Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,158 times

Advertisements

I began my employment in this department in November of 2014. The person that is supposed to train me was in this office by herself for over 8 months before I got here. This office is really designed for three people, but this company has a "do more with less" mentality. I said all that to say that the work load in this office is horrible.

My co-worker has been absent constantly since I began. By constantly, I mean that she has not worked an entire two-week payperiod since I started. At first, I chalked this up to the holiday season. But, she is still doing this - in fact she called out today saying that she cannot make it because she has car trouble.

She confided in me that she is a recovering drug addict. She gives many reasons for her absences - back pain (which requires a pain pill presecription), TMJ (again, a pain pill description), and a host of other medical issues.

She is well-liked and has been here for fourteen years. I seem to be the only person who notices that she is continously absent. I also am a bit ticked off, as I feel that her attitude is "Well, now that someone else is here, I can take off whenever I like."

I tried speaking with her about it, and her attitude was 'Whatever it is, can wait until I get back". She doesn't seem to understand that management will not wait, but they will come to me. This puts me on the spot because I have to scramble to find answers to their questions. On the bright side, I'm learning a lot.

She is out a week at a time, which puts us back where we started (one person in the office). We have two different supervisors (don't ask). I thought of going to my supervisor, but I am new and still on probation so I'm in a precarious positon.

I personally think that we have enough for reasonable suspicion.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 AM

928 posts, read 1,104,629 times
Sure, do it. Rats and tattletales are highly respected innour society.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Are you her boss/supervisor?

If the answer is no, then your answer is no.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,333,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Are you her boss/supervisor?

If the answer is no, then your answer is no.
This, this, 1000X this.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,483,123 times
You really think you're the only person who's aware of her absences?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 AM

Ok,

So how do I handle this? Just shrug my shoulders?

A woman just came into the office today and because my co-worker wasn't here, asked me a question that I had no idea how to answer. My co-worker doesn't have anything written down so there is nothing to study.

I'm tried of being put in this position.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
You really think you're the only person who's aware of her absences?

No one has done anything. People are sympathetic when she takes time off, as if it's ok.

Seriously, the woman has not worked two weeks without taking time off ever since November. And it's normally more than one day.

I think she should be made to take medical leave if her health is that bad, which I don't believe it is.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:31 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,371,266 times
If you are not being trained and are unable to do your job because your trainer is not showing up to work, you have a reasonable complaint.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche1e View Post
Ok,

So how do I handle this? Just shrug my shoulders?

You focus on your work. The end.

Quote:

A woman just came into the office today and because my co-worker wasn't here, asked me a question that I had no idea how to answer. My co-worker doesn't have anything written down so there is nothing to study.

You tell them you don't know the answer and refer them to the person that does, who may or may not be there that day.

Quote:

I'm tried of being put in this position.
If you don't like your job find a new one.

Everybody has parts of their job they do not like.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,371,266 times
Quote:
No one has done anything. People are sympathetic when she takes time off, as if it's ok.

Seriously, the woman has not worked two weeks without taking time off ever since November. And it's normally more than one day.

I think she should be made to take medical leave if her health is that bad, which I don't believe it is.

The type of leave she is on is up to her supervisor, not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment