Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 08:07 AM

15 posts, read 50,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Does the boss have an office he can meet with you in? Why subject you to a lunch to discuss business? I think it is more likely that he sees OP as an important part of the future of the company, and wants him to become more of a peer than an underling.

Yes, my boss has an office he can meet with me in. We have met in his office numerous times to discuss things. It's a construction company and we always do our talking and meetings back at the shop, in his office. He has never asked me to lunch before. My head is spinning and I'm kind of excited/nervous. I have found out that my boss is going to demote current the General Foreman back to being a Project Coordinator. (FYI I am also a Project Coordinator)

** Currently we have (2) General Foreman & (2) Project Coordinators **

I don't know what this means for my lunch meeting.

It could be one of a few things:

1.) My boss just wants to let me know that he's demoting this guy.

2.) My boss wants to let me know that he's demoting this guy and wants my opinion on who should be the new General Foreman.

3.) My boss wants to let me know that he's demoting this guy and he wants me to be the new General Foreman.

Now, maybe it's just me, but I think it would kind of mean to keep me waiting for this lunch meeting, and then have the topic be anything but a promotion.

I guess I will find out...

(PS: I'm a "she"! haha)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
It's hard to gage a boss unless you are really close to me. I think it is just the boss wants a meeting away from the work setting that may include the foreman talk even if you aren't up for a promotion. This is rather common in small business.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:23 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
It's extremely unlikely that your boss wants to meet with you to discuss the demotion of another employee, especially one who is your superior, and even more especially one who is your friend. There is just no good reason at all for him to do that, and probably about eleventy billion terrible ones. He can be sued six ways from Sunday for discussing confidential issues like that with another employee, and if he knows your the man's friend, everything he says will get back to that employee.

Relax. You're going to be fine. Every sign points to a good outcome for you, although I'm sorry it seems to be coming at the expense of your friend.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:25 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_90 View Post
Yes, my boss has an office he can meet with me in. We have met in his office numerous times to discuss things. It's a construction company and we always do our talking and meetings back at the shop, in his office. He has never asked me to lunch before. My head is spinning and I'm kind of excited/nervous. I have found out that my boss is going to demote current the General Foreman back to being a Project Coordinator. (FYI I am also a Project Coordinator)

** Currently we have (2) General Foreman & (2) Project Coordinators **

I don't know what this means for my lunch meeting.

It could be one of a few things:

1.) My boss just wants to let me know that he's demoting this guy.

2.) My boss wants to let me know that he's demoting this guy and wants my opinion on who should be the new General Foreman.

3.) My boss wants to let me know that he's demoting this guy and he wants me to be the new General Foreman.

Now, maybe it's just me, but I think it would kind of mean to keep me waiting for this lunch meeting, and then have the topic be anything but a promotion.

I guess I will find out...

(PS: I'm a "she"! haha)
Sadly, this revelation brings on "lunch with boss" thoughts/situation/angle you have yet to consider. Be cautious. It is another possibility.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:26 PM

15 posts, read 50,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Sadly, this revelation brings on "lunch with boss" thoughts/situation/angle you have yet to consider. Be cautious. It is another possibility.
What do you mean?

Old 11-15-2015, 12:42 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
It might be a promotion. Keep it to yourself and cross your fingers and toes.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I can't imagine someone would take out an employee out to lunch to tell him he's fired.
Agreed. The boss doesn't want to have to tell you something negative and then have to still sit there with you through the rest of a lunch.

I would say 95% chance it's something positive, whether that be promotion, new opportunity, etc. The only time I might say it could be something negative is if you are very close friends with your boss and they want to soften a bad blow with a lunch.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
He's probably going to ask to crash at your place since his wife is kicking him out of the house.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:47 PM

563 posts, read 523,872 times
Default Bosses and lunch!

If a boss ask you to lunch, it is typically a good thing. They are spending their time and the companies money on you. When you fire someone, you do not take them to lunch. Same with demoting someone. I would say he wants to get some info out of you. What is your take on......etc. Or, it could be a promotion. At any rate, it is a good thing. Think of it as such and it will be.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I can't imagine someone would take out an employee out to lunch to tell him he's fired.
I would agree that it's probably something positive and would also agree that it wouldn't be firing you, but I could see a boss taking an employee to lunch to let him know that he can't give you the promotion at this time (esp. if he sensed that word on the street was you're getting it) but you remain a valued employee and maybe in the future you can move up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment