Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,203,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Because AF OTS is highly competitive, and the best route to an AF commission will always be through an ROTC program or the AF Academy. Even ROTC graduates are not guaranteed an active duty commission. Short of that, you better have a degree they have a huge need for such as engineering, medical or some other technical field. The AF does not commission kids that get the idea they want to be an officer at the last hour of their degree program. They want dedicated people that are sure to succeed in a very demanding position.
I only ask because more than a few people I know who attended OTS and OCS (for Naval aviation) didn't have technical degrees, yet were/are successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 02:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
First things first, when considering joining the military, remember that you are joining the Military. It's not some club, job or meet-up where you have all the options once you start. When you join you are abandoning the traditional employment route and instead taking a regimented route. Besides the occupational requirements, you also have the physical and mental requirements that goes along with the military. Although the USAF is the most pansy of all branches (I'm a former commissioner officer), it is still part of the armed services and you will have to perform to the standards of an armed forces member. So I want you to carefully consider all the ramifications of military service before contemplating this as a career path.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 13,700 times
Thank you all for the input. Really appreciated it. I don't really care if I get commissioned to become an officer or not, and I agree with Rabrrita on that I have to carefully think this through.

I just want more information on this..like will I still be able to get a civilian job while serving my time, or? What's the timeline / process like?

Old 03-22-2016, 02:27 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I only ask because more than a few people I know who attended OTS and OCS (for Naval aviation) didn't have technical degrees, yet were/are successful.
Yes, the Navy is much different. When I graduated from college, I was advised to go to them. But I know nothing of their commissioning program, and that's not what the OP asked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpckp1994 View Post
I just want more information on this..like will I still be able to get a civilian job while serving my time, or? What's the timeline / process like?
If you go active duty Air Force enlisted you'll be sent to Basic Training in San Antonio and then on to tech school depending upon your AFSC. Then you'll be assigned to any one of the number of Air Force Bases around the world. Getting another "civilian" job will be the last of your worries. Get settled in somewhere and look into educational opportunities. That's the best advice I can give you.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:30 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
You have picked the right branch, IMO. I was in the Marines and wish I had gone into the AF.

My ex GF Son was struggling at finding his place in the world, had menial jobs, etc. So, he enlisted in the Air Force. He joined their MP division and guarded a missile site somewhere out West. He stuck with it and became a recruiter, and, as far as I know, is still in the AF.

They now own two homes, nice cars, and his wife liked it so much she joined the AF and worked in IT. It changed his whole life.

IMO, the AF is the cream of the crop and you don't run as much of a risk of ending up in some God forsaken part of the world with people shooting at you as in other branches.

Don

Old 03-22-2016, 02:39 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Yes, the Navy is much different. When I graduated from college, I was advised to go to them. But I know nothing of their commissioning program, and that's not what the OP asked about.
My post wasn't limited to Navy, but touched on my experiences with folks who have gone through OTS (Air Force) as well. Again, it is precisely because of my experiences that I wanted to know where you were coming from with your earlier, sweeping statement. My community in the Navy is even more technical than aviation (regardless of the department), but we still have a significant number of individuals without a technical degree in the field.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:47 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
I keep coming back to the Finance officer that I knew and loved (she was the sweetest person in the world). She was prior enlisted. But that was the AF Nat'l Guard. A 4-year degree is all that's required. You never know what they have open!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:40 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
I loved my time in the Air Force. Wouldn't trade those years for anything. Air Force, or any branch is not job but a way of life. So you have to approach it with the right mentality. Yes, there are a lot of rules, but no, you don't give up your freedom. Most of the rules are no different than any job out there; just written down. IE, call the boss "sir" or "ma'am" applies just about any job. You don't have to worry what to wear everyday. Get to do important tasks, with cool toys, er tools. Some great people to work with. Downside is some folks drink the blue Kool-Aid a little too much and sometimes they say "go" and you go, whether you want to or not.

It's a great life if you have the right attitude, but not something for everyone. Something you have to decide.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Ha, I was going to ask this same question!

I also am an Econ grad, but I have a minor in Stats and have pretty analytical coursework. From the career page on the Air Force, it looks like an Operations Research Analyst would be the area for me based on my study.

I'd only consider it though if I could jump in as an officer. I don't have any student debt, so that benefit isn't important to me enough for me to consider enlisting. I don't know how many openings the Air Force or the other branches have though. If it's tight, like some are saying, then it might not be an option.

I did email the closest recruiter that I got from the AF website about 2 weeks ago, but I never heard a response back.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:57 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpckp1994 View Post
I never thought I would actually consider this but here I am! I will be graduating college soon with a degree in economics. Currently I have no jobs lined up after graduation and I'm considering joining the military as a last resort.
"A last resort"? I'm not appreciating that attitude. I suspect the military isn't for you. Joining the military isn't something you do as a last resort.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment