Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do young people today major in economically useless subjects?
ignorance about the bubble 36 21.05%
too lazy to do engineering/accounting/nursing 46 26.90%
other (comment) 89 52.05%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 PM

297 posts, read 277,966 times

Advertisements

some point in the early 90s is when college degree started losing value, and choice of major became more and more important. Do young people today major in economically useless subjects because of ignorance (lack of knowledge about education bubble), or laziness? Somehow intuitively, they must understand that they can't drop 50k on an economically useless major and expect to find a decent job when everyone else is going to college too, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,013,643 times
Because the advice today is, "Do something you are passionate about" vs. "Do something that will make you a good living".

I majored in English and minored in Psychology in college which I enjoyed immensely in college but at the end of the day, it was a complete waste of money. I wouldn't say total waste of time as many jobs today you can't even get your foot in the door without a college degree. But haven't done anything even remotely related to English or Psychology.

I agree, most majors are completely USELESS but its better than not having one at all these days. Unfortunately, I always sucked at the STEM's and never had interest in them. But Engineering, Sciences, Computer Science, Healthcare etc. is where the money is at.

At the end of the day, if you're not majoring in something that can give you a good living, I would suggest the trades. Anything outside the STEMs in college today are completely USELESS majors.

Universities becoming greedy and a scam to get these kids in debt do not help one bit either. Truth is, colleges should do away with 80-85 percent of these waste of time JOKE majors which bring no real value in the real world or make you big money

Old 11-08-2015, 05:54 PM

138 posts, read 115,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
some point in the early 90s is when college degree started losing value, and choice of major became more and more important. Do young people today major in economically useless subjects because of ignorance (lack of knowledge about education bubble), or laziness? Somehow intuitively, they must understand that they can't drop 50k on an economically useless major and expect to find a decent job when everyone else is going to college too, right?
Because of the advice your generation is giving them.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:54 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,974,181 times
Other: to get an athletic scholarship, you have to major in SOMETHING. Many shouldn't have even graduated High School.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:58 PM

6,408 posts, read 4,139,186 times
At some point in the 90s, the politically correct liberal douche crowd took over academia and started telling students to major in something they are passionate about and completely ignore reality. Every single art, art history, english, psych, and other useless BA people I know ended up in retail, starbucks, or call centers.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:02 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
At some point in the 90s, the politically correct liberal douche crowd took over academia and started telling students to major in something they are passionate about and completely ignore reality. Every single art, art history, english, psych, and other useless BA people I know ended up in retail, starbucks, or call centers.
WRONG. Because I went to school in the 80's and it was exactly the same.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,161,136 times
The people I know who majored in English and Psych make marginally less than the engineers, accountants and nurses I know.

If you want to make $, be a doctor or a banker.

The idea that one undergraduate major will lead to a life of riches and job security while another will lead to poverty and constant unemployment is just a myth.

Real life shows you the truth.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,521,801 times
Other: Sometimes people follow their dreams and interests. Following a career field they find fulfilling may be most important to them. It's after they try to find the job and realize how underpaid and/or glutted their field is that they become more practical.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:11 PM

297 posts, read 277,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The people I know who majored in English and Psych make marginally less than the engineers, accountants and nurses I know.

If you want to make $, be a doctor or a banker.

The idea that one undergraduate major will lead to a life of riches and job security while another will lead to poverty and constant unemployment is just a myth.

Real life shows you the truth.
interesting. but i wonder how that could be. if college is becoming as common as high school degrees in the 70s, and psychology and english majors don't qualify for decent paying white collar jobs, how could they possibly be making marginally less than engineers and nurses? Perhaps the people you are know all have great people skills, which is why you are their friend?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,161,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCuriouss View Post
if college is becoming as common as high school degrees in the 70s, and psychology and english majors don't qualify for decent paying white collar jobs,
Who said that?

If you major in the humanities, you can get into a bevy of industries.

For example, of my friends who have English/Psych degrees...

-One does marketing for an amusement park.

-One does high level admin/marketing work for a real estate firm.

-A few teach high school.

-One is a senior editor at a fairly major publisher

If you think people in those positions make much less than engineers, then I think you are mistaken.

Now. I DO know people who make double, triple, and even four times what I make.

Medicine, oral surgery, and banking. If you want $, then don't f@ck around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment