then maybe?

But you know, even that is not enough. I have a complex identity myself, being French with Korean origins, having lived 15 years of my childhood in Central and West Africa. I studied in Germany and am now working in an American company in the US. When I go to meetings, I explain I worked in Europe, and that I am French, and I just know I have to do it because even I would not be able to guess my story if I met myself in a mirror. That's maybe unfortunate, but that's reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment