Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:55 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Why not take a month long vacation, start new job and if you like it, you quit half way through vacation. If you don't like it, just come back from vacation.

Also nothing wrong with learning new things at current job and moving up there.
Ummm...I think that would get you fired per conflict of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,175,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I've done exactly this, OP. I have left jobs and cities, that I regretted leaving only weeks later. Leaving a job or a location is a case of the "devil you know".
This.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,470,655 times
Current situation. I think all those things ("What if they are just as bad or worse?"), but you have to have faith. My time is important, and so is my health. I'll just have to take my chances. Another job could be just as bad or worse...but it could be better. I'll never know if I don't try.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,256,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I've done exactly this, OP. I have left jobs and cities, that I regretted leaving only weeks later. Leaving a job or a location is a case of the "devil you know".
Did it have disasterous consequences? Or you simply found something new and moved on?

Old 07-21-2016, 03:22 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,828,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i'm in a very "cushy" position but i'm bored out of my mind and not learning anything new (i'm in the accounting field FYI). i feel like i need to leave in order to learn new things and possibly move up. so i had made the decision to start interviewing and looking for something new. the problem is that i start to get so nervous about starting a new job and think of all the things that could go wrong/be horrible at the new place that i talk myself out of it. like what if everyone is really rude/mean at the new place? whereas at my current position i know how everyone is already. or what if i have a hard time learning all the new stuff at the new job and i get fired? whereas at my current position i know how to do everything with my eyes closed. what if i have to work overtime at the new job? whereas at my current position i know i'm out the door at 530 everyday.

has anyone ever taken a new job and then regretted it and wished they could have their old job back?
Yes and I was lucky enough to get my old job back 2 weeks later. I had a very cushy secure job that was also 9-6 M-F with no overtime ever. I took a job where I knew the manager and was about a 20% pay increase. The new job had a rotating on call responsibility which I had done in the past and didn't think it would be a big deal. It became painfully obvious during week one that I would be getting called in the middle of the night at least 2-3 nights per week when on call and have to actually get in the car and drive into the office at least one of those times. I also realized that I would also be working at least 30-60 minutes OT every day and the commute was much worse on top of it. The OT and on call was all paid but in the end it wasn't worth the stress or lifestyle change. I also felt like they were misleading about the time commitment during interviews because I kept asking about it. I was very lucky that my old position was still open and I left on good terms and my old boss really liked me. Of course he also loved to mention it for years about how great it is to work for him because I left and came right back.

But I've also had several jobs in the past 15 years and never had regret in any other move. There is always going to be a fear of the unkown

Old 07-21-2016, 04:05 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,429,147 times
Yes, I was working for a temp service at the time. I get this call from a lawyer wanting me to come and work for him as his admin assistant. Now I had no AS training whatsoever. The temp agency knew what kind of guy he was and they highly recommended I not work for him. However, I blindly thought I could be his AS/Office Manager. I failed miserably and was fired within three months. Moral of the story: I learned my lesson.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:48 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,276,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am sure many people have.
Change requires adjustment; some adjust better than others.
So true. Add in the one which might be biggest of all , that being FLEXIBILITY

Be flexible in your new work place as your old experiences do not really apply anymore. Take what you achieved in your previous roles and apply to the new environment. Forget expectations or what you think should be different. Too early for that. Now you just have to go with the flow.

Also, by leaving at 5:30pm each day, this does not auger well for good impressions for a new employee. You should be showing genuine interest and seeing what else you can do to help out there. Boredom for you right now, trust me in telling you that the company eyes and ears might be getting bored with you leaving on time each day.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,694,212 times
I left the insurance field after finding out it wasn't right for me.. Boring and slow paced. I haven't ever regretted leaving any job though, everything has worked out for the best. I think looking at new options isn't a bad idea at all, just be prepared for that transition and understand it will be different - people's personalities and job requirements. If you handle and adjust to change fairly well then you should be fine. It is the one thing I hated about job changes - new set of coworkers and management to get use to. Normally after a couple months I'm use to things again. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:15 PM

676 posts, read 726,666 times
Ive had over 30 jobs. I can say there are more jobs I was glad I took than there was jobs I regreted taking. Obviously there are some places that suck but you can always find something better. Personally if I was in a comfy long term position that paid what I wanted, I would just deal with being bored.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:26 AM

292 posts, read 726,006 times
Unfortunately with the volatile job market these days many people are obliged to not only take a new job but literally uproot themselves and go to a new place. In many cases this pays off, but the reality is that this is a high risk high reward venture. Like what many people said on this thread, you may end up hating the job and you went through the effort of moving across the country or even overseas. Conversely, you may end up liking the job but hate the location. From my experience after a couple years a job becomes a routine, and you end up knowing the inner workings of the politics. This usually reveals nepotism/corruption. Welcome to the life of an Employee.. at least that has been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment