Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:10 PM

44 posts, read 90,497 times

Advertisements

So I was in the final rounds of interviewing for a position (which I am almost sure was mine), only to be called an hour before my last-round interview by the company owner, who told me they accidentally discovered the night before that they told me the wrong salary for the role - that the position was actually paying $12K less than what I had been told.

What would you have said or done, hearing this news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,592,305 times
It all depends if you are interested in the position at 12k less than you thought. If not, I would have stated that if they cannot match the original offer I'd have to withdraw from competition.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,785,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
So I was in the final rounds of interviewing for a position (which I am almost sure was mine), only to be called an hour before my last-round interview by the company owner, who told me they accidentally discovered the night before that they told me the wrong salary for the role - that the position was actually paying $12K less than what I had been told.

What would you have said or done, hearing this news?
If I was considering leaving a job, I would say that I was only interested in the position at the offered salary and try to get them back up.

If I had no job... I probably wouldn't be in a strong position to argue and would have to take it.

It probably also matters how that $12k compares to the overal salary. If you were talking $20k vs $32k, that's a pretty big difference. $150k vs $162k... not as big of a deal comparatively.

Last edited by Jeo123; 01-23-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,731,631 times
You can rely on the claim that it was a mistake. No company wants to incur all the costs of getting a candidate to just before acceptance (and there is generally a large cost incurred by the company) only to have the deal fall through because of a change in the estimated salary.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:22 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,621,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You can rely on the claim that it was a mistake. No company wants to incur all the costs of getting a candidate to just before acceptance (and there is generally a large cost incurred by the company) only to have the deal fall through because of a change in the estimated salary.
I wouldn't believe that claim for a second. No company wants to pay $12,000 more in salary than they have to and making promises you can't or won't keep is one thing they try to avoid paying.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:23 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,032,247 times
^^ Yes, and reps to all the above.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,064,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It all depends if you are interested in the position at 12k less than you thought. If not, I would have stated that if they cannot match the original offer I'd have to withdraw from competition.

Ditto!

If it was a DREAM job and the lower salary was still significantly higher than my current position, I would still take it. I may even try to negotiate for a few thousand more. However, I am concerned that a company would make such an error. It looks, suspicious.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,715 posts, read 81,578,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
If I was considering leaving a job, I would say that I was only interest in the position at the offered salary and try to get them back up.

If I had no job... I probably wouldn't be in a strong position to argue and would have to take it.

It probably also matters how that $12k compares to the overal salary. If you were talking $20k vs $32k, that's a pretty big difference. $150k vs $162k... not as big of a deal comparatively.
I agree, if it was the only likely offer and I needed the job I would at least try to negotiate more, then accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Mistakes do happen, whether HR messes up, or a typo by the newspaper, or some other website. I find it hard to imagine, however, that this was not caught until after interviews. Normally it would be caught sooner and be announced again with a disclaimer about the previous error, and any applicants would be sent a letter inviting them to apply at the lower pay. This sounds suspiciously like a case where they need someone right away but found no one qualified well enough to justify that pay.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,387,268 times
I had a company do this to me. I was interviewing, and I was scheduled to be laid off that Friday, and this job was starting the following Monday and I had nothing else lined up.

After they dropped the pay from $40/hr to $36/hr I told them I was going to interview with someone else who I had previously turned down, and I would let them know if I was still interested after.

I knew they were desperate and I called their bluff (they were a contracting agency)..

He called me back in 10 minutes saying he got the original wage.. I was so glad to be done with them and come on full time with the company I was contracting through..

Only you can know your position, however.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,731,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I wouldn't believe that claim for a second. No company wants to pay $12,000 more in salary than they have to and making promises you can't or won't keep is one thing they try to avoid paying.
Believe what you will. Like I said, vetting candidates costs companies a lot of money. We don't play games like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This sounds suspiciously like a case where they need someone right away but found no one qualified well enough to justify that pay.
I don't buy that. If they want to hire people for a lesser position they can just as well issue a job req for the lesser position and offer the lesser position to the candidates that didn't satisfy the requirements of the higher position. My spouse's previous employer did just that. And as a bonus, they make clear to the candidates precisely where their skills rank them in the organization rather than muddying up things by having lower paid, lower qualified, higher ranked employees mixed in with properly paid, properly qualified, properly ranked employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment