Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,319 times

Advertisements

I'm an up and comer in a small regional boutique and while I get lots of time with business owners, executives, and upper management, I rarely get any face time with people from entry level on up to middle management. I'm curious on how consultants are perceived in your organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,057,818 times
We've worked with a few consultants in my career. Some great, some not so great. We always try and take referrals and look at applicable experiences before hiring. And, we always communicate expectations and goals up front.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:31 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,945,440 times
usually a total waste - they're into writing massive papers with a bunch of industry jargon that's basically duplicated from efforts they have done at other companies and it ends up being re-done when they're gone because of the utter uselessness. Usually it's an executive okaying the expense and they don't understand that a regular FTE hire would be much more beneficial.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:12 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
There are plenty of times where you need outside consultants because there may not be business justification for keeping expertise in house.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:14 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
I think it really depends on the field of expertise.

We use a lot of consultants and, in truth, we rely on them to help us reach goals that we could not reach without their resources. In short, we could not function efficiently without consultants.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Most of that corporate "rah rah" be it consultants or employees in the company giving their "motivational speeches" or supposed experts throwing their 2 cents in is a waste of money.

Thats extra money that can go to your people who are actually working and PRODUCING.

Money talks, BS walks

Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Most of that corporate "rah rah" be it consultants or employees in the company giving their "motivational speeches" or supposed experts throwing their 2 cents in is a waste of money.

Thats extra money that can go to your people who are actually working and PRODUCING.

Money talks, BS walks
Maybe you're thinking of something totally different, but professional services can definitely be worth it.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
On the whole, if the consultant is hired to asses INTERNAL matters, I think a consultant won't tell you anything your workers and executives don't already know. TPTB won't ask workers but will bring in a consultant to find out. (Which is one reason workers don't think management CARES to REALLY know the honest to G-d truth about place.)

One place I worked hired a consultant and when I saw the report I thought it was full of trite cliches, and very subjective.
Another employer wasted money to hire a productivity consultant who didn't tell them anything people actually doing the jobs couldn't have told management -- anonymously, of course.

Yet, I know a business consultant whose expertise is group dynamics, who swears outside eyes and ears can add a fresh perspective. And I can't just universally disagree.

If the consultant is hired to assess industry markets and potential business matters then, I still think "it depends."

Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Usually a waste of money...but it's not my money to waste. So, ultimately, I don't care.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,472 times
I worked for a company that had hired a consultant (who they paid a ton more than they were paying me for the time that he was there) who took several months to write code for something that was really pretty minor.

Subsequent to adding this code to the project, the software started crashing at random times. Frequent restarts required.

A coworker had me look at the code and I had it fixed in less than 15 minutes. Could have written the code in about a week, where it took the consultant months, had they given the project to me.

Turned out the guy was not doing any garbage collection which caused the random crashing. Looking at crash logs made that really obvious, I don't know why it was a problem for them to find at all. Had that fixed in 15 minutes and took another 15 minutes or so to clean up the code to an acceptable level.

In the main most of the tech consultants I've had to work with were not that useful. If nothing else, the startup time to come up to speed was excessive compared to the work they actually performed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment