Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of respect for drivers, as I take the bus to work every day, and we stay at a truck stop whenever we are in Portland. Still, just making $50,000 is not a good reason for deserving respect. Being about the median U.S. income it's not a lot of money, but respect for a career involves doing something valuable to the rest of us. In fact, for me the reason for respecting these jobs is that they are willing to do hard, responsible work for so little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Same reason why teachers are looked down upon.

Because no one wants to do the dirty work.

Drivers have one of the hardest, but most important jobs that can be had.

The turnover rate is extremely high.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have a lot of respect for drivers, as I take the bus to work every day, and we stay at a truck stop whenever we are in Portland. Still, just making $50,000 is not a good reason for deserving respect. Being about the median U.S. income it's not a lot of money, but respect for a career involves doing something valuable to the rest of us. In fact, for me the reason for respecting these jobs is that they are willing to do hard, responsible work for so little money.
$53,046 is the median income for a household, not a single person. Average per capita is $28,155. That is the number you should be comparing to.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I made about $75K/year as a Teamster truck driver. I have been retired from trucking for the last 6 years. When I was driving I did not care if others looked down on my job - I was getting paid good money. Of course you have to work for that money - long nights on the road, weekends, holidays away from home. Also the job is hard on your body; trucks are designed to haul freight and not people. Then there is the stress factor and dangers of the job (it is one of the most dangerous jobs). Of course, if there is an accident; the truck driver is always at fault (your bigger, meaner and nastier than anybody else on the road).
That also reminds me if you want to be a trucker I'd recommend giving up alcohol. The penalties for DUI's/OUI's are much higher for truckers. A driver might have a suspended license but a trucker easily will get a suspected license.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
That also reminds me if you want to be a trucker I'd recommend giving up alcohol. The penalties for DUI's/OUI's are much higher for truckers. A driver might have a suspended license but a trucker easily will get a suspected license.
Good. We don't need drunks on the road. Anyone convicted of DUI should have their license permanently revoked IMO.

For truckers, you also must not get into any accidents. It will cost you your job and make it very difficult to be hired elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
And not respected like jobs such as teachers and police officers? I never understood it. The response is generally "because the pay sucks and your out on the road all day long". Hogwash. Top level truck drivers make well north of $50k a year. So again I ask why is transportation jobs whether its truck driving or taxi or even a school bus driver not respected by the masses and only anti social people/ nanny haters seem to prefer the field.
You are are asking why truck drivers aren't respected, then you paint them all as "anti social people / nanny haters". That's a really messed up thing to say about a group of hard-working men and women.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Good. We don't need drunks on the road. Anyone convicted of DUI should have their license permanently revoked IMO.

For truckers, you also must not get into any accidents. It will cost you your job and make it very difficult to be hired elsewhere.
Just breaking any rear-view mirror was a reportable accident. The companies want you to bring their equipment back in the same condition that they gave it to you - even if it's a hunk of you know what!

At any time I could have been given a drug test while I was on duty. It was not worth sacrificing good money for a good time. Sometimes I drove for years without being tested and some times they would send me week after week.

Everything on commercial trucks is heavy and can kill if you are not careful and sometimes even when you are careful. I lost a friend to the wheel of another big truck. I was traveling north on I-81 in VA and waved to my friend going south five minutes before a truck wheel split him in half. It was one of those freak accidents. Another truck, five minutes behind me had just had a wheel put on at a truck stop. The truck driver never checked the lug nuts before he hit the road. The driver behind me lost the mounted tire and it went airborne when it hit the center divider. You figure that the tire was coming at my friend at about 120 MPH - his speed + the speed of the tire. One of these mounted tires probably weights between 250 to 300 pounds. I had another partner that got out of our truck to have a 2X4X8 miss his head by 6 inches - it came off a truck hauling lumber. That would have decapitated him at 65 MPH.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,716 times
If you bought it, a truck brought it.

I personally could never drive over-the-road, it would cut into my lifestyle too much. I'm a local truck driver, it's not as "easy" as what everyone thinks it is.
1. You can't stop on dime, like cars think you can
2. You can't swerve at the last second, like cars think you can
3. You're under more scrutiny from cops and insurance companies
4. Even locally my average day is 10-12 hours
5. You have more regulations to follow

Just to name a few. I'm glad to see that so many of you stuck up for truck drivers. I do think pop culture, paints truck drivers in too negative of a light. Not everyone of us are fat slobs with chew dripping down our chins. As far as the "low entry skill" I promise you 80% of these office chair sitting computer using degree toting intellectuals couldn't do the job.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
If you bought it, a truck brought it.

I personally could never drive over-the-road, it would cut into my lifestyle too much. I'm a local truck driver, it's not as "easy" as what everyone thinks it is.
1. You can't stop on dime, like cars think you can
2. You can't swerve at the last second, like cars think you can
3. You're under more scrutiny from cops and insurance companies
4. Even locally my average day is 10-12 hours
5. You have more regulations to follow

Just to name a few. I'm glad to see that so many of you stuck up for truck drivers. I do think pop culture, paints truck drivers in too negative of a light. Not everyone of us are fat slobs with chew dripping down our chins. As far as the "low entry skill" I promise you 80% of these office chair sitting computer using degree toting intellectuals couldn't do the job.
We aren't? Gee; now I have to loose weight?

But seriously; that is one of our problems. At least for OTR or long haul. We do not get enough exercise. I know that local drivers, like you, got plenty. I got plenty when I worked the dock and yard. Long haul gets very little; except: Where is my next meal? We had to keep our wheels turning to make the big bucks. To do so meant that we sat, ate, sleep - not a very healthy lifestyle. Just one more danger to truck driving.

I never did like chew - but I kept my 64 oz Pepsi handy! I did put on about 30 pounds for fifteen years driving - I guess that wasn't too bad? For exercise I always tried to park as far away from the truck stop buffet as possible!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
How about respect for anyone who works? These days that's a dwindling number.

One of the two most successful people in my graduating class made his living farming and driving truck. I've had enough experiences on the road with the "good guys" to think pretty highly of them. The long haul drivers also make great travel guides.

I'm unsure of the comment about anyone who has had a DUI never being allowed to drive truck again. I know a man who was fired for his amphetamine and alcohol problem and got help. He remained sober for the rest of his life. One time he told me that it seemed a little backwards to keep him from driving as he knew many of his fellow workers were still out there popping pills and drinking but hadn't ever gotten caught. Addiction is one of the hazards of the job, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment