Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,163,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
She's not my manager. She's the client's PM.

Again, it was a joke, not ridiculing. People make a lot worse jokes to the upper echelons than that.
The client is always right. And you were making fun of a client. Sounds like you also have an issue.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,111,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, when we take the emotional response out of things from the way the OP was written (too many focusing on the words used rather than the meaning -- much PC here), there are a couple of valid points in there. Where I work, yes the guys do joke back and forth over things like typos. You better have a thick skin here because we can be pretty stinging with each other. And, yes, we have a good number of women in those "guys." They just get right in there and mix it up too.

Frankly had the OP not used the word "girl" in the title and "legally blonde" so that everyone thought he was talking about a man, this whole thread would have been on the issue of authority vs knowledge, and a joke, one way or the other. But instead everyone reacted to the word "girl" and off we go down a PC rabbit trail.
Nope. I would bet $$ that if it were a young dude the OP would not have as much of a problem with it. As I already pointed out, the OP could have and should have focused on authority vs. knowledge, but he CHOSE not to.

Words matter. He can't try to ding her for a typo then come here and use whatever descriptions he wants and expect NOT to get dinged back.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:35 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,130,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
The client is always right. And you were making fun of a client. Sounds like you also have an issue.
Ok, listen to me very carefully. Will only tell you this once.

At this point, I have a lot of hard time taking her seriously anymore. In her last meeting, she kept commenting that we are overcharging them. My boss kept asking her to be specific, especially when we had already given them the breakdowns of our charges.

She's a PM, for goodness sake. I don't think she understands how serious her accusation really is. While she hasn't produced anything at all to support her claim, she keeps commenting that our invoices seemed too high. And this is exactly why I said earlier that someone straight from college shouldn't be made PM straight out of college. Anyone with a couple years of experience in construction management knows that construction is expensive. Everything is expensive in construction.

This isn't the only thing she says that is out of line. But her daddy keeps protecting her.

Also, for those who accuse me of being sexist, go ahead and keep thinking that. My conscience is clear.

3 months ago, I was given 3 candidates to join my team. 2 guys and 1 girl straight out of college. After reviewing them, I told my boss I wanted the girl. And she joined our team a couple weeks later. I've been training her. I've been showing her everything I know. When the corporate office failed to give her proper company equipment after the first few days, I personally called them and made sure she got everything the next day.

If the client I mentioned was a guy who always acted like Hulk Hogan, I would have started calling him Hogan. My making fun of people have nothing to do with whether I'm racist or sexist or whatever ist. If a guy acts like superman, I would have called him superman.

In this particular instance, she really does act like that legally blond girl in the movie. I'm sure in her mind she's the most gifted person in the world for having made it to PM straight out of college while the rest of us actually worked hard and smart to get to where we are.

But go ahead and keep defending her if you think her behavior is acceptable.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:39 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't think this has much to be with her being 20. Just a personality difference.
Agreed. I wasn't a raging incompetent psycho when I was 20 years old. In fact, I was managing an education program. And going to school.

And I was way too anal to send an email with typos.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,111,428 times
Quote:

At this point, I have a lot of hard time taking her seriously anymore. In her last meeting, she kept commenting that we are overcharging them. My boss kept asking her to be specific, especially when we had already given them the breakdowns of our charges.

She's a PM, for goodness sake. I don't think she understands how serious her accusation really is. While she hasn't produced anything at all to support her claim, she keeps commenting that our invoices seemed too high. And this is exactly why I said earlier that someone straight from college shouldn't be made PM straight out of college. Anyone with a couple years of experience in construction management knows that construction is expensive. Everything is expensive in construction.

This isn't the only thing she says that is out of line. But her daddy keeps protecting her.

Also, for those who accuse me of being sexist, go ahead and keep thinking that. My conscience is clear.

3 months ago, I was given 3 candidates to join my team. 2 guys and 1 girl straight out of college. After reviewing them, I told my boss I wanted the girl. And she joined our team a couple weeks later. I've been training her. I've been showing her everything I know. When the corporate office failed to give her proper company equipment after the first few days, I personally called them and made sure she got everything the next day.

If the client I mentioned was a guy who always acted like Hulk Hogan, I would have started calling him Hogan. My making fun of people have nothing to do with whether I'm racist or sexist or whatever ist. If a guy acts like superman, I would have called him superman.

In this particular instance, she really does act like that legally blond girl in the movie. I'm sure in her mind she's the most gifted person in the world for having made it to PM straight out of college while the rest of us actually worked hard and smart to get to where we are.

Such condescension! It's really not helping you.

Every word you write that you think is helping "your case" is just making it worse. She may be doing things wrong, but your attitude is the pits. I've known people who think like this; it's a cancer in the company.

Just stop judging others and focus on YOUR approach and whether it helps the company for you to spread your kind of poison.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:46 PM

16,589 posts, read 10,711,578 times
OK, so the "girl" is a lousy PM and an annoying client. I agree with you about making her put up or shut up about the overcharge accusation. But other than that, what can you realistically do about it? Her daddy's company is the customer, and unless you want to cause your company to lose a customer, your options are limited.

If she brings up the typo again, just say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect" and leave it at that. Granted, you probably DID mean to show disrespect; but you don't need to admit that. And from now on, keep every single word with her on a strictly business level.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,163,452 times
Unless you are doing work at cost you are overcharging, it is called profit. Her job is to get you to do it for least possible. if she can get you to do the work for free even better.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:56 PM

504 posts, read 802,648 times
Quote:

Your post reeks of jealousy. Keep it up and soon you will find yourself out the door. She has the right to question each and every hour on your invoices. When I was with the State I would ask for explanation for every hour billed to me by the CM consultants. If they couldn't justify I wouldn't pay them. It was tax payers (including me) money and I made damn sure that every penny was justified before spending it on several hundred million dollar construction contracts.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:01 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,730,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed. I wasn't a raging incompetent psycho when I was 20 years old.
And we have no real reason to believe that this woman is either, the OP's complaints notwithstanding. The most likely scenario is that the OP isn't anywhere near as offensive as he's come across in this thread, and the woman the OP is disparaging isn't anywhere near as incompetent as the OP claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just stop judging others and focus on YOUR approach and whether it helps the company for you to spread your kind of poison.
This is good advice. It does seem that one source of conflict involves cost, and so antagonizing the PM by projecting a general lack of regard for her capabilities is the very worst thing the OP can do for his company, since it will just attract more investigation. If the OP instead establishes a customer relationship of respect and cooperation, he would have a better tool to use to bring things back on track to the company's advantage.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:08 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,130,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Your post reeks of jealousy. Keep it up and soon you will find yourself out the door. She has the right to question each and every hour on your invoices. When I was with the State I would ask for explanation for every hour billed to me by the CM consultants. If they couldn't justify I wouldn't pay them. It was tax payers (including me) money and I made damn sure that every penny was justified before spending it on several hundred million dollar construction contracts.
Jealous that I'm not a blond girl? Probably. LOL

I understand the questioning every penny part.

But you're not reading what I'm saying. She keeps throwing out "I think you guys are over charging us" without actually producing anything at all. She has not pointed out anything specific anywhere in our invoices. My boss and I have tried to press her for it before. The only thing she ever said was "the final quantity seems too high". It's not something that a competent person says.

I'm also a project manager. Every time I say something in a meeting or to our contractor, you can betcha that I've done proper research and can be very specific, right down to the penny.

When one is in a position of power like that, one can't just throw around unspecific accusations without having anything to back them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment