Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:51 AM

40 posts, read 31,985 times

Advertisements

i love asking questions. this is one.

how many applications should someone be filling out per day? how many resumes forwarded and how many hours per day should be spent on one's job search?

i personally limit myself to 3-5 applications per day because i can't sit at my PC long enough to do much more than that, depending on length. I can email my resume all over all day, but to actually sit and complete applications....i can't do more than two hours, three if i'm bogged down in an app and see more i'd like to complete.

is this adequate or am i just lazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:59 AM

31 posts, read 34,757 times
Depends on how bad you want a job.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:09 AM

40 posts, read 31,985 times
so for that person, what does that number look like?

i feel like someone could lose morale/steam by filling out, say, 10-12 applications a day for weeks or months on end. i was that person two years ago and i felt like a useless human being.

that reminds me of when i was renovating my apartment and had to look at dozens of paint swatches a day for over a month. the process grew to be infuriating. i finished....but hated the process, which is the opposite of what i wanted to feel.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:19 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
If you have no job, getting one is your job. Spend all day if you have to if it gets you a job. If you can sit still longer than 3-4 resumes, what makes you think you can sit long enough to work through an entire work day?

You can do other things to find work without sitting and applying all day. People still take walk in applications, go meet some managers, etc

Old 02-16-2015, 06:00 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighkaye View Post

is this adequate or am i just lazy?
Since you asked... that's lazy.

Tired doing it after 3 to 5 apps? How are you going to dedicate yourself to an 8+ hour job when you can't even dedicate yourself to find one?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,662,507 times
One thing I never had to worry about til I moved to a place with only a mildly bad job market, is watch who you fill apps at for, because you just might get the interview! I know that sounds weird, but the culture at my job is horrific enough that I am constantly looking to move on, so in a few fits of rage, I fill out apps for anything that pops up even remotely close to my field. So a week goes by, and I have gotten interview requests for jobs I really, rationally, would never go for, so I politely decline. I know that sounds bad, and I have since refocused, but it is something to be considered if you engage in random app-bombing.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:23 AM

36 posts, read 53,885 times
I am pretty sure that I am applying to jobs that I already applied to at this point. I get a ton of job posts in email everyday and spend the morning filling out and forwarding resumes.

Then I start again early afternoon. I have now expanded the search area and applying for jobs that I would not have considered due to distance. Now I don't care, I will move or take long drive.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighkaye View Post
so for that person, what does that number look like?

i feel like someone could lose morale/steam by filling out, say, 10-12 applications a day for weeks or months on end. i was that person two years ago and i felt like a useless human being.

that reminds me of when i was renovating my apartment and had to look at dozens of paint swatches a day for over a month. the process grew to be infuriating. i finished....but hated the process, which is the opposite of what i wanted to feel.
The goal here is to find a job. So the answer isn't going to be a specific number. It's essentially "how ever many you feel is adequate to get said job". But keeping in mind that quantity ≠ quality. When I was looking - I pretty much applied to everything that met my criteria. But even that, I couldn't find more than one to apply to every few days. So there was no way I could do more than that.

And yea, it's frustrating. But so is not having a job.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
I send out 3-4 applications a month. It has worked well, but I am picky about my jobs. When I was less selective, it could be 7-10 applications a week.

When I get into the 50+ resumes in the past, there were a number of cons.

One, I didn't spend as much time customizing each resumes to match the job description. It was easy to spam, but there was little to no reward. After 2 weeks, I had exhausted already applied for the jobs that fit my experience. There would only be 1-2 new jobs a week.

With fewer submissions, my response rate is about 50%. If I submit 8 resumes in a month, I get 4 call backs for interviews.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:21 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
How long can you sit at a desk and work at a job? 8 hours per day? Maybe that's what you should put into your job search. Right now, your job search is your job, and you should treat it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment