Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:50 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,827,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Are you AIA? There's gotta be a firm or two out there you could consult with on the side.
I actually have to be careful with working with the AEC industry, because my company designs software for the AEC industry. But aside from Marketing/Advertising agencies arhictecture firms is where I have the most connections and biggest networks. So I don't want to cause any problems with my company. So I rather shy away from AEC firms, to avoid any problems.

I actually work in content marketing, but I know how to build websites, do SEO, do graphic design, I can do animations, how to film and edit movies, and also launched a podcast in my last job.

With that being said, what I would really love to do is launch my own magazine. I am still working on theme/subject of it. What I am thinking of doing first is launching it as a podcast, interviewing people where they share their stories (I love interviewing and am a real good interviewer), and basically launching a podcast show that airs once a month. Based on the reception I get from it, then see if I want to expand it to an online digital magazine.

I want to start with a podcast because starting it alone, a podcast is much easier than a full fledged online news/magazine. If I can get revenue off the podcast then I will look into fleshing out the magazine.

I am Latino, and plan on utilizing what Trump has done in regards to his remarks on Mexicans, to share stories of Latinos who are movers and shakers in the US. So it could range from an interview with someone like Jennifer Lopez (I wish) to the CEO of United Airlines who is Latino (I know lots of people in their PR department) to an artist that is changing the landscape in Miami in the Wynwood area. I think I just want to show how Latinos are helping shape the US Culture and economy, through different ways, because being Latino is very important to me too and I am passionate about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah actually we have had that discussion with my boss about a week ago. She wants to make sure that I feel I am going in the right career trajectory. So with that being said this month after we go through some projects they are opening up some of my creative freedoms. Perhaps that will help.
Hope you do, 75K a year is nothing to blow off

Old 08-08-2016, 02:57 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,992,785 times
Probably because you're underutilized and see a bunch of good for nothing morons moving up in the ranks while you're stuck in the same spot forever.

Welcome to Corporate America

Old 08-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Probably because you're underutilized and see a bunch of good for nothing morons moving up in the ranks while you're stuck in the same spot forever.

Welcome to Corporate America
That's not entirely true. However, it's amazing how many incompetent people are working here. Nice people, but the simple fact that I am only giving it 50% and it's impressing them, kind of shows how challenging it is here. With that being said I do get paid well, and perhaps it's an opportunity to really take the reins and blow them away and build a name for myself in the industry.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:05 PM

I just joined a boxing gym that opened up a month ago and I love it! I am also going to see if I can help them out with content and social media marketing. I think that also might help feed some creativity, almost coming in as a creative consultant for marketing for them.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times
Quote:
Sort of. I think I am just very very bored and can't decide if I need to suck it up or do something about it.
Find a challenge outside of work.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:29 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,421 times
Why do you always want more? If you end up just wanting more you'll just end up being disappointed all the time.

Its 430 I have a life outside of work and you should too..... just saying theres more to life than work

Old 08-08-2016, 09:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
I was the same way for many years. It took two horrible jobs to realize be happy with what you have. Currently I work for a great boss, flexible schedule and supportive coworkers. My job isn't fulfilling and I don't enjoy most aspects of it. However for me, the important part is a great boss and flexibility, I let the other stuff go.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
That's not entirely true. However, it's amazing how many incompetent people are working here. Nice people, but the simple fact that I am only giving it 50% and it's impressing them, kind of shows how challenging it is here. With that being said I do get paid well, and perhaps it's an opportunity to really take the reins and blow them away and build a name for myself in the industry.
The best thing I can say is make sure you save a good percentage of that 75K salary. The name of the game is to buy yourself options so that you can walk away from any employment situation that isn't to your liking. Once you have enough money, you could also mean you work your own business at your own pace without having to worry too much about income.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOp...zuHxfcK5SSiZ2A

Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,328,339 times
Quote:
I just joined a boxing gym that opened up a month ago and I love it! I am also going to see if I can help them out with content and social media marketing. I think that also might help feed some creativity, almost coming in as a creative consultant for marketing for them.
Instead of doing free work for a profit-making company, do some volunteer work. There are plenty of not-for-profits who have jobs that need to be accomplished that would be worth your time. I wrote a couple of successful proposals that gained funding for a non-profit whose goals I admired and ended up on their board of directors in less than a year. Once you get on a board, you meet the movers and shakers who are on other boards and you become sought after for advisory jobs. As a volunteer you can often do jobs two or three levels above your pay grade in the corporate world.

In no time at all, you'll be too busy to notice you're bored at work. What are you interested in? The arts? The environment? Education? Curing diseases? Addressing poverty or youth problems? Mental health? All of these are areas where intelligent people can make a mark and help stud their resumes with impressive accomplishments.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 08-08-2016 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment