Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 02:06 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,447,801 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

That said - you're going to have a rough time singling HER out when she can point to everyone else who is also getting away with murder, and that she's done it herself. Considering her past behavior I'd try to get rid of her - at least document everything that's happened with the current situation and take it to the partners, possibly cc'ing HR. It's the partners' decision but at least you have done your due diligence. You'll have to start on the others but you've let them walk all over you for so long it'll be next to impossible. Is there any employee orientation that explain policy you can use?....good luck!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-11-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 02:14 PM

674 posts, read 493,221 times
Thanks for the helpful advice! Last time I gave her a bad review for leaving her work incomplete I got yelled at. She went running to one of the partners who we don't even work with and told them that I gave her a bad review because she went on vacation. The partner didn't ask to hear my side of the story. But I do have other managers on my side so will definitely document this now and make sure it is known. I am definitely learning that I need to start being more tough. I can't always be the nice guy or I end up being the one who has to suffer.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,550,192 times
OP, FYI, I was referring to the nature of your position. In my company, we have managers who only manage an employee's work while not having any authority over the employee's performance or salary.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:15 PM

674 posts, read 493,221 times
Yes, I manage the work only. We can give reviews on their performance but have no authority on salary or whether that person will be fired or not.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:42 PM

44,400 posts, read 20,131,487 times
People, please keep the snark to yourselves. This thread has been cleaned up and inappropriate and orphaned posts have been deleted. Stay on topic and refrain from posting personal attacks. That is all.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:39 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,501,292 times
Also, your writing skills are poor: "Us" managers? Sorry, but if you are a professional, you don't write as one would.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 AM

299 posts, read 351,549 times
This sounds like a matter of having a lot of responsibility but no authority. Your leadership has effectively tied your hands and enabled this employee's disrespectful, disruptive and unprofessional behavior. If leadership does not support you and this employee suffers no consequences, there is not much you can do. It starts at the top.

On a separate note, I find it incomprehensible that they would keep and coddle someone who has failed passing an accredited exam. That alone speaks volumes to this employee's value and work ethic.

I am sorry for your frustration. It's not fun having to work under these circumstances.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,376,172 times
I just took a class in managing and sustaining a high performing team. Sounds like your team could really use that!!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,806,083 times
Your problem is you are not a real manager over this person in a true sense of the situation. You are only a supervisor that delegates who does what work. Others above you, kept control of things like when she takes a vacation, etc.

Accept your position, as being one that cannot really manage this person, that you cannot give her a bad review or someone above you will cancel it out and will let her do what she wants to do. That someone above you is going to give her vacation time, regardless of what you think.

In my corporate days, I have seen this kind of situation, and it is terrible for you, and leaves you without control and the ability to get things done. I was fortunate to never be in your position, but have seen others that were.

They have given you the title of manager, but not control over your employees. It is a very difficult position to be in, and makes it hard for you to get your work done when one of your people can leave you in a bad situation trying to get the work out completed.

All you can do is the best you can, with what the company allows you to do, but you have to accept the fact that someone else controls what your employees do, when they take time off, etc., without regards to what your needs are. That is the signs of a poorly run company, and there is nothing you can do about it. Accept that, and let things happen doing the best you can under the circumstances.

My policies when I was in the corporate world, was in my division, that I supervised overall, and the lower rank managers reporting to me, ran their department and I only oversaw the managers not their employees, and they ran the people under them. If they could not make their department run smooth, then they were the ones I called on the carpet, and if they could not do the job I replaced them. The good ones, just got more authority and more people to supervise. Sometimes I would merge two sections and one of the managers of those departments became manager over both. In may opinion that is the way a well managed operation works.

Unfortunately your position is with a company where the supervisors are not allowed to really be managers and oversee the jobs as they should be. Accept it, and you will sleep better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment