Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,358 times

Advertisements

so right now i work in an operation based role at a top financial firm in the world

unfortunately there is NO upward mobility and, as there is a hiring freeze, there is no chance to move laterally either.

therefore, i am look outside of the firm.

trying to figure out the best path for me. one that will lead to a decent lifestyle but also a reasonable income level to help support myself and my future family.

i am angling towards corporate finance and would love some insight. what is the best way to make this kind of drastic move? right now my strategy is to network, hopefully land some "informational" interviews and make enough of an impression for someone to give me a chance.

is 29 years old too old? i almost feel like this ship has sailed as there are so many people younger than me, in more advanced positions that i'd never even be considered.

thoughts? come help cheer me up...PLEASE?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 08:24 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times
29 is too old???!!! I laughed at that one. No, the ship has not sailed. You're doing the right thing by networking and looking for other opportunities. It will happen. Just stay at your current job until you find another job.

Companies want people who can do a good job and add something to their bottom line. You also need to fit in with their culture. Advanced degrees are no guarantee of any of these. Sometimes people get lots of degrees because they never really want to get a real job, or worse, they can't hold a regular job becuase its too confining for them. School is fun!

Don't worry about them anyway. Keep the faith. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2015, 01:02 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
s

is 29 years old too old? i almost feel like this ship has sailed as there are so many people younger than me, in more advanced positions that i'd never even be considered.
I can't speak specifically about corporate finance, but if this is true about many people younger than 29 in higher positions it's probably a safe bet that this career is not a good long term choice for anyone period.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
29 is too old???!!! I laughed at that one. No, the ship has not sailed. You're doing the right thing by networking and looking for other opportunities. It will happen. Just stay at your current job until you find another job.

Companies want people who can do a good job and add something to their bottom line. You also need to fit in with their culture. Advanced degrees are no guarantee of any of these. Sometimes people get lots of degrees because they never really want to get a real job, or worse, they can't hold a regular job becuase its too confining for them. School is fun!

Don't worry about them anyway. Keep the faith. Good luck!
thank you for the kind and inspiring words.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:06 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
29 too old!! What!? Wow, how will you feel at 40? That’s really a head scratcher.

The fact that you put informational interview in quotes is bad. I don’t like the strategy of using informational interviews to land a job. You’re trying to fool someone? Bad move. If you request and get an informational interview but are really trying to get a job with them, that is deception and betrayal. Nobody likes that. Informational interviews are great, use them for what they are.

Aside from developing a higher level of integrity, your best bet to start in a corporate finance role is to apply with a financial firm. And you’re in luck because you currently work for one! Gosh, this is painful – dude, you work for a top finance firm, you want to get into finance, hmmm...what to do, what to do?

Ignore the internal hiring freeze. It’s not set in stone. Believe me, people are still hiring – there is just less of it and people are more careful. Let people know your interested, even if they can’t/won’t hire you know, it’ll be good for the future. Make sure you really are interested and have a good answer to the inevitable question of why you are. That’s the first thing I’d want to get a sense of. If you genuinely are interested, that’s important – in a good way.

Best of luck.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:08 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,148 times
I completely changed my career at age 30 and do pretty OK (I am 36).

What do you mean by "operations"? What is your education in?

The short answer to your question is yes. Just would like to hear a bit more about your background.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times
What kind of job has "no" upward mobility? Make yourself valuable and I'd be willing to bet there's upward mobility of some sort.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I completely changed my career at age 30 and do pretty OK (I am 36).

What do you mean by "operations"? What is your education in?

The short answer to your question is yes. Just would like to hear a bit more about your background.
education = bachelors of science is business

my role = trade management. basically researching and fixing any trading errors, helping our clients navigate our proprietary systems, helping with QA and UAT testing of said systems, end-of-month P&L reporting, etc.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I work with our corporate finance people on a regular basis, and we have had 4 retirement in the last year or so as the boomers start to leave. Only one of the replacements was under 30, and she was a promotion from within. The others were all in their late 30's or early 40s. Part of the reason for that is the experience required. Not many people have 10 years experience at age 26, or even 30.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
You need to go for what you feel is the best option, but be cautious and ensure any moves are well thought-out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment