Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times

Advertisements

Enough Already About The Job-Hopping Millennials | FiveThirtyEight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,521 times
In 7 years as an electrician, I changed companies...9 times. Made more money every time. Only stuck with those that were willing to pay me raises.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM

229 posts, read 382,647 times
Companies do what's best for them. People should as well.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:09 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
Companies do what's best for them. People should as well.
Absolutely. Today's younger generation is not held back by a sense of obligation to employers. There are drawbacks and benefits to this attitude for both the employees and the employers, but it is what it is. Millennials often feel they can do better -- sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. Your 20s are a time to learn about yourself and about the business world in general, and today's 20-somethings are just learning in a different way than older generations did. Nothing is static and everything changes.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
I don't see any issue with someone job hopping to advance their career and their salaries by moving to jobs who pay more. I think it's a bad idea to continually job hop horizontally just because people find something about their current company that they disagree with and move just because of a disagreement. If you aren't advancing, you're going to hit a brick wall eventually.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I've "job-hopped" and both succeeded and failed at it. The times I've failed, I knew it would be a financially stupid move, but made the move for other reasons.

My first job after college was an IT call center starting five years ago this month. Had I stayed there, I could have moved around the call center directorate, but as far as I know, no one from this site's call center directorate moved up into a professional role. That was a dead-end.

I took a job at a better company, but still doing call center work. I had coworkers who made fun of routinely because of my Southern accent, and I didn't much care for the area or the job and went back home.

Ended up having three contract jobs that year, each paying less than the last. It was an awful experience before I settled into my current role last year. I've been here a little over a year and have no plans of leaving, but had I not jumped around for a few years (which was hell being in call centers), I probably wouldn't have ended up in the position I'm in.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM

329 posts, read 627,689 times
How can you afford not to job hop in today's job environment. Can't blame them for it. I see many millenials struggling with low paying jobs. It is the norm for employees to do more work for less money and employees have every right to get every $ they can get.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM

210 posts, read 245,980 times
I've always been a firm believer in doing what you think is best for yourself.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
There are some issues I have with the article. The first group - ages 20-24 shouldn't even be part of the equation because some of the people in the group are in school, while others keep the jobs they had beyond graduation because they're not finding anything else, and change jobs once they land something in their field. And some of them who have been in their jobs for 16 months have been looking to make a change for a good number of those months.

Their next group is 25 - 34. I tend to think in terms of two subgroups of millennials. The 25-30 group tends to hop more than the 30-34 based on what I've seen. Many in their 30's have mortgages and families and just want some stability. The job-hoppers I'm aware of are 25-30 for the most part.

Some of the so-called job-hoppers in the other generations aren't job hopping by choice. Their jobs have been eliminated and many now have families and would welcome the security of a job they knew they'd be able to keep for a number of years.

Younger millennials job hop by choice. They have school debt, but no mortgage or mouths to feed. In my opinion, some of them are wise to do this, but many could find themselves behind. They're not staying in one job long enough to actually learn everything about it. They may reach a point where they have too many job changes to be attractive to an employer. Or they reach a point where what they've learned falls short of what someone in the workforce for X numbers of years should know. I think long term they could end up losing ground.

Comparing what's going on today with what happened in the 1980s is also a bit misleading, but that's too much to get into.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,805,568 times
I got out of the navy in 1999 and have had 7 full time positions since then. No one ever questioned job hopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment