Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:07 PM

21 posts, read 21,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've done that long commute for likely less money than you'll be making. Personally, I don't see a 30 minute commute being that big of a difference. It's better sure, but I'd be taking the money. Now, a 15 minute or less commute? I'd be going that route.
The drive to the lower paying job would be considerably faster, just would depend on how close I can move to it. It could be as low as 10 minutes away, as all the times I have factored from my current location at my parent's house.

The closest I could truly get (with my girlfriend), would be at least 30-40 minutes. That isn't horrible, but with traffic being very congested on all the roads that I would travel, it would easily add 10-30 minutes on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Since you're young and a recent grad I'd take the job where you could learn the most, regardless of pay or commute time. Either way, stick it out for 4 or 5 years and learn as much as possible then move on to a better paying or more conveniently located job.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
I did that commute. For the title, advancement and money.

Don't forget snow etc. Sometimes I got a hotel room instead of coming home during a big storm. WHEN I WAS IN I.T. LOL.

It's a no brainer for me because as you advance you'll be building on that.

HOWEVER, you need to factor in wear and tear on your car, the shape it's in now, and the expense of that and saving for a new one instead of BIG CAR LOANS.

But you sound like you really wouldn't like the commute so maybe it's not your thing.

ALSO there's a big difference between fields. Do you know anyone in production who can tell you what the work culture is? What about benefits, bonuses etc?

It's a REALLY BAD idea to move in with your girlfriend under these circumstances.

I say that as a mom. Of a son who's done that. Twice. The first time they both needed roommates. Out of college! She got increasingly clingy and impatient for a marriage commitment even though they were NOWHERE near that stage and he told her that from day one. And by clingly I mean getting mad that he'd go to his bosses company anniversary party which included clients when she had to work.

It'll make or break a relationship so make sure you're aware of that.

And when you break up or she becomes unemployed, you'll be stuck with the full expenses.

On second thought maybe take the closer one ha ha.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
I just had this dilemma about a month and a half ago and took the higher paying job with the longer commute.

What exactly will you be doing in the IT field? I work in software development and the nice thing is that while there are "core hours" they are usually between 9 and 3. This allows me to work my schedule around rush hour. I leave at 6:45 in the morning and get to work in ~25-30 minutes since there is no rush hour and I leave in the afternoon at about 3:45 and miss the heavier rush hour which takes ~50 minutes to get home. If you are willing to adjust your schedule to work your commute around rush hour then I highly suggest the higher paying job.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I just had this dilemma about a month and a half ago and took the higher paying job with the longer commute.

What exactly will you be doing in the IT field? I work in software development and the nice thing is that while there are "core hours" they are usually between 9 and 3. This allows me to work my schedule around rush hour. I leave at 6:45 in the morning and get to work in ~25-30 minutes since there is no rush hour and I leave in the afternoon at about 3:45 and miss the heavier rush hour which takes ~50 minutes to get home. If you are willing to adjust your schedule to work your commute around rush hour then I highly suggest the higher paying job.
Well both programs are rotational, so one does three different jobs over a 2-3 year span. The core hours are the same as you mentioned, but traffic is still pretty rough for me, no matter if I leave at 6 or 8.

The money is definitely worth it, but the other lower paying job has its benefits too.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:35 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Take the higher paying job. You'll be much farther ahead in the long run. You can save money to move closer or be in position to negotiate an even higher salary in the future because your salary is higher. In the meantime, invest in books on tape and make good use of that commute time.

I spent the first 18 months after I graduated from college driving 50 miles one way to work. Then I landed a better position closer to home because of the position I took in the first place. The long commute is likely temporary. If the job works out and you stay, you move. If it doesn't you find a better job closer to home.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Take the higher paying job. You'll be much farther ahead in the long run. You can save money to move closer or be in position to negotiate an even higher salary in the future because your salary is higher. In the meantime, invest in books on tape and make good use of that commute time.

I spent the first 18 months after I graduated from college driving 50 miles one way to work. Then I landed a better position closer to home because of the position I took in the first place. The long commute is likely temporary. If the job works out and you stay, you move. If it doesn't you find a better job closer to home.
Well both jobs are rotational programs and one stays in the program for at least 3 years, so the commute will be most likely a for sure thing.

Both companies do offer career growth and advancement, so it really isn't sadly a simple decision.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:10 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
If the OP had a family, I would recommend the shorter commute. Having done all kinds of commutes ranging from 5 to 75 minutes one-way, there is something to be said for not having to drive far.

You need to think about transportation costs since gasoline, maintenance, and wear and tear on your car is not free. When I had the 75 minute commute & was putting 17-18K miles a year on my car, I had to take that into account. With that amount of time sunk into a car you should also drive a car that you LIKE to drive.

However, with no family, even paying a car premium, the extra 9-12K (15K minus car expenses) may be worth it.

Time with your family is priceless, and you'll find out soon enough that trading time with them for a few bucks & much more car time for does not price out for any amount of $$.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Also consider how much your time is worth.

If you're commuting 2 extra hours a day, factor that into your salary.

If you're choosing between a job paying 110K and 121K, that's only a 10% increase but your commute would add around 25% to your time revolving around your job.

So perhaps if the lower paying job pays 60K or less, it might make sense to take the higher paying one.

And these salary figures should be calculated after-taxes and after subtracting commute expenses respectively.
This is the OPs first job. He has no experience. At this stage money matters. This 10k pay cut in your first step in the career ladder has a way way larger impact. This is the age to sock away a lot for retirement. More money is better early in your career.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 AM

13 posts, read 14,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus27 View Post
My parents luckily are pretty accomodating for letting me stay at home. My girlfriend is the one who is pushing to move out, which then affects where to move to and thus what job to choose. The commute would get old but the higher paying company is more well known than the low paying job's company. So it slightly complicates things.
Unless you aren't planning on sticking with the current GF, you may wanna actually listen to her. She's smart. Get closer to your high paying job, make more money, shorter commute, happier GF. Simple easy choice.

How is this a complicated decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment