Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 PM

265 posts, read 347,602 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

About three months ago, I applied at two Companies, one of them offered me the position and I recently started, but to be honest, I was VERY interested in the other Company which they just got back to me and called me for an interview.

I am not a job hopper, but realistically speaking, the Company that I work for right now pays roughly 12K less than the other one that just called me for an interview.

I am very undecided and I do not know what to do, I really like the current job but I was more interested in the other one.

What do you think I should do?
Should I go for an interview?
Are they gong to ask me why I am already leaving the new Company?
Do you think I should stay where I am?
Do you think I should transition if the other Company gives me an offer?

Current Company that I recently started working for pays around 46K
Company that just called me for an interview pays around 60K

Both Full time and great benefits

Please let me know
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
I would go to the interview. More money and it is the job you really wanted in the first place.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Go on the interview. No need to worry until you get an offer.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:22 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Definitely go for the interview, no doubt about that. Use the interview to not only try to get the job but to feel out if you really want it.

Be open, honest and sincere about things and let them know why you are interviewing. Yes, you just accepted a new job, which was the right decision and they'll know that. What were you going to do? Wait, just in case the other place ever called? Let them know that you are interviewing because as you said, you are "VERY interested" in them and be prepared to give a well thought out, non BS answer as to why.

If they offer you the job and you want it, take it.

Best of luck.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,077,806 times
I agree go on the interview and see whats up. That would be a nice salary jump. 46k to 60k.

Company that just called me for an interview pays around 60K

Old 03-30-2016, 08:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Would definitely go on the interview. Should you get the other job, I'd leave the current one off the resume altogether.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
First of all, this is an interview not a job offer, so keep things in perspective. Don't hype things up in your own mind until you have an offer letter in your hand.

Many people come to this forum and equate an interview with an offer. Two different things.

It seems like often someone will post a thread in this section practically ready to hand in their two week notice when they haven't interviewed yet. Interesting that we never hear back from these people as they pronlbably never got an offer. I'm just keeping it real.

So take it one step at a time. Go for interview first. Then WHEN you get an official offer letter, do serious thinking about what you want to do. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,730 times
I'd go to the interview but I'm not sure I'd mention that I'm currently employed.
They might not give you the job based on that, alone.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
I'd go to the interview but I'm not sure I'd mention that I'm currently employed.
They might not give you the job based on that, alone.
I can see a potentially awkward scenario here.

What's the OP going to do when they ask why he is looking for a job and applying there?

Will OP lie and say he's unemployed? Will OP mention current job situation, where they will inevitably wonder why he's already applying when he's only been there a short time? These things can be verified offline of course.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:10 PM

289 posts, read 504,507 times
Here's my two cents on this. For one, go to the interview and at least see if the company lives up to the hype you've built up in your mind. I know from experience that "dream jobs" can sometimes be nightmares instead.

Now if they offer you a position and everything about this job is just too great to pass up, you've got a decision to make. Realize that if you leave your job after a few weeks just to take a better job, you could very well burn that bridge with your current company and managers, which would hurt references and networking. If you decide you want to leave anyway, you'll need to soften the blow with as good an excuse as you can muster, preferably something that makes it sound like things aren't working out the way you thought they would. Most jobs start employees off on a 30, 60, or 90 day probationary period so that they can evaluate the employees' work and see if they want to keep them on at that point. I think this is a 2-way street. I feel like your best defense if you leave is not to say "I found a better job so I'm out," but to say, "I appreciate you bringing me on board, and I have the utmost respect for everyone here, but after spending a few weeks here I feel like this job just isn't the best cultural fit for me. I've decided that I would like to end employment during my probationary period rather than asking you to invest any more resources into training me for this role." If they ask you point blank if you've found a new job, say something like "Once I realized this current position was not the right fit for me, I decided to begin searching for a role that fits me better. I have been in touch with a few different employers this week." As long as you are gracious about your exit, you have a chance of saving face. However, there's no guarantee your boss won't be peeved anyway. That's the risk you're taking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment