Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM

908 posts, read 964,542 times

Advertisements

I just started work about 6 weeks ago. my boss is only in the office about 10 hours a week so I feel like it's taken a longer time for me to learn things. my coworker is also in and out on her own time and some days simply doesn't show up. no one cares b/c they love her. I don't really care about all this -- actually I like the flexibility of the environment. but I do agree when people aren't there in the beginning when you're trying to learn the job it's a little harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:33 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,775,539 times
Not your problem, unless she directly affects your work.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:23 PM

607 posts, read 982,214 times
The OP must be one of those people who tries to get others fired.

If you need training then just ask. Someone will help you.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,249,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niche1e View Post
Ok,

So how do I handle this? Just shrug my shoulders?

A woman just came into the office today and because my co-worker wasn't here, asked me a question that I had no idea how to answer. My co-worker doesn't have anything written down so there is nothing to study.

I'm tried of being put in this position.
Tell the person asking that your coworker isn't in and refer them to your coworker's supervisor for help.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:36 PM

3,055 posts, read 5,016,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Tell the person asking that your coworker isn't in and refer them to your coworker's supervisor for help.
You could do that. If you're on the same team, it makes everyone look bad, but it is a solution. One that makes you not a 'team player'. You can record every instance of your co-workers absence. Report it to anyone who will listen (hr). Air your team's dirty laundry.

What do you really accomplish with this passive aggressive behavior? You could make your manager look inept. You could make your co-worker hate you. You could alienate yourself from everyone on the team.

Or you can find a way to answer the question. Cover for your coworker. Show the organization that your team runs like a well oiled machine. Gain the respect of your boss and the appreciation of your co-worker.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
You could do that. If you're on the same team, it makes everyone look bad, but it is a solution. One that makes you not a 'team player'. You can record every instance of your co-workers absence. Report it to anyone who will listen (hr). Air your team's dirty laundry.

What do you really accomplish with this passive aggressive behavior? You could make your manager look inept. You could make your co-worker hate you. You could alienate yourself from everyone on the team.

Or you can find a way to answer the question. Cover for your coworker. Show the organization that your team runs like a well oiled machine. Gain the respect of your boss and the appreciation of your co-worker.
Give me a break. My suggestion wasn't that bad. It allows the OP to mind his/her own business and makes the supervisor accountable for the absent employee. I didn't get the impression that the 2 coworkers are a "team." To me it sounds like they have different duties, somewhat. The OP shouldn't have to cover for the absent coworker this often, at least not without some kind of explanation. I know there are privacy rules, but if the coworker is really on some kind of sporadic approved leave, someone should have let the OP know how to handle things in her absence. That would have been a "team player" thing to do.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:57 PM

The first time I read this, for some reason, I thought the OP and coworker were in a remote location away from supervision. Now I'm not reading it that way.

OP, it is possible that, after 14 years, this person has enough PTO banked to take this much time off legitimately. If that is the case, and the supervisor is on site and aware of the absences, I don't think you should do or say anything. If there is a question you can't answer, ask your supervisor, then the coworker's supervisor until you get an answer. If work goes undone, they ought to realize it is due to understaffing and the coworker's absence. You can only do so much. They pay's the same no matter what you do with your day, right?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:10 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,908,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe she's on a flexible FMLA with them and can take time off as needed according to the FMLA agreement.
THIS. This is likely why no one is "doing anything" about it, as you say. She's protected, and she knows it.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,508 times
Quote:
No one has done anything. People are sympathetic when she takes time off, as if it's ok.

Seriously, the woman has not worked two weeks without taking time off ever since November. And it's normally more than one day.

I think she should be made to take medical leave if her health is that bad, which I don't believe it is.
It's really not your place to say anything. It's a private matter between she and her boss. They may have an understanding. I had a job where I had a contract to come and go as I pleased, except when certain circumstances needed me there. Sometimes I worked 10 hour days, then be gone a week; come in at noon, etc. As long as I kept my work up to date and par. It was my boss's idea, not mine. Of course some coworkers were jealous, but it was none of their business.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,508 times
Default lfs

Quote:
No one has done anything. People are sympathetic when she takes time off, as if it's ok.

Seriously, the woman has not worked two weeks without taking time off ever since November. And it's normally more than one day.

I think she should be made to take medical leave if her health is that bad, which I don't believe it is.
It's really not your place to say anything. It's a private matter between she and her boss. They may have an understanding. I had a job where I had a contract to come and go as I pleased, except when certain circumstances needed me there. Sometimes I worked 10 hour days, then be gone a week; come in at noon, etc. As long as I kept my work up to date and par. It was my boss's idea, not mine. Of course some coworkers were jealous, but it was none of their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment