Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:20 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, it's easier said than done, to confront your attacker. You are in a work environment, it may make YOU look like the trouble maker. Wish that I would have confronted a bully, years ago, before I almost quit my job of 20 years!!! The person got so bad, that she would interfere with my dispatching to people in the field. (worked for a telephone co.)

I finally contacted a lawyer and got some good advise, for the times. I told my boss if he did not get that person off my back, I would sue him, and the business. Well, he did talk to the bully. Then she went on to the next victim.................the bully was fired, years later; she just could not stop her evil ways. I think she was always striving to make herself look better.

If this happened to me today, I would talk to the attacker, (that's what they are) with another person as a witness. Maybe, a union rep, at least another co-worker. You do need a witness, because you know the scumbag, will deny, deny and make you look and feel like a chump.....so sad, but so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:45 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
Not a bully but a weak, narcissistic bi polar liar with major personality disorder. Trust me...what a pleasure...NOT...I feel I'm still suffering a bit of ptsd from the experience!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:56 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can someone please provide an explanation or detailed description of bullying in the workplace?
Example: We have a short deadline om this project. You are coming in Saturday right?

See the movie "office space". It is a prime example of bullying.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:00 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
What helped me get rid of the bully I was dealing with was documentation. I brought up my concerns to my manager a few times and he (the bully) of course denied any wrong-doing. I decided that documentation would help me. I avoided his phone calls after a while and forced him to send me everything via email or text. I kept copies of all of those and forwarded them all to my manager. I had multiple texts at 11pm at night where he was telling me that I was doing a poor job for him and that he wished I had never been moved onto his contract. This was a complete 180 from how he originally acted towards me when I would do whatever he asked until I wised up and realized it was breaking procedure that I would be held accountable for.

After my boss' third failed attempt to get his manager to get him back on track she went to HR. He was disciplined and then quickly moved into another position in a non-management role in another building where he has very little interaction with people. He's good at what he does with our software, but terrible at working with people. He thinks intimidation is the way to get people to do what he wants.... and got away with it for 10 years before working with me. I don't cater to a bully and others shouldn't either.

Let your work speak for itself, document everything when possible, make sure you have documentation of trying to get management to do something, and stand your ground. If no one in the company will help you, speak to an attorney and figure out your options for recourse. Otherwise find something else. No job is worth your mental health.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Document EVERYTHING. Always. Everything. Even the good stuff. I started keeping "worklogs" over a decade ago. Every interaction, every discussion--even and especially good things.

You have no idea how much power you have when you can look in your worklog for keywords or dates or interactions and what the outcome was. Seems like a lot of work, but if you keep up on it (i.e. "write it before you do it") it is a HUGE advantage in many situations.

Also, keep this worklog off the network and always keep a current copy offsite--just in case.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
At my previous employer, virtually all of the senior systems analysts bullied the junior level support staff and our supervisor. The senior analysts would request things that were impossible or impractical, and management would never stand up to them and set expectations accordingly. As time went on, we (juniors) began taking on additional tasks from the seniors, who would not provide any guidance or training on how they wanted it done, then blamed the junior staff, with our management never supporting us in the least.

The assigning of liability/blame game was the primary reason I left, and I emphasized that heavily in my exit interview with HR.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Example: We have a short deadline om this project. You are coming in Saturday right?

See the movie "office space". It is a prime example of bullying.

This is your example of bullying? Asking someone to come in and work overtime to make the deadline?

There's a reason why some people are successful and most are not. I'd venture to say that mindset is almost all of it.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Does anyone have experience with being bullied at work? From what I've read on the internet, Bully's never get fired.
I'm being bullied at the moment by a business analyst who is besties with one of our vice presidents. No point in complaining about it; nobody would believe me or care.

I am working urgently on finding another job or transferring to another group in the company.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times
i was bullied at my last job but more in a little kid bullying way than an adult coworker bullying way... if that makes sense?

i was working at a place that had a lot of people my age... i was 23/24 at the time and this guy who was a year older than me used to come over to my cubicle repeatedly and pick on me. i used to bring lunch 4 days out of the week and he would literally make fun of it - he'd make fun of my lunchbox and the fact that i brought lunch "like a little kid". it was so odd to me. i'm also not the most social person so i'd keep to myself a lot and this type of job required ALOT of social-ness so one day he called me autistic. basically just making fun of me in all sorts of ways.

i could have wrecked him by the way b/c he had a lot of qualities that could EASILY be made fun of... but i chose to just take it and be the bigger person. i don't know, looking back maybe i wish i could have stood up for myself.

i think when people talk about bully's in the workplace they mean more in relation to the actual work being done. this guy was just picking on me like a little kid would bully and make fun of another kid.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:42 AM

792 posts, read 1,177,306 times
Don't worry about hijacking this thread- it's here to help us all.
I have documentation and pictures that actually prove my boss is lying about me. I have documentation that my boss sent to me proving he's lying.
Oh well, it all meant nothing to HR. They still single me out, with a smile no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment