Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

I recently started a new job on a med-surg floor.

I have 14 years experience as an RN.

There is this Lpn with 20 years experience working there as an Lpn who seems angry at her new coworker Rn's because we get paid more than her even though Rn's go to school longer.
I am talking about a rate as high as $8/hr more.

She has worked at the same place ever since she became an Lpn 20 years ago.

She basically does the exact same thing we do,well,at least on the surface it seems that way.

I think the bosses are trying to get rid of her and she is taking it out on the new workers.
However,i know it is sad and all but she had to have known that employers were requiring nurses to have more and more education and wanted to make the hospital a magnet hospital with an all Bsn nursing workforce.

I did ask this on another board and many were saying it was not fair because she has more experience,but i say we have more education,so what is the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:02 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
How is the pay rate known, is that something openly discussed in that field/environment?

Further proof that salary and pay is something never to be discussed in the work environment despite what some say.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
honestly, i would just not let this bother you.. There are pay differences everywhere, regardless of field, and sometimes it's very unfair where you have folks that are better educated and with more experience making the same as someone with much less experience. It happens. Nothing you can do about it, but i would say it sounds like this person is known as a "problem" and it would be best to stay away from her.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How is the pay rate known, is that something openly discussed in that field/environment?

Further proof that salary and pay is something never to be discussed in the work environment despite what some say.
Yes,and generally Rn's get paid more than Lpn's because of the education levels.

Rn's have an Associates in nursing or a Bachelor's in nursing.

Lpn's have a certificate from a trade school,but some Lpn's have Associates in nursing.

They also take different licence exams.

The Nclex Rn is considered harder than Nclex PN.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
honestly, i would just not let this bother you.. There are pay differences everywhere, regardless of field, and sometimes it's very unfair where you have folks that are better educated and with more experience making the same as someone with much less experience. It happens. Nothing you can do about it, but i would say it sounds like this person is known as a "problem" and it would be best to stay away from her.
????????????

The RN's in the OP are getting paid much more than the LPN.
( as it should be )

Certainly the disgruntled LPN knew this ever since she entered the nursing profession.
I can't believe she didn't realize staying as a LPN was going to cost her big time $$$$$$$$$$ over her career.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Simple she should (should have) gone and gotten an RN Degree (4 yrs). That is the way it works in HC. Some RNs do the same thing as doctors - they get paid less.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 AM

973 posts, read 915,539 times
It sucks, but it happens. It's not unfair because one has higher education...even if it's just two extra years. I think after a certain point you reach a threshold where the years in a workplace doesn't matter...someone working 14 vs another working 20 years won't be that much different.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There are 3 of my life mployees ith the same title, and their pay varies by as much as $6/hour. It's just not at all unusual. In our case, it depends on negotiated starting pay within the range, annual performance based raises, and how long they have been there getting raises.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:19 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I did ask this on another board and many were saying it was not fair because she has more experience,but i say we have more education,so what is the problem?
Education is the key factor. She should quit complaining and either further her education or accept her pay. You put a lot of effort and time in your education, she chose not to.

There are many professions where a subordinant even knows and can do more than their supervisors. However, they will never get their salary because their education and title aren't of the better educated person. It just is how it is.

We have mechanics here who know more about cars and do twice as much work as our engineers but they get paid a fraction because they have no bachelors or masters degree. It just is how it is.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
Most hospitals, at least the ones around here, are trying to phase out LPN positions. In light of that, she shouldn't complain. I'm pretty sure she knows there is a large pay gap between the two so it sounds like she's just a bitter person who is regretting not continuing with her education and obtaining her RN degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment