Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,804,468 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow city-data members,

I have been posting on the work and employment section for a while now and thank you all so far for the advice. I was supposed to start for a lady in the LA area part time, but now she can only offer me 15 hours max. I told her I would do it, but I'd have to work remote and she agreed. Mostly the work would be running her Word press site (blog).

My question is how do you work out pay, a contract, and hours for a project like this? Is there a program people who freelance use that tracks hours? I don't want to run into the problem with her where thinks I should have done more work. If she is paying me for 15, then she gets 15 hrs of work.

My next big task is working with the temp agency for a full-time position.

So far, I have three choices ahead of me in the San Fernando Valley. My parents think I should find something in Ventura County (north of LA), but honestly it's looking like not much in VC. The one opportunity in VC I already posted about it and it seems like it could be a dead end call center job and I don't need to move to only be stuck at a dead end position.

I want a good job, but I am trying to figure how do you know if the staffing person is not trying to give you a bad one. My parents are naive and stuck in a 60s mindset and when I told them something they found it hard to believe they are lying and this lead to an argument and borderline, they are salesmen, and they want me placed, so they get paid. I hate haggling. I sometimes have to raise my tone and be firm with the staffing people. Is this how it has to be until I get them to get the position I want and not the one they are just trying to fill?

The temp agency is called Apple One.

What should I do?

Thank you,

the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:45 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,601,662 times
You don't work by the hour, get her to pay you $X for a month of service, price out what you think you can do in 65 hours and see if she agrees to price/work. If you can get work done in less time then do so, if you need to spend more time, eat the cost and give her new price next time. It will be a contract job so you are responsible for taxes and such...

$2500/month seems like a reasonable rate for skilled contract work, or $650 if she doesn't expect much and you have no skills to show you are worth more

Old 06-15-2016, 11:37 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,804,468 times
Do I get paid in advance or after the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment