Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:14 PM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with being bullied at work? From what I've read on the internet, Bully's never get fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 01:18 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
The topic of bullies sure seems to be an increasingly popular thread on this forum. What's going on in our American workforce that I'm not aware of?

No not been bullied.

But according to some here, bullies have been demoted or let go, but these are rarities and exception not the rule.

HR doesn't want to hear about your problems.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:24 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Bully for them.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Can someone please provide an explanation or detailed description of bullying in the workplace?

Old 03-29-2016, 03:27 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
I spent the past six months dealing with one. I worked for a program manager who thought he could bully me into breaking company processes because he didn't like how long it took to get a specific task done. For a while I simply advised as to why the processes were in place and that I had to follow them. Eventually his antics got worse, and as they did I more firmly stood my ground. Towards the end, he was calling me at home to tell me that rumors were going around that no one liked my work. I laughed it off because my manager said the exact opposite. He eventually complained enough to upper management that he got a "promotion" in the form of being pulled from my contract and pushed into a lesser role.

Once a bully figures out that they cannot bully you, they will stop in one form or another. I guess I don't really get too concerned with a "bully" because they can't do anything to me that I will allow to negatively alter my life. You just have to be willing to stand your ground.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Does anyone have experience with being bullied at work? From what I've read on the internet, Bully's never get fired.
You read correctly. For two reasons. First, it is HR's job to make sure this stuff disappears and cannot possibly be a legal issue. So--by not acknowledging the "bully", they have to do nothing. There is a reason bullies survive while the people they intimidate move on. Second, it is a clinical fact, documented, that in schools and work situations, it is much easier, less effort to quiet the victim rather than confront the bully. So, it is commonplace that the victim gets victimized twice. Just another peripheral negative of many, making HR a "real" department in business's. HR loves, promotes, accommodates work place bullies. If you try to take them on, make sure your resume is updated. You will lose.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 PM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times
Thank you all for your posts and help.

"According to the Workplace Bullying Institute, workplace bullying is abusive conduct that takes the form of verbal abuse; threats, humiliation, or intimidation; or interference that prevents the target from getting work done (sabotage). As in the schoolyard, bullying often starts when one person starts picking on someone else and then enlists others to join in. The workplace bully may be a manager, coworker, vendor, or even a customer."

[url=http://labor-employment-law.lawyers.com/employment-discrimination/workplace-bullying-the-meanest-of-the-mean.html]Is Workplace Bullying Illegal? - Lawyers.com[/url]

I've been the target for over a year. I didn't even know they have a name for it- Bullying.
It really does a number on you emotionally. I'm a strong person but if you bully someone day in and day out it really gets you down after awhile.

thunderkat59, I think you're right.

BTW, I looked up bully's on city-data but didn't find much.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:42 PM

285 posts, read 427,238 times
I've been bullied and harassed in the workplace. I dont understand why

Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
I prefer to call them s***heads. Sorry but I'm in construction. The one I had the most trouble with has gotten people fired in the past. I mostly tried avoiding him at first until he started to disparage my work and literally insult me because he couldn't read the prints or use common sense. I made him look like the idiot he was in front of a few people and he calmed down after that.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
I don't understand how this happens to adults. If someone's behavior towards you is unacceptable, then you need to confront it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment