Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 02:10 AM

525 posts, read 815,281 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been on COBRA plans after leaving work? When I changed my job, I incurred one month gap before my new plan took effect during which I had my dental work done. So got yesterday COBRA packet from my employer's plan administrator TaxSaverPlan, I went to their website. I enrolled and when I tried to make online payment I noticed they were going to charge me $20 convenience fee on top of my $40 dental plan. What the hell? That's a rip-off on top next level after utility providers who charge $2-3 for "convenience".

I filled out the printed form, grabbed my own envelope, check and post stamp. They did not even bother to mail in a return envelope. I had a nice little walk to my nearest blue box to avoid $20 fee.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 08:23 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
I would have done the same thing.

In fact, any time any company tries to charge me a fee of any amount for making a phone or online payment, I usually say forget it and mail them a check.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:59 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Employers are permitted by law to charge participants in a COBRA plan the full amount of the premium, plus an "administrative" fee not to exceed 2%. When I was on a COBRA plan years ago, my employer did just that, and it applied even if you mailed in a check.

As long as the $20 doesn't exceed 2% of the premium, they can do that, and they can also charge it if you mail them a check. If they are waiving the administrative fee if you mail them a check, then consider yourself lucky. Seems odd they would only charge for an online payment, though.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:35 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
A "convenience fee" can be charged (in excess of the administration fee) if the plan normally bills via checks but made a credit or debit card option available to you for your convince. Normally, this is handled through a third party payment center and that's why the fee is charged. There are about 10 states that do not allow such fees so it also depends on where you live. You can avoid such fee by using a payment method that does not incur additional fees to the service provider. (as an FYI, it's actually cost less to process a physical check than it does for the fees credit card companies an processors charge)

Old 09-13-2015, 12:39 PM

525 posts, read 815,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
A "convenience fee" can be charged (in excess of the administration fee) if the plan normally bills via checks but made a credit or debit card option available to you for your convince. Normally, this is handled through a third party payment center and that's why the fee is charged. There are about 10 states that do not allow such fees so it also depends on where you live. You can avoid such fee by using a payment method that does not incur additional fees to the service provider. (as an FYI, it's actually cost less to process a physical check than it does for the fees credit card companies an processors charge)
My plan tried to charge $20 flat admin fee on top of whole premium+2%administrative fee for any online payment, credit/debit or ACH electronic check did not matter. They would waive if I authorized auto-draft from my bank though. It is just damn stupid.
Don't forget they have to pay payroll for employees who process checks which may cost more than 3rd party charging processing fee. Merchandisers get charged interchange fee from banks typically around 2% + $0.10 for credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment