Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:22 AM

635 posts, read 754,019 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to waitress on the side for several reasons. I already have a FT, M-F day job. I love it and don't want to leave it. However, I need to make some extra money. Where I live, you can say we have a wide variety of dining options. It's not your average town of regular restaurants. Personally, I would rather serve at those spots unique to that city. However, sometimes those restaurants can be harder to get into because they want experience.

My question is this: until I do get experience in the food industry, what restaurants have any of y'all worked at have left a positive experience with you AND you didn't make bad tips? Working PT (12ish hours a week), I hope to bring in an extra $500/month. I've been thinking about PF Changs, Tucanos, Firebirds....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:52 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,823 times
I was going to say Chick Fila. They pay pretty okay and you get sundays off

Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM

973 posts, read 914,685 times
You in SC? Chick Filet for sure, if you're only looking for a chain. I don't know many chain restaurants that collect tips, so if that's what you're hoping to get, probably look at a local restaurant downtown that has good business. Have you considered Starbucks or other coffee shops? G'luck. I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Side money would be nice, but not necessary.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I was going to say Chick Fila. They pay pretty okay and you get sundays off
The Chick Fil As around me do not have waitresses. The OP wants to make good tips... so how would that happen there?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I'm looking to waitress on the side for several reasons. I already have a FT, M-F day job. I love it and don't want to leave it. However, I need to make some extra money. Where I live, you can say we have a wide variety of dining options. It's not your average town of regular restaurants. Personally, I would rather serve at those spots unique to that city. However, sometimes those restaurants can be harder to get into because they want experience.

My question is this: until I do get experience in the food industry, what restaurants have any of y'all worked at have left a positive experience with you AND you didn't make bad tips? Working PT (12ish hours a week), I hope to bring in an extra $500/month. I've been thinking about PF Changs, Tucanos, Firebirds....
Since you don't list your work, I'm going to suggest if it's a "In demand" profession, you might take some jobs out of Craigslist under "Gigs" and even putting out your resume there, who knows? You might get a better off and higher pay for the FT job you have now....

FF? Never should you consider that. Not often do you make any really good money...Unless you have a GREAT personality, you'll, never make good $$$

Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
I don't know many chain restaurants that collect tips, so if that's what you're hoping to get, probably look at a local restaurant downtown that has good business.
TGI Fridays
Applebees
Red Robin
Bob Evans
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
Longhorn
etc
etc
etc
All are chains, and all employ servers who get tipped.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 AM

258 posts, read 299,553 times
If you want to make good money for what it appears to be 2-3 shifts a week (12 hrs), you need to look at restaurants that are either high volume, or have expensive menus. With no experience, the latter might be hard to get on at. I would suggest places that have a large seating area and are right off a highway. I'm thinking something like Cracker Barrel. They do not serve alcohol, so you won't have to worry about learning drinks or getting certification (if your state/city requires a permit to serve). Cracker Barrel is not open really late at night, so you will maximize the amount of money for your time spent. The food is consistent, and I would assume the majority of diners would not sit and languish at their tables like some other restaurants because a lot of the business is travelers. Also, they rarely change their menu, so you are not going to constantly have to memorize a new one and scramble to find different keys on a micros. Keep in mind that most dinner shifts require you to be there before 5, so I would imagine that unless you can work something out with management, you will mostly be working weekend shifts. I used to joke that Cracker Barrel was where old servers go to die (because there are a ton of older women working there), but I had a buddy that ended up working there and he made good money.

My family owned a restaurant growing up, and I worked in every position of a restaurant/bar from dishwasher to management (family and corporate operated) over the course of almost 20 years. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to pm me.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
does it matter? most of them are owned by individual owners and not a corporate store. get to know the owners at any of them and that is the biggest part of you enjoying the place vs it turning into drone work

Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 AM

973 posts, read 914,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
TGI Fridays
Applebees
Red Robin
Bob Evans
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
Longhorn
etc
etc
etc
All are chains, and all employ servers who get tipped.
Aside from Red Robin or Olive Garden, most of these types of restaurants are slow or empty most nights of the week. How you gonna make good tips if you got no customers. Never heard of Longhorn or Bob Evans either, so that's probably regional.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM

635 posts, read 754,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Since you don't list your work, I'm going to suggest if it's a "In demand" profession, you might take some jobs out of Craigslist under "Gigs" and even putting out your resume there, who knows? You might get a better off and higher pay for the FT job you have now....

FF? Never should you consider that. Not often do you make any really good money...Unless you have a GREAT personality, you'll, never make good $$$
I work in sales for literally one of the best companies in the state. If you look up "Best Companies to Work for in SC," mine is on there. There's noway I'm leaving my company. Some emergency medical bills have come up and since insurance won't cover the procedure, I have a hefty monthly payment now. Never think that just because someone needs to get a second job that their first one is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment