Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you are not being trained and are unable to do your job because your trainer is not showing up to work, you have a reasonable complaint.

I agree with this, and I don't understand why everyone else doesn't see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche1e View Post
I began my employment in this department in November of 2014. The person that is supposed to train me was in this office by herself for over 8 months before I got here. This office is really designed for three people, but this company has a "do more with less" mentality. I said all that to say that the work load in this office is horrible.

My co-worker has been absent constantly since I began. By constantly, I mean that she has not worked an entire two-week payperiod since I started. At first, I chalked this up to the holiday season. But, she is still doing this - in fact she called out today saying that she cannot make it because she has car trouble.

She confided in me that she is a recovering drug addict. She gives many reasons for her absences - back pain (which requires a pain pill presecription), TMJ (again, a pain pill description), and a host of other medical issues.

She is well-liked and has been here for fourteen years. I seem to be the only person who notices that she is continously absent. I also am a bit ticked off, as I feel that her attitude is "Well, now that someone else is here, I can take off whenever I like."

I tried speaking with her about it, and her attitude was 'Whatever it is, can wait until I get back". She doesn't seem to understand that management will not wait, but they will come to me. This puts me on the spot because I have to scramble to find answers to their questions. On the bright side, I'm learning a lot.

She is out a week at a time, which puts us back where we started (one person in the office). We have two different supervisors (don't ask). I thought of going to my supervisor, but I am new and still on probation so I'm in a precarious positon.

I personally think that we have enough for reasonable suspicion.

What should I do?
Well, if you say something. There will likely be two possible outcomes. 1 - you get painted as a whiner/tattletale (as the supervisor is probably aware of whats happening, but still allowing it to go on), which isn't a good first impression given you've been there for just around 90 days. Or 2 - they act upon your complaint, and your co-worker is now also your enemy.

In either case, it doesn't look positive.

At this point, it's unlikely that you'll be able to trust your co-worker. So you'll likely be going at this alone for the time being (and maybe longer). So, start running the place like you're the only person there (you need to start asking question or figuring things out and anticipating those questions/requests). Or, start looking for a new job.

In other words, look at it as an opportunity. Or seek a more 'favorable' environment.

Just my .02 of course.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Quote:

What should I do?
Just do your job & keep learning. Managing others is not your responsibility. There is someone called "manager" to do exactly that. Your supervisors are aware of everyone in the office as its their job. If they come to you for answers, do your best to answer them & if you cant, tell them you will check with your coworker when she gets back. Your coworker's personal issues or unprofessional attitude is not your problem. Its between her & the company. Learn as much as you can on your own. Most of us don't have a mentor to teach us at new jobs & we are thrown in the middle of a project to figure out solutions on our own. Be polite with your coworker & don't probe her with any questions. She has been with the company much longer than you so stay away from any office politics. Just do your job to the best of your abilities & that's it. You don't know the history & the work she has done for the company over the years so if they are overlooking her absences & still keeping her around, it means she is in good standing with the company & her coworkers. I had to work with someone much older than me who would come to work very late & leave late. He was undergoing some medical treatments in the morning so we had to work around his schedule & make up for his absences very often. When I first joined the team I thought it was odd but when I saw the supervisors & coworkers have a lot of respect for this person & didn't mind adjusting their workload for him, I did the same. At some point this person must have done the same for other coworkers & this might be a way for them to pay back. A new employee cannot expect to get away with the same behavior though. You need to build a reputation at workplace.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Usually I am in the camp of the "mind your own business" crowd, but I am in this exact same position and I understand how much it sucks.

There is another person on my team who has my exact same position who started a year after me. She is constantly 45 minutes late. One time she didn't come in and didn't call and my boss asked ME where SHE was. She always took 2 or 3 days a week off. Then she got pregnant and it got even worse. She moved 2 hours away from our office for 3 months and always needed to leave early. One time she called in bc she missed the train, which comes ever 30 minutes. She went on maternity leave and never even told me.

All I can say is good luck and look for another job, because its never going to get any better.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
A woman just came into the office today and because my co-worker wasn't here, asked me a question that I had no idea how to answer. My co-worker doesn't have anything written down so there is nothing to study.
"I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to that question. I'll make some calls to find the answer, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Do you mind waiting or may I have your phone number or email address?"

Then you text or call your co-worker and ask them the question (and now you know the answer if this question is asked in the future). You then immediately contact the woman with the answer.

If you don't get a timely response from your co-worker, you ask your supervisor the question. "Co-worker is not available right now, and I have a question from someone I'd like to be able to answer before the end of the day."

This is a positive reflection on you - you're not saying "I don't know" and then being dismissive. You're showing initiative that if you don't know the answer, you'll find the answer. You're being responsive to a request, and you're making it a priority. People will now know they can count on you. To top it off, you've learned something new.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Ok, lets ask the question of what would happen if one didn't mind their own business.

So, you go to your supervisor and say your trainer is out too much and you're not getting properly trained. They should do something about the employees excessive absences.

What possible outcome do you see realistically coming from that which would be beneficial?

I can't realistically think of one. We KNOW the employer knows how often the person is out. This isn't news.

So, what benefit would come from this course of action?

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
If you don't know the answer to something, ask one of the supervisors.

I agree with macroy, that this is an opportunity to take charge and learn as much as possible. Even if you don't stay, you will have learned new things for the next job.

And since you have no respect for the three people you work with, it's not the place for you to stay long-term.

Watching and complaining about what others are doing at work, unless it's illegal or unethical, etc., always comes back to bite you in the butt. People are trying to warn you of that. Take heed.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
While I generally tend to agree that being a "tattletale" is usually a bad idea, in this situation I see it a little differently. If there is a negative impact on the business or its customers I think it is reasonable that the OP can and even should bring it to the attention of her supervisor.

I would recommend avoiding commentary about the coworker and her issues. Assume management is aware of her absences and the reasons for them, just discuss your concerns with the impact the lack of staffing is having on the day to day operation.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:33 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,967 times
I would say it would be reasonable for you to go to your boss and say hey, wasn't I supposed to be trained? I have people asking me questions that I don't know the answer to. Where is my trainer? Is there someone else that can train me? I'm trying to do my best here, but how am I supposed to find out how to do my job if there is no one here to show me how to do my job??

Old 03-09-2015, 09:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I would say it would be reasonable for you to go to your boss and say hey, wasn't I supposed to be trained? I have people asking me questions that I don't know the answer to. Where is my trainer? Is there someone else that can train me? I'm trying to do my best here, but how am I supposed to find out how to do my job if there is no one here to show me how to do my job??

I would certainly not phrase it anything similar to this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment