Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM

615 posts, read 726,375 times

Advertisements

* Tens of millions of unemployed to choose from, millions of them with college educations in every discipline imaginable

* Tons of applicant tracking software products where they can learn anything they want about candidates. Along with LinkedIn, Facebook, reference checks, psychological tests, 6-hour intervieww, etc., endless opportunities opportunities to harass and snoop on candidates.

* People willing to work or peanuts, sometimes even for free so they can gain experience

And yet we still hear employers complain about not being able to find any qualified candidates. Are employers expecting perfect Americans with 10 yrs of experience to be served to them on a silver platter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,142,682 times
Mod cut.

Let's say the answer to your question is: yes, employers have become "spoiled brats" with " endless opportunities opportunities to harass and snoop on candidates".

Now what? How does that help you find employment?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-14-2015 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:26 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
And yet we still hear employers complain about not being able to find any qualified candidates. Are employers expecting perfect Americans with 10 yrs of experience to be served to them on a silver platter?
In short, yes. But I think it depends on the industry, too. Having spent most of my seven year career in telecom, I can say without a doubt that it's an 'Old Boys Club'. It's very incestuous in nature and they tend to hire only people with lots of experience in telecom. The average age in my department is probably about 50. I am the youngest person at 29 by about 15 years. I have tried to suggest my younger friends as potential candidates for jobs here, but they only seem to be interested in hiring within the 40+ crowd with 15+ years of experience. The only reason I was hired is because I knew my current manager from previous employment.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
More generally, you're asking whether buyers have become spoiled brats about how they spend their money.

Quote:
* Tens of millions of unemployed to choose from, millions of them with college educations in every discipline imaginable
As a buyer, I know that there are tens of millions of cars without owners sitting on car sale lots. Many of them have technologically advanced drive trains and shiny paint of every color imaginable.
Quote:

* Tons of applicant tracking software products where they can learn anything they want about candidates. Along with LinkedIn, Facebook, reference checks, psychological tests, 6-hour intervieww, etc., endless opportunities opportunities to harass and snoop on candidates.
There's tons of online software products that track vehicles and allow me to learn everything I want to know about them. Along with Consumer Reports, CarFax, mechanics and long test drives.
Quote:

* People willing to work or peanuts, sometimes even for free so they can gain experience
Some cars are so discounted and built of low quality that they'll never be able to compete with the mid-level cars in the market
Quote:

And yet I've seen buyers complain about not being able to find the car they desire. Realistically, there's only a handful of good candidates for any field of demand and the employers are fighting over them. The solution would be to invest in the creation of more good quality candidates.

If employers want to spend their money one way vs another, that's their right. Just like if car buyers want to spend their money on a certain type of car vs another.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Absolutely. Especially since employers have decided that they no longer need to train workers. They just keep posting for purple squirrels and playing tug of war with the same aging workers.

Also they complain about talent shortages when they can't find that purple squirrel, willing to take a pay cut, who is also fun to hang out with for the manager, and can get past all HR's quackery.

I have zero sympathy for companies that claim they can't find good workers.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I have zero sympathy for companies that claim they can't find good workers.
Whenever I hear that, I always think of two things..either the pay is lacking or the benefits are horrible. Of course, there may always be upper-level problems which result in employees never sticking around.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:57 AM

306 posts, read 431,625 times
Quote:

Yes. They will take advantage anyway they can.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I am not seeing the so-called problem finding good candidates, but we do require a lot of experience. In some cases as many as 10 years. We still get lots of applicants, but rarely are they out of work, most are already employed elsewhere.
It's not a matter of being "brats", it's simply good business to hire someone with the skills and experience that can make a significant contribution immediately. As long as such candidates are available there is no need to lower the hiring standards. It's no longer the 1990s when employers were fighting over the recent graduates and offering all kinds of benefits/incentives to attract them except for the bigger tech companies. Those are the ones complaining about the lack of good workers, and they are not likely to hire the people with no experience who are complaining about no jobs.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I am not seeing the so-called problem finding good candidates, but we do require a lot of experience. In some cases as many as 10 years. We still get lots of applicants, but rarely are they out of work, most are already employed elsewhere.
It's not a matter of being "brats", it's simply good business to hire someone with the skills and experience that can make a significant contribution immediately. As long as such candidates are available there is no need to lower the hiring standards. It's no longer the 1990s when employers were fighting over the recent graduates and offering all kinds of benefits/incentives to attract them except for the bigger tech companies. Those are the ones complaining about the lack of good workers, and they are not likely to hire the people with no experience who are complaining about no jobs.
This will pose a serious problem in 5-10 years once the Boomers start retiring in full force. There will be a serious skills/experience shortage among the younger generations, because very few gave them a chance and allowed them to develop their skills and experience. The problem with a lot of organizations is that they're run by old school, crusty, short-sighted, "this is the way it's always been done" individuals who couldn't care less about long term development and growth.

I guess it's cyclical. Companies will once again be paying through the nose for mediocre talent.

Last edited by Lafleur; 05-14-2015 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
[Snip.]

Let's say the answer to your question is: yes, employers have become "spoiled brats" with " endless opportunities opportunities to harass and snoop on candidates".

Now what? How does that help you find employment?
Mod cut.

He has a valid point. The employers are looking for someone with very specific requirements. In some cases, the requirements are so specific that they are limiting the pool of employees just by their description. Add to that wanting to pay as cheaply as possible for their desired unicorn with a blue back right hoof.

I may not see it in my lifetime, but I long for the days when it is an employee's market again.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Reply to comment which has been deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment