Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:35 AM

8,220 posts, read 16,719,995 times

Advertisements

Interesting studies point to some negative potential impacts of early retirement on health.

Later retirement linked to lower risk of Alzheimer's, study shows | Reuters

Freakonomics » Retirement Kills: a New Marketplace Podcast

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 PM

7,195 posts, read 9,341,506 times
Correlation does not imply causation.

Perhaps the people retiring early did so because they felt their body deteriorating. The healthy ones kept working.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:56 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,260,495 times
Retired at 53; will be 72 Jan. 5. No mental or neurological problems so far.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:21 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,378 times
Two groups tend to retire at or before age 62, those that are financially secure, and those that were underprepared and forced to retire via being layed off, bought out, or already had health issues. Those that were unprepared and forced into retirement would have significant stress, even if they were not already ill.

I doubt those that are financially secure and retire early are the group of early retirees that are passing in statistically significant numbers, while the later group probably over represents early retirees in early mortality.

As stated above correlation does not equal causation. My bet is high stress, illness, or both are the actual causes of early mortality, not the act of retiring early.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Correlation does not imply causation.

Perhaps the people retiring early did so because they felt their body deteriorating. The healthy ones kept working.
Perhaps in certain cases. And of course there will always be outliers, those who beat the odds. However, research has now been conducted which not only shows correlation but causation as well. Here is one such study:

The Causal Effect of Retirement on Mortality: Evidence from Targeted Incentives to Retire Early

One can always question the research. But I think there is something a bit more obvious to consider here. Like the body, the mind can deteriorate if not exercised or even stressed at times. The old adage 'use it or lose it' not only applies to our bodies but our minds as well. Of course, retirement does not have to lead to an inactive body and mind. However, there can be tendencies or trends within society as a whole for that very thing to happen, statistically speaking.

Derek

Old 12-12-2015, 01:34 PM

I heard a great Ted Talk on this topic from a 93 y/o man. It is well worth a listen if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgoCm1hofM

From now 96 y/o Charles Eugster's website regarding retirement. I think us 'youngsters' could learn a thing or two from this old man:
http://www.charleseugster.net/work

I think he is on to something.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-12-2015 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 01:55 PM

29,848 posts, read 24,947,456 times
From what I observed, people who retire and do nothing are the first to go, or go senile. The key to staying healthy IMO is eating right, making healthy choices in our day to day lives, and staying active. That, and luck. Not always what everyone wants to hear...

Old 12-12-2015, 05:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
I once worked with a guy who retired early. He had serious memory problems. We called him "Every day's a new day Jay." He was already messed up before he took early retirement.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,849,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
From what I observed, people who retire and do nothing are the first to go, or go senile. The key to staying healthy IMO is eating right, making healthy choices in our day to day lives, and staying active. That, and luck. Not always what everyone wants to hear...

From what I observed at work, there were more than a few people still employed who were "going senile."

Generalizations are seldom true.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:07 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,651,311 times
I think that a much more scientific study is needed. That one sounds like it could be an apples to oranges comparison. Only those voluntarily retiring early with no significant medical or mental impairment should be studied on one side, not to mention the playing field should be level financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment