Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 04:34 PM

171 posts, read 166,338 times

Advertisements

I definitely don't want to waste time or money on a business studies associate that could be useless, but I'd be willing to sacrifice time and money if it can give me a leg up when applying for office jobs and increase earning potential. Pretty much set on this for my career-- I have a lot of health problems that don't let me do physical work.

I'm hoping for a straight-forward yes or no answer on this one, I'm not open to alternative career suggestions or getting a bachelor's degree because reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 04:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,565,831 times
No

Old 06-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,782 posts, read 81,743,750 times
Working where there are probably 100 administrative assistants, I can tell you that you will be competing with people having 4 year degrees, and even some with advanced degrees like MBA. Yes, anything you can do, such as an AA will help.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:25 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,489,017 times
There are AS degrees in technology, manufacturing, and healthcare that will set you up for better than the near min wage most admins get

Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,782 posts, read 81,743,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There are AS degrees in technology, manufacturing, and healthcare that will set you up for better than the near min wage most admins get
Ours start at $22, and with several levels can get up over $30 in time.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:33 AM

105 posts, read 105,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queldorei View Post
I definitely don't want to waste time or money on a business studies associate that could be useless, but I'd be willing to sacrifice time and money if it can give me a leg up when applying for office jobs and increase earning potential. Pretty much set on this for my career-- I have a lot of health problems that don't let me do physical work.

I'm hoping for a straight-forward yes or no answer on this one, I'm not open to alternative career suggestions or getting a bachelor's degree because reasons.
Your best bet is getting a job as a receptionist. Some companies will promote you from the position, but that is a rarity. If you do become a receptionist, you will need to learn Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint at least to be become an admin asst. Companies will test you, not just the employment agencies. So you gotta know the MS Office Suite inside and out. Plus, many companies want you to be in a specialized field, such as finance, construction or medical.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:09 AM

12,920 posts, read 9,181,354 times
What is it that you want to do as an admin?

Here's the thing, it's not only about know Word, Excel, PPT, (and now add SharePoint) to the list, but knowing what to do with them, as well as any unique programs in the business you work for. What are the proper ways to do a letter; to file; to keep records. True modern admins don't just sit around and answer the phone and type, they create product. That's why the admin education is important. My bet is only one in ten admins actually knows how to do the job. But those who do are worth their weight. Be that one in ten.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 AM

299 posts, read 351,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What is it that you want to do as an admin?

Here's the thing, it's not only about know Word, Excel, PPT, (and now add SharePoint) to the list, but knowing what to do with them, as well as any unique programs in the business you work for. What are the proper ways to do a letter; to file; to keep records. True modern admins don't just sit around and answer the phone and type, they create product. That's why the admin education is important. My bet is only one in ten admins actually knows how to do the job. But those who do are worth their weight. Be that one in ten.

Don't forget about research projects and project management. Critical thinking is also a huge plus.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:11 AM

23,704 posts, read 24,260,266 times
Any level of education will help you.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:17 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,231,171 times
I have an associates in applied science for computer stuff. I can tell you right now with no experience an associates degree is just about worthless. Companies want people with no experience to have a bachelors. im not sure why you need a bachelors for a entry level position now but that's the new norm. next thing you will need is a phd for entry level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment